Data science is an evolving field that can penetrate into the power of data and empower the organizations to run efficiently and effectively as well as offer the best products and services to customers. Pursuing PG Diploma in data science in Canada helps students learn data visualization, interdisciplinary data collection, and examination techniques, presentation skills, statistical and computational analytics, application of the fundamental core concepts, and tools of data thinking to their work in any industry or sector.
A PG diploma in data science is a specialized course usually spanning around 12 months. However, for students laddering from the certificate program, it can be around eight or four months. The maximum time to complete the course is three years. It is one of the highly chosen programs in the domain of STEM. Moreover, the course is offered by internationally recognized universities providing the best infrastructure on a global level.
The program would act as a benison for students aspiring to become Data Analysts. The average annual base salary of a Data Scientist in Canada is CAD 81,524. Read on to know the PG diploma in data science eligibility, the admission process, and more.
Why Pursue a PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada?
Pursuing a PG diploma in data science in Canada is rewarding. Some of the top reasons to pursue it are listed below:
- Canadian universities and institutions offer advanced data science degrees, including advanced diploma courses.
- Canada offers great employment prospects for skilled data scientists in various business and economic sectors.
- Academic and living costs are also comparatively low in Canada in comparison to other nations like the UK and USA.
- Canada offers a multicultural and diverse environment that draws international students.
- Data science is a flourishing career field with numerous opportunities for skilled professionals. The course is tailored as per the current industry trends.
Also Check : Study in Canada
Course Overview of PG Diploma in Data Science Courses in Canada
It is indispensable for students to have a comprehensive idea about the PG diploma in data science in Canada colleges. The table below encapsulates the crucial information for students to make an informed decision.
University of Waterloo Langara College HEC Montreal University of Calgary Financial and Energy Markets Health Data Science and Biostatistics Big Data Analytics Statistical Analysis Informatics
12 months (maximum time to complete: 3 years)
Online / Offline
Type of Study
Full-time / Part-time
Top Universities & Colleges
Average Annual Tuition Fee for International Students
CAD 15,000 to CAD 40,000
University of Waterloo
University of Calgary
Financial and Energy Markets
Health Data Science and Biostatistics
Big Data Analytics
Specializations in PG Diploma in Data Science Courses in Canada
Students have the option to enhance their knowledge of the subject with the various specializations available in PG diploma courses in data science in Canada
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Mining
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Big Data Analytics
- Statistical Analysis
- Health Data Science and Biostatistics
Best Colleges/Universities for PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada
Here are leading options for PG diplomas in data science in Canadian colleges:
Name of the Institution
Name of the Course
Average Tuition Fee for International Students
Data Analytics (Post-Degree Diploma)
CAD 18,726 (30.00 credits)
Langara College, Vancouver
Post-Degree Diploma in Data Analytics
CAD 590/ credit (48 credits)
University of Calgary
Diploma in Data Science & Analytics
CAD 4,080/ 3 terms
University of Waterloo
Graduate diploma in data analytics
Graduate Certificate in Information Systems and Security Analysis
CAD 30,000 (total)
Source: University Official Website
PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada – Admissions
Admissions are held in three sessions – January, September, and May. Average program tenure ranges from 12 to 24 months, however, in some universities it can be 24 months course. A student has to apply directly at the online portals of their chosen university and submit all the documents alongside.
- Students should have qualified for the English language proficiency test.
- A four-year baccalaureate degree or equivalent is paramount. The successful completion of the following undergraduate courses: computer programming or computer science, statistics or equivalent, and calculus or linear algebra.
- They should have qualified for one of the following English Language Proficiency Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL)
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC)
- Some universities might require GRE or GMAT Scores.
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of Work Experience
- TRF of English Proficiency Language
Application Process to Study PG Diploma in Data Science Courses in Canada
Before applying for the course, a student must check the PG diploma in data science eligibility criteria. Moreover, the eligibility criteria might differ from university to university. A student should have a minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- Students need to choose the specialization they would like to pursue.
- Submit the application form and the application fee.
- Then, a student is required to submit all the required documents to the university.
- Students might be asked to give an interview.
- They can also look for scholarships or financial aid, if available at the university.
- Then, the university will contact the student with an admission offer, most likely via email. They must then confirm the student’s acceptance in order to be admitted to the university.
- After receiving the admission offer, the student needs to apply for a study permit in Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada
Here are the eligibility criteria for a data science PG diploma in Canada:
- At least 60% marks in calculus or mathematics in the 11th and 12th grades.
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject with a GPA of at least 3 in the last couple of years.
- Some institutions insist on statistics, computer programming, linear algebra, technology, science, calculus, computer science, and others.
- Those without degrees in these subjects may demonstrate their proficiency with work experience or through an additional course.
- The undergraduate degree should span four years in total.
- IELTS/PTE/TOEFL/CAEL/ACC scores.
Cost of Studying PG Diploma in Data Science Courses in Canada
The average fees for a diploma in data science in Canada should range between CAD 15,000 to CAD 30,000 per year, for a PG diploma in data science courses in Canada. Apart from paying the tuition fee, a student needs to pay other expenses as well. It would add up to the cost of studying the course.
