Australia offers a spectrum of job opportunities for international students. The country has a rising demand for an adept workforce and thus it appeals and assimilates international students with lucrative post-study work visas. Australia post study work visa permits international students to live in Australia for a duration of up to 4 years and encourages them to work after the completion of their studies.
Read More About: Australian Visa Subclass 190
Types of post-study work visa options
Department of Home Affairs of the Australian Government takes care of immigration and residency in the country. It embraces students with various types of work visas to fulfill their dreams and help them build a rewarding career. Let’s take a look at various types of work visas in Australia.
- Temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) for graduate workstream: This visa is ideal for international students who have completed graduation with skills and qualifications from eminent Australian Institutions. The skills and qualifications are closely related to an occupation that is needed in the medium to long-term in the Australian labor market. This visa permits a stay of up to 18 months and during the period you can also bring your family. The students need to apply for this visa within 6 months of completion of their courses.
- Temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) for post-study workstream: This is the most appreciated post-study work visa among students who want to work in Australia after completing their studies. This visa is ideal for international students who have recently graduated from prominent Australian educational institutes with an eligible qualification (irrespective of their field of study). With this post-study work visa Australia duration is between 2 to 4 years. You can also bring your family members if you have this visa. The students need to apply for this visa within 6 months after the completion of their courses.
- Skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476): This visa is applicable for engineering graduates who have completed engineering qualifications from specified educational institutions in the last 2 years. You should have this visa to bring your family to Australia and the stay duration is up to 18 months.
In November 2019, the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs introduced an additional post-study work arrangement for international students. From 2021, international students who are studying at various locations of Australia except for Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane will get another one-or two-years extension on their current two years post-study workstream of the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485).
The prime aim of this additional extension is to encourage more international students to come and study in Australia, which would enhance diversity and prosperity in various parts of Australia.
Read More About: Australian Visa Subclass 189
Post-study work visa requirements
There are specific requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs, Government of Australia, that the students need to meet for each type of post-study work visa in Australia. Based on your duration of stay, Australia post-study work visa requirements may vary. Let’s take a look at the requirements for various post-study work visas.
Australia post-study work visa requirements are different for various types of visas
Skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476)
The engineering graduates are ideal for this visa. It permits aspirants to study and get employed in Australia for up to 18 months. The requirements are:
- The applicants should be below the age of 31.
- The applicant must have a degree in engineering from a specific education institute in the past 24 months.
- The applicant must not hold either a skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476) or a temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)
- The applicant must meet the character and health requirements as mentioned
- The applicant should be proficient in English for this type of post-study work visa in Australia. Or he/she should possess a valid passport from countries including the USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, and the Republic of Ireland.
Read More: How to settle in Australia from India?
Temporary graduate visa (graduate workstream)
By using this visa, all international students can stay and work for a period of up to 18 months in Australia. The applicants should follow the below-mentioned criteria to be eligible for this type of post-study work visa:
- The candidate should be below 50 years and a fresh graduate.
- The applicant’s skills and qualifications should be relevant to the demand in Australia and should thus find a mention in Australia’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
- The applicant should hold an Australian study visa and English should be the mode of study.
- To prove his/her English proficiency, the candidate should have a valid IELTS, TOEFL-iBT, PTE Academic, or Cambridge C1 advanced test score.
- The applicant should have been awarded at least one diploma or degree in a CRICOS registered course in the past 6 months.
- The candidate should successfully meet all medical and character must-haves.
- They should not be a holder of either subclass 476 visa or a subclass 485 visa.
- If in the past, the applicant’s visa has been canceled or denied, the application will be invalid.
Important Resources About Australia to Read:
|Study in Australia||Why Study in Australia?||IELTS Score for Australia|
|491 Visa Australia||MBA fees in Australia||Education System in Australia|
|Job Opportunities in Australia||Part time Jobs in Australia||Top Cities in Australia|
Temporary graduate visa (post-study workstream)
This visa is ideal for a recently graduated applicant from a reputed Australian institute. This visa not only allows the applicant to stay and work in Australia for 2-4 years but also permits them to bring their families here. Check the below-mentioned eligibility criteria for this type of visa.
- The applicant should be below 50 years
- The applicant should hold a graduate degree in a CRICOS registered course
- The applicant should hold a valid student visa. An applicant is also eligible if she/he had a student visa in the past 6 months
- The candidate should not hold either subclass 485 or subclass 476 visas
- The candidate should successfully meet all the Australian study criteria
- The candidate should have at least one of the below-mentioned degrees:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Honors with the bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree by subject/coursework
- Master’s degree (extended)
- Master of Research degree
- Doctoral degree
- Students who have a diploma or trade qualification are not eligible for this type of work visa
- To prove his/her English proficiency, the candidate should have a valid IELTS, TOEFL-iBT, PTE Academic, or Cambridge C1 advanced test score
- The applicant should successfully meet all medical and character requirement criteria.
