An abbreviation for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, STEM courses and graduates, together, are the foundation for innovations. Given its huge scope, STEM courses are in high demand and are eyed by many aspirants.
STEM courses in USA are highly coveted, and there is intense competition to get into one of those. They are offered by top universities across the USA, with all of them leading to fulfilling careers.
Recommended Read: Study in USA
What are STEM courses in the USA?
These courses cover multiple degrees under Engineering, Technology, Science, and Mathematics. Ever since the development of STEM, several global institutions have started providing STEM courses in the USA for international students. These courses emphasize educational content that nurtures budding minds and enhances the overall ratio of women studying technology and research-oriented courses.
The sheer demand for STEM courses can be explained by the fact that professions linked to the same are amongst the most rewarding and financially fulfilling careers globally. The USA has always been a global leader in these fields, and these technical courses are being integrated into the curriculum by universities to maintain the country’s dominant position.
Recommended Read: MS in Data Analytics in USA
STEM Courses in USA- Advantages:
There are many benefits of pursuing STEM courses in USA. Some of them are listed below:
● The USA has its own Silicon Valley in California, the world’s biggest technology and IT hub. It is the biggest technological platform, foundation, and center of the entire country, offering access to large-scale infrastructure, advanced resources, and a skilled workforce. It is one of the biggest reasons to draw more international students towards STEM courses in the USA, especially due to its technological boom.
● A vibrant student lifestyle is also a huge draw for international students pursuing STEM courses at USA institutions. Monotony never creeps into the academic process since campuses offer a variety of extra-curricular pursuits, societies, clubs, and other activities. Students can also participate in community and charitable initiatives, sporting activities, and more.
● Diverse cultures come together under a single roof at most leading universities in the USA. The country is known for housing people from almost all parts of the world with diverse traditions, festivals, cuisines, and more! Indians also live, work and study in the USA in huge numbers, making it comfortable and smoother for Indian aspirants to pursue STEM courses here.
● Studying a STEM course in the USA opens many possibilities, chief amongst which are global insights and perspectives. Students get a lifetime chance to interact with people from other cultures, understand various global markets, solve problems, and ask questions with an open-minded approach.
Recommended Read: MS in Project Management in USA
List of STEM Courses in USA:
There are over 300 courses available in this category for students in the USA. However, selecting proper specialization is essential. Here is a STEM courses list in USA for aspirants:
● Aeronautical or Aerospace
● Animal Science
● Agricultural Engineering
● Architectural Engineering
● Behavioral Sciences
● Biomedical Technology
● Chemical Engineering
● Computer Programming
● Civil Engineering
● Environmental Studies
● Computer and Information Science
● Forensic Chemistry
● Food Science
● Forensic Science and Technology
● Human Biology
● Horticulture Science
● Mechanical Engineering
● Mining Technology
● Molecular Biology
● Nutritional Science
● Military Applied Science
● Petroleum Technology
● Nuclear Physics
● Plant Science
Leading Universities for STEM courses in USA:
There is a growing demand for STEM courses and related fields of work due to several reasons. The USA aims to develop a more technologically, scientifically, and economically advanced workforce in several of these related fields. Universities in America encourage more international students to apply for positions related to these core domains of Mathematics, Technology, Science, and Engineering. Several institutions offer STEM courses for aspirants in the country. You can take your pick from hundreds of options here.
Here is a look at some of the top names on the list:
● Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
● Harvard University
● Stanford University
● University of California, Berkeley
● Arizona State University
● University of Dayton
● Columbia University
● California Institute of Technology
● New York University
● University of South Florida
Recommended Read: Reasons to Study at Northern Arizona University (NAU)
One-year STEM courses in the USA:
Several leading universities offer one-year STEM courses in the country. These names include Harvard University, Stanford University, MIT, Caltech, and others. They offer one-year STEM specializations in diverse fields such as Astronomy, Architectural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Botany, Behavioral Sciences, Biomedical Technology, Biochemistry, Civil Engineering, and Chemistry, to name a few.
Read More: How to Study MS in USA
STEM courses in USA- Eligibility:
The eligibility criteria vary across institutions for STEM courses in USA. Several requirements have to be met in this regard. Here’s taking a closer look at the same:
● A three or four-year bachelor’s degree in a STEM field is necessary.
● Aspirants should have obtained F-1 USA student visa status.
● They should have eligibility for STEM OPT.
Important Resources to Read:
Here are the documents that are required for applying to STEM courses in the USA:
● Passport scanned copy.
● SOP (Statement of Purpose).
● Official transcripts and mark sheets of school and college.
● Two reference letters.
● Scores in English language proficiency tests.
● Resume or CV.
● LOR (Letter of Recommendation).
● Translation of degree certificate in case it is in any other language (not in English).
Also Read: Exams Required to Study in the USA
Pursuing STEM courses in the USA without GRE:
GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) is one of the key requirements in the USA for getting entry into STEM courses. While most universities require GRE test scores, many often admit applicants without the same. Here is a list that will come in useful for this category:
● MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
● California State University Sacramento
● University of Dayton
● University of Northern Virginia
● University of Pittsburg
● New Mexico State University
● Stevens Institute of Technology
STEM Courses for Commerce Students:
STEM courses are hugely popular among commerce students in the United States. They are great options for boosting career prospects and overall employability throughout the USA and many other global countries. Some of the top STEM courses for commerce students include management science, full-time MBA programs, business analytics, MS in global supply chain management, MS in marketing, MBA in operations and technology management, and MS in economics, to name a few.
What are STEM courses in the USA?
STEM equates to science, engineering, technology, and mathematics while indicating subjects coming under these fields of study or disciplines. Some of the courses that fall in this category, for instance, include the likes of biology, biochemistry, civil engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, chemistry, astronomy, and others.
What is the best STEM course?
It is hard to pinpoint the best STEM course accurately. However, as per reports, some of the top choices include computer engineering, petroleum engineering, nuclear engineering, aerospace engineering, mathematics and statistics, actuarial sciences, software development, chemical engineering, astronomy, computer science, biology, and more.
Where does the USA rank in STEM education?
Despite the USA possessing one of the best education systems worldwide, surveys have analyzed that students can still improve science and math scores compared to international students or those from other countries. As per a 2018 report, the USA ranked 24th and 38th in science and mathematics, respectively. Several countries have witnessed fluctuating fortunes with regard to STEM education rankings over the years. The USA ranked 8th and 11th in reading and science respectively while the mathematics score stood at 30th in the world as per the figures released by the National Center for Education Statistics. However, all said and done, the USA is still the top global study destination for STEM courses at all levels. It is still unparalleled in terms of overall academic excellence.
More Resources to Read: