Ireland, one of the best destinations in providing world-class education to students, is home to top universities across the globe. Known as the hub of education – the universities of Ireland have set a benchmark in academic excellence and quality education. These institutions have an incredible history in building scholars of various fields. In the academic arena, today, the universities of Ireland are tagged as some of the best colleges and universities in the world.
Recognized as one of the best education systems in Europe, Ireland promises to deliver what the students expect and aspire from the country they are seeking higher education from. With a disciplined order and method, the Irish educational institutes have proved their excellence worldwide. Studying here is often considered a prestigious privilege because it is one of the best locations for high quality scientific research and technological studies as well as advanced research and works in other domains. This also helps in bringing lots of easy career opportunities for the students who pursue their education from these distinguished institutes.
Read More: MIM v/s MBA – Discover Key Aspects
Why do students prefer studying in Ireland?
Ireland has been called as the land of saints and scholars, and it’s universally recognized because of its esteemed universities and famous colleges – naturally, international students find this country to be a beckoning prospect. The educational system of Ireland is talked about and accepted globally. Various courses in computer sciences, Master in Science (MS), business management, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology from Ireland are ranked amongst the top 10 in the world. In fact, the MS degrees from Ireland ensure higher chances of employment in any country of the world. There are other major benefits of studying in Ireland which makes students opt for this country for their educational pursuits.
- The students don’t require a GRE score — Many students prefer studying in Ireland because it doesn’t require them to provide the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score. Just the regular results of the commonly trusted and widely accepted tests like IELTS, TOFEL and PTE are accepted along with a good academic track record.
- The students are not discriminated against on the grounds of education gap — Education gap may be a reality for many – even for promising students. Often, a sabbatical becomes inevitable and unavoidable. However, that should not mar your prospects when it comes to higher education. Ireland’s education system does not hinder the admission procedure of such students. If they have relevant and practical reasons for the gap and the previous academic records are commendable, they are granted admission to the universities and colleges easily.
- Cost of study in Ireland for Indian students is less — As compared to the other nations of the world, the cost of tuition fees in Ireland for Indian students is comparatively low. (Around 8-14 lakhs a year)
- There are innumerable scholarships available — Another great benefit of studying in Ireland is that they provide some very generous scholarships to the deserving students (This includes the scholarships for Indian students as well). The government provides scholarships to 60 students per year — an expense of around ten thousand Euros per year. If the Indian students get these scholarships, it reduces their cost factor considerably.
- The 1-year master program — The biggest reason why Ireland witnessed a large number of business-management and master-degree students is the one-year course span for the same. This not only provides the student with a degree in a noticeably short time span, but also reduces the cost of education that otherwise goes into it.
- High quality education — The quality of education in Ireland is highly esteemed and is universally acknowledged and valued. The universities here are counted amongst the top 3% of best educational institutes globally.
- Easy Visa approval — Applying for an Ireland student visa is simple. The process of visa application should be started immediately after receiving the acceptance from the institution or university. Students should apply for the Ireland student visa at least 3 months in advance of the traveling date to Ireland. They should always ensure to make certain of the necessary documents mentioned in the checklist twice as it will make the whole process quick and seamless.
- Part time job opportunities — There are also some part time job opportunities available in Ireland for students studying here. As per the recent statistics, there are around 4, 00,000 part time employees working in Ireland for around 20 hours a week. This leaves a great room for the students to work simultaneously while studying. This not only helps them with work experience but also aids in their living expenses while in the foreign soil.
- Living in one of the most exceptional countries — It is proven that students get motivated largely by ambiance, environment, and milieu. And if they are travelling to Ireland for studies, they are not only getting the best universities and extreme discipline, but even the beauty of this country adds in to motivate them further. Not to forget the technological development makes it even more convenient to stay and study here. Further, the progressive lifestyle is another important benefit that students enjoy while they stay in Ireland to accomplish their education.
- Accepted worldwide — The students with a degree from any university or college in Ireland are accepted worldwide gladly. These are considered as one of the best certificate courses in the entire world and that is why they tend to get jobs and certain privileges globally.