How to apply for an Australian post-study work visa?
International students interested in applying for any type of post-study work visa in Australia can send an online application through their ImmiAccount or they can do it by using the paper form. The paper form application will be accepted if “No further stay” condition 8503 or 8534 is mentioned in the current visa application form of the student. By visiting the official website of the Government of Australia’s Department of Home Affairs, an aspirant can apply online.
For both cases of Temporary Graduate Visa (graduate workstream and post-study workstream), you should be in Australia but not in immigration clearance when you apply. Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs will decide on your visa application. You should apply for these two visas after completion of your courses, however, make sure the application is made before your 6 months from completion of course period expires.
For a Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa (subclass 476), you may be in or outside Australia while applying. But you should be outside Australia when the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs will decide on your visa application. Within 2 years of completing your course, you must apply for this visa.
- Step 1:Accumulate all imperative documents before initiating the application procedure.
- Step 2: Now, go to the official page of ImmiAccount
- Step 3: Click on “create ImmiAccount” (for new users) or if you have a registered account, then log in.
- Step 4:Now, check and fill the visa application form. Attach all necessary documents.
- Step 5:Provide the details of your family members if they will accompany you
- Step 6:Finally, make online payment of the application charges as mentioned by using your credit card, or BPay or PayPal
Documents required for post-study work visas in Australia
Here is the list of documents that you need for your post-study work visa application process.
- Identity documents
- Educational documents
- Documents for your Health insurance
- Character documents
- If your partner accompanies you, the documents of your partner
- Documents for any dependents below the age of 18
- Documents for any dependents above the age of 18
Cost for Australia post-study work visa?
Let’s take a look at the cost of various post-study work visas.
- Temporary graduate visa for graduate work stream:Visa cost AUD 1650 (Rs. 88,687.50) and processing time 90 days to 4 months.
- Temporary graduate visa for post-study work stream:Visa cost AUD 1650 (Rs. 88,687.50) and processing time 70-90 days.
- Skilled recognized graduate visa:Visa cost AUD 405 (Rs. 21,768) and processing time 8 to 11 months.
Read More Resources to Read About Australia:
Why choose Australia?
Being ranked third in the list of most popular overseas education destinations for international students, Australia welcomes international students with unfathomable opportunities. Top universities, incredible culture, vibrant cities, and numerous job opportunities are just some of the reasons why international students prefer Australia as their education destination.
Home for top quality universities
In Australia, international students will get a plethora of options when it comes to studying. Australia is home to 43 universities in total, with 40 Australian, two international, and one private university. Moreover, six Australian universities (The University of Melbourne, The University of Sydney, The University of Queensland, University of New South Wales, Australian National University, and Monash University) rank in the internationally renowned top 100 universities.
Offers quality and variety in education
Australian universities welcome students with a wide range of degrees and courses. As per an individual’s interest and future goal, a student can choose courses to build a rewarding career. Australia has an astounding higher education system with around 22,000 courses in 1,100 institutions. Vocational courses are also becoming popular among students in enhancing their skills and knowledge that are highly required by employers. Australian universities are thronged with the latest innovations, technological advances, and current trends. They ensure that their courses and programs meet the highest education standards.
Visa procedure is simple
You can easily obtain a student visa for Australia. The aspirants need to register with all their details and should provide all imperative information. They need to show the results of one of the English language proficiency tests like IELTS (The International English Language Testing System) or The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) and the university admission slip along with the money receipt. The candidate should score an average result in these exams.
Incredible job opportunities
Those who have shifted to Australia for education may get tempted to stay longer because Australia offers a plethora of job opportunities to aspirants. Students can easily get employed here after finishing their studies. Australia wholeheartedly welcomes doctors and engineers. Other booming sectors in Australia are aeronautics, data analysis, cyber security, digital marketing, software development, architecture, civil design, social work, education, customer engagement, and human resources.
Vibrant culture and land of beauty
Australia is home to many incredible places, including beaches, breath-taking rainforests, world heritage sites, and serene deserts. In your holidays, you can explore beautiful places like the Opera House in Sydney, Fraser Island, Bondi Beach, Uluru Rock, or the Great Barrier Reef. Australian universities are located in both rural and urban areas. You may discover many neighboring places while traveling.
Since English is the common language for communication, thus you may not face any difficulties in terms of communication during your stay in Australia.