Study in UK
About United Kingdom
Register to get personalized guidance from study abroad experts
- Free profile evaluation
- University Shortlisting
- Application & VISA assistance
Why Study in UK
With many world-recognized universities and colleges, the UK offers a wholesome academic experience to students. Educational institutions in the UK are known for creating a challenging yet creative environment for students to thrive.
There are various reasons for students to pick the UK as their education destination. Some of them are:
- Academic Excellence - Four leading UK universities have been rated in the top 10 list, as per QS World University Rankings, 2021.
- Quality Education - The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) is a national body established to ensure the highest teaching standards in institutions across the UK.
- Flexibility - Students get the freedom to customize their degree courses and pick a combination of subjects they want to study.
- Graduate Visa - The UK government allows students to apply for a Graduate Visa. It can help a student stay in the country for two years after the course completion and search for work opportunities.
- Diverse Atmosphere- People from all corners of the world come to study in the UK. As a result, you get to network with people from multiple cultures.
Admission Requirements to Study in UK for Indian Students
Admission requirements for UK universities vary with the level of education and the program students choose. However, Indian students will be required to prove their English proficiency by submitting scores of globally accepted English language proficiency tests like
Ensure that the minimum score matches your selected institution's guidelines. Students must also have a stellar academic record in the past with at least 65% in the high school certificate for humanities and 70% or above for science and commerce.
Students must ensure that all essential documents are available at hand. Some of the standard paperwork needed is
- Relevant academic transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation and Statement of Purpose
- Bank balance proof
- English proficiency test score
- Updated resume
- Portfolio if applicable
Top Universities in UK
Right Institutions to Study in UK
UK universities have constantly maintained their position in various top 10 global ranking indexes. If you are looking to apply to the leading institutions, here are the options you should consider.
1. University of Oxford
The University of Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world. The history of the university goes back to the 11th Century. The university is situated in Oxford and comprises 44 colleges, halls, and the largest library system in the UK. Ranked number 2 in the QS World Rankings, Oxford University is one of the oldest academic institutions. Around 22,000 students study here, out of which 40% are international.
2. University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is was founded in 1209 and is the fourth-oldest university in the world. The university is made up of 31 constituent colleges. Ranked at number 3, this university runs on a collegiate system. With an acceptance rate of 21%, it can be tough to secure admission here.
3. Imperial College London
Ranked at 7th index, Imperial College London is an education hub for various fields like science, business, medicine, and engineering. Imperial College London is an international university with 59% of its student body in 2019-20 being non-UK citizens and more than 140 countries are currently represented on campus.
4. UCL (University College London)
University College London (UCL) is a public research university situated in London. UCL stands at 8th position in the QS world ranking index and has been home to 30 Nobel laureates in the past. It is one of the top research institutions with over 18,000 international students.
5. University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is a public university in Edinburgh, Scotland. The university is ranked at 16th position, the University of Edinburgh provides options to choose all kinds of campus taught and part-time programs. Here, over 44,000 students from over 156 countries are fulfilling their dreams.
6. The University of Manchester
The University of Manchester is a public research university situated in Manchester, England. The university is ranked 27th, as per QS Rankings 2022 and the university offers multiple programs in humanities, science, business, and engineering domains. It is also a member of the Russell Group.
Top Universities in UK
7. King's College London (KCL)
King’s College London (KCL) is a public university in England. The university has an outstanding reputation for world-class teaching and cutting-edge research. 35th in the list of QS Ranking Index, KCL is known for its world-class research. Here, students can enroll in various courses in fields like social sciences, international affairs, humanities, law, and sciences.
8. London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is a public university in London. The university is ranked at 49th position and has multiple research programs in different disciplines like social sciences, social policy, law, and management. Here, over 8,274 students from over 140 countries are enrolled.
9. University of Bristol
University of Bristol is a public university in Bristol, England. For its excellent learning environment and sustainability commitment, the University of Bristol is ranked 62nd position, as per QS World University Rankings. This institution is also a member of the Russell Group.
10. The University of Warwick
University of Warwick is a public research university on the outskirts of Coventry between the West Midlands and Warwickshire, England. The university was founded in 1965. At 61st position in QS Rankings, this institution has over 26,500 students from 150 countries. Here, students can choose from over 269 UG and 345 PG programs.
Ranking & Acceptance Rate of UK Universities
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of studying in the UK?
Some of the benefits of studying in the UK are:
1. The universities are internationally recognized for providing quality education.
2. The research infrastructure is robust.
3. Many scholarships and financial support are available.
4. You get a permit to work while studying.
5. The country has a rich and unique cultural heritage.
All information provided on this page is for general use and upGrad Abroad is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Any action taken upon the information found on this website is strictly at your own risk.