Yearly Expenses (estimated)
Books and supplies
Health and Dental Insurance: International
Accommodations (rent and food)
Note: The expenses can vary based on the province/ university chosen by the student.
Syllabus for PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada
The syllabus for a PG diploma in data science in Canada usually includes the following modules:
- Mathematics for Data Analytics
- Working with Data and Visualization
- Modelling with Data
- Computing for Data Analytics
- Data Analysis and Statistical Interface
- Big Data Management
- Machine Learning
- Predictive Analysis
- Statistical Methods in Data
- Communications for Data Profession
- Decision Analytics
- Project Management
- Advanced Exploration and Visualization in Health
- Predictive Analytics II
- Employment Search Strategies
- Health Data Science
- Advanced Statistical Modelling
- Big Data in Health
- Data Mining for Data Analytics
- Actionable Visualization and Analytics
- Developing Big Data Applications
If the program comprises internships or work experience, this is included after the fourth term or semester. Any practical experience will give you an edge over others.
Scholarships to Study Data Science Courses in Canada
Apart from looking for the best colleges in Canada for PG diploma in data science, students should know the gamut of scholarships offered by the universities. Students can avail the benefits of university-specific, privately funded, and government-funded scholarships.
International Entrance Scholarships
International students showing high academic performance
CAD 2,000 – 4,000
University of Waterloo
Ontario Trillium Scholarship
Merit-based; offered to students with exceptional performance
University of Waterloo
President’s Graduate Scholarship
Offered to outstanding graduate students
Douglas International Regional Entrance Awards & Education Entrance Scholarships
Automatic assessment (only international students)
Total distribution of CAD 100,000 to all the applicants
Source: University Official Website
Difference Between a PG Diploma and Masters in Data Science in Canada
When a student opts for a master degree in data science in Canada, it would cost them higher in terms of the tuition fee, as well as the duration. An MS in data science is for a duration of two years whereas a PG diploma in data science in Canada is a short-term 1-year course, and would cost a student less. However, if a student applies to Langara College, the PG diploma would be of two years.
The MS in data science in Canada fees for PG level programs lie somewhere between CAD 30,000 to CAD 50,000 per year; and CAD 10,000 to CAD 30,000 for the complete PG Diploma and Graduate Certificate courses.
Both the courses have equal scope in the future, a master’s degree might help the student get a better return on investment by offering a higher salary. Moreover, it would offer a student the chance to opt for doctoral and research programs as well.
Jobs after PG Diploma in Data Science in Canada
After completing a PG diploma in data science in Canada, getting a job is not difficult. If a student has achieved their certification, they can start working as a data scientist, data administrator, data analyst, data engineer, database architect, and database administrator, to name a few job roles. The minimum salary is roughly CAD 31,000 annually, while experienced professionals earn up to CAD 137,000 annually. There are innumerable job opportunities available for data science professionals in Canada.
Study in Canada with upGrad Abroad
With upGrad Abroad, pursue BBA in Canada at Yorkville University, Canada, and save up to ₹25 lakh as compared to a regular degree course in Canada. Bachelor of Business Administration is a four-year course where in the first two years you will be studying online with an Indian Partner University. For the third and the fourth year, you will be going to Canada and studying at Yorkville University. To know more, get in touch with our counsellors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Doing a PG diploma in data science means opening up the gateway toward employment opportunities as data engineers, analysts, scientists, and business analysts. Average salaries are attractive for data science professionals in Canada and other parts of the world. The PGDM stands for the PG Diploma in Data Science, which is usually a course spanning 10-24 months on average. It ensures specialized and advanced training for aspirants in data analytics and data science, making them employable as scientists, analysts, and engineers in various industry sectors. The course fees at the BSc level usually hover around INR 28-34 lakh per year, while they are mostly around INR 11-48 lakh at the master’s level. PhD programs typically cost around INR 8-10 lakh per year. These are all approximate or indicative figures and may differ. For working in Canada after obtaining a PG diploma, you will require a work permit. The work experience gained during your stint will help you have eligibility for PR (permanent residency). You can apply for a work permit with a year of full-time skilled work experience or anything equivalent.
What is the scope of doing a PG diploma in data science?
What is PGDM in data science?
What are data science course fees in Canada?
Can you get PR in Canada after your PG diploma?
The work experience will eventually help you get eligibility for PR (permanent residence). You will have to get the PGWP (post-graduation work permit) in the interim.
Doing a PG diploma in data science means opening up the gateway toward employment opportunities as data engineers, analysts, scientists, and business analysts. Average salaries are attractive for data science professionals in Canada and other parts of the world.
The PGDM stands for the PG Diploma in Data Science, which is usually a course spanning 10-24 months on average. It ensures specialized and advanced training for aspirants in data analytics and data science, making them employable as scientists, analysts, and engineers in various industry sectors.
The course fees at the BSc level usually hover around INR 28-34 lakh per year, while they are mostly around INR 11-48 lakh at the master’s level. PhD programs typically cost around INR 8-10 lakh per year. These are all approximate or indicative figures and may differ.
For working in Canada after obtaining a PG diploma, you will require a work permit. The work experience gained during your stint will help you have eligibility for PR (permanent residency). You can apply for a work permit with a year of full-time skilled work experience or anything equivalent.
✓End to end Visa/Application support