Read More: Study Abroad at affordable price
Cost of studying in Ireland
The total expense on the tuition fees of the students totally depends on the type of qualification and the institution they select. An approximation of the cost of studying in Ireland can be made at around €10,000 and €25,000 for a year but could be a little higher for post-graduate students (depending on the program the student opts for). The fees for the courses in humanities, education, and arts are much less as compared to the subjects like medicine, engineering, and business management.
Tuition fees in Ireland
We reiterate, the cost of education in Ireland is dependent on the learning program they choose. The approximate amounts for some of the most essential programs are listed below:
- Undergraduate program — €9,850 to €25,500 or a year
- Postgraduate master’s degree —€9,500 to €34,500 for a year
- Doctoral degree — €9,500 to €34,500 for a year
If the students feel that these expenses are high, they can even consider opting for various scholarship programs offered by the universities for international students. This reduces their upfront financial burden manifold. If we plan the cost of study in Ireland for Indian students, we can approximate it as:
- Bachelor’s degree in a public university of Ireland — 4,76,000 to 9,53,000 INR annually
- The Masters and MS degree cost in public universities of Ireland — 4,88,000 — 12,00,000 INR annually
- Charges in private universities — 7, 15,000 –27, 00,000 INR annually.
Keeping these ballpark figures in mind to avail the educational programs and courses, the students can either opt for the private universities or the public ones.
There are basically three levels of education in Ireland – Primary, Secondary, and Higher or Tertiary Education. The most important aspect of each of these education systems is to retain the skill level and evaluate and unmask the hidden talent of every child. And this completely perfect educational system isn’t just beneficial to the citizens of Ireland, but for the ones seeking opportunities from across the globe. That is the reason there are major subscription plans in the Ireland universities fees for the international students. The most prominent private universities in Ireland are:
- Carlow —3000 EUR annually
- Cork — 3000 EUR annually
- Dundalk — 9950 EUR annually
- Dun Loghaire— 13,500 EUR annually
- Galway and Mayo — 6,678 EUR annually
- Marino institute of education, Dublin —16,480 EUR annually
- Letterkenny — 23,040 EUR annually
- Mary Immaculate College, Limerick — 10,692 EUR annually
Read More: Get preparing for IELTS from home
Ireland has various top-ranked public universities that are endowed with a fantastic global reputation. The best ranked universities in Ireland are the ideal places for the Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. education for students from across the world. These universities are famous for their impeccable education programs, which deliver excellent education to both international and local students. And since the annual fees of these courses are within means, the students feel privileged to join such prestigious institutes in Ireland. Some of the notable public universities in Ireland are:
- University College Cork — 6500 EUR annually
- St. Patrick’s College — 4500 EUR annually
- University of Limerick — 7000 EUR annually
- Cork institute of technology — 3500 EUR annually
- Technological university Dublin — 3000 EUR annually
- Waterford institute of technology — 3000 EUR annually
- Institute of technology Sligo — 3000 EUR annually
- Institute of technology Carlow — 11,250 EUR annually
- Institute of technology Tralee — 9,950 EUR annually
- Dublin business school — 12,000 EUR annually
Course wise Cost of education in Ireland
The students, who get a chance to pursue their choice of educational field and courses in Ireland with the eminent universities and colleges, are endowed with excellent opportunities to hone their knowledge and prowess. Some of these courses are:
Medical — ‘Medicine’ is one of the highly pursued subjects amongst the international students studying in Ireland. Here, a 5-year medical program is available. The Medical degrees from Ireland are readily accepted and acknowledged worldwide like in the USA, Canada, Europe, India, and other Asian countries. The top universities providing best medical courses in Ireland are:
- Trinity college Dublin
- Royal college of surgeons in Ireland
- University college Dublin
- University college Cork
- National University of Ireland, Galway
The expense Indian students bear for the medical course in Ireland can be around 24-36 lakhs per annum. The total expense for the complete medical course can be around 1.3 to 1.5 crores.
Engineering —There are some of the best engineering colleges in Ireland which are known as the world’s topmost colleges for this genre. The students can find multiple types of engineering degrees offered by the finest engineering colleges in Ireland. That is how they get the privilege of multiple choices to select their preferred program out of the plethora of engineering degrees. The best universities for Engineering courses in Ireland are:
- University college Dublin
- University College Cork
- Trinity College Dublin
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Limerick Institute of Technology
- Cork Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Ireland, Maynooth
The annual fees of studying in the universities of Ireland for the Engineering students in terms of INR can be around 8 to 20 lakhs per year. The total cost for the entire course can be around 80 lakhs.
MBA (management) — Business management courses in Ireland are the most sought after. It is because there are numerous universities and colleges in Ireland that offer some of the best Business and Management educational courses. There are at least 35 institutions and universities in Ireland offering more than around 626 courses in the genre. Some of the best universities and colleges offering MBA courses in Ireland are:
- University college Dublin
- Trinity college, Dublin
- Griffith college, Ireland
- Dublin business school
- Dundalk institute of technology
- Athlone institute of technology
- IBAT college Dublin
- American college Dublin
The MBA courses in Ireland are one-year programs (as compared to other countries where the duration is around two years). Hence, the students prefer it more as it saves their time and money as well. The fees structure of full time MBA (Business Management) courses at prominent institutes like University College Dublin and at Trinity College Dublin is around 27,20,000 INR. And the fees for MBA in international business are around Rs.11,20,000 at Griffith college.
Average cost of living in Ireland
Information about the cost of living in Ireland is crucial before pursuing higher studies in the country as expanses in Ireland varies as per the region. The major cities like Dublin, Cork, and Galway could be pretty expensive compared to other places like Waterford, Limerick, and Mayo. Hence, the soon-to-be students should plan accordingly. Sometimes, the students are advised to even choose their preferred institution after factoring this element. People compare the cost of living in Ireland with that of living in one of the very expensive cities in the United States. And as the students calculate the living costs, they should most importantly consider the accommodation, food expenditure, transportation usage and money that will go in clothing, books, and other miscellaneous expenses as well.
- Accommodation expenditure — There are various institutions in Ireland offering on-campus residence facilities to international students. The students also have an option to select off-campus accommodation wherein they can share apartments with other students. The average expense of accommodation might be around €427 for a month if the student is not sharing the room with others. Also, this expense totally depends on the location they are choosing and time of the year. While, if the student chooses to stay in the campus, then the expense will be around €300-600 for a month. And it’s highly recommended for the students to share the accommodation as it reduces the cost which would then be around approximately €400 per month.
- Cost of food —Cost of food is one of the most crucial factors that needs to be considered while calculating the living expenses. The amount of money spent on food differs as per the preference of the students. They normally spend an average of EUR 100-250 each month on food. And if the students are eating lunch and dinner at the cafes and restaurants, then this can further add to the expenditure under this category.
- Transportation — Students wishing to study in Ireland should understand that the cost of transportation in Ireland is really very expensive. The students can make use of public transportation and local taxis to commute in and around the place. The charges for commuting in public transportation can be around 135 Euros monthly. But yes, if the students are using their special travel card, it can be reduced up to 40%. There are also certain universities providing their special transportation services for the students which actually reduce the conveyance budget manifold.
- Books and study materials — While calculating the budget to study in a place like Ireland, it’s important for the students to consider the charges for books and study materials as well. They should add an extra 80-100 Euros monthly for this purpose in their regular educational budget.
Read More: Cost of living in Germany
As per all the above calculations, below is the brief summation of approximate monthly expenses that can be incurred by a student in Ireland:
- Accommodation — 350-800 Euros
- Utilities — 20-40 Euros
- Travel —- 90-140 Euros
- Books and materials — 80-100 Euros
- Miscellaneous expenses — 100 Euros
- Cellular expenses — 30-40 Euros
- Food —100-250 Euros
Ireland is, undoubtedly, a land of excellent education and opportunities for students worldwide. From providing the most affordable educational plans to ensuring the convenience of part time jobs, from having world class universities imparting exceptional courses to ensuring a complete safe and secure environment for the students to live and study in, the country has it all covered for the international students visiting this country to complete their education. The international students get a warm welcome from the locals. To top it all, the country provides excellent employment opportunities to the international students. All these advantages are the reason why Ireland is becoming one of the most coveted destinations among students to pursue their education abroad.
Read More: Study in Germany without IELTS