Are you planning to apply for a student visa for Australia? There are several Australia student visa requirements for Indian students that you will have to keep in mind. A student visa can only be obtained based on revised authority guidelines with the SSVF (Simplified Student Visa Framework) being implemented from the 1st of July 2016. All students will thus have to apply for their Subclass 500 visas accordingly.
Read More: Student Visa- A Detailed Guide!
Student Visa for Australia- Processing Timelines
Obtaining a student visa for Australia from India may require some time by way of processing. As per reports, around 75% of visa applications are usually processed within 29 days while 90% of applications are processed within 42 days. 75% of applications are also processed in 43 days while 90% of applications are processed in 77 days.
Student Visa for Australia from India- Key Application Procedures
Wondering how to get a student visa for Australia? There are several crucial application-related aspects that you should keep in mind.
a. Validity- 10 months/10 months + 2 additional months or less.
b. Eligibility guidelines- Students in full-time courses should apply under Subclass 500 and distance learning/part-time courses will not qualify.
c. GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) – Getting a student visa for Australia will require students to prove that they are GTEs. You should prove that you wish to visit Australia only for education and will come back to your own country after the course or gaining some experience.
d. Visa applications are assessed based on criteria like your home country’s circumstances, economic scenario, potential opportunities in Australia, the value of chosen future course, immigration track record, and other relevant aspects.
e. Health Check-up & Insurance- You should provide proof of medical condition and good health. You may provide a certificate in this regard, courtesy of empaneled doctors only. Indian students are also required to submit chest x-rays that prove the absence of tuberculosis. You may apply for this check-up either before or post commencement of the visa application procedure. Yet, getting it earlier will necessitate quick processing. Along with health check-ups, you will also need OSHC or health insurance. You should have this for the entire visa tenure. The average costs are AU$438 per person for 12 months.
f. Character Certificate- All students must furnish proof of their good character, and this will include no criminal cases in their names and proof of never being deported earlier from Australia.
Read to Know More for Study in Australia:
Student Visa for Australia- Documents Needed
The student visa fees for Australia are AUD 150 (under 18) and AUD 620 + AUD 460 (for those who are 18 or more). Students should keep the following documents ready:
· Passport- There should be a valid passport with the duration being 6 months beyond the course tenure.
· Payment receipt for the application fee.
· Non-immigrant application for the visa.
· COE (Confirmation of Enrollment Form) issued by the institution where you will be studying.
· Acceptance letter from the university including a proposed plan of study.
· OSHC (overseas health insurance receipt).
· Digital photographs.
· Diplomas, transcripts, certificates, and degrees.
· Scores in English language proficiency tests.
· SOP (Statement of Purpose).
· Proof of Funds.
Read More: How to study abroad?
Post-study Work Options for Students
Students can work part-time under Subclass 500 visas for up to 40 hours every fortnight. They can also work without any restrictions on the number of hours when there are breaks or holidays. However, they cannot start work until the course begins. Casework is sometimes a part of the course, and the limit will not apply in such cases. Students under the Postgraduate Research Sector may work unlimited hours at the beginning of their doctoral thesis or research assignment. Those completing study requirements in Australia may apply for their post-study work permits under the stream-Graduate. Students who are ELICOS enrolled, are not eligible for applying for the post-study work permit.
Read More: What is an ISIC card and what does it do?
Pathway Programs With Some Important Resources:
Studying in Australia- How and where to apply
You may apply online 124 days before your course begins. You may visit Australia around 90 days (maximum) prior to the commencement of the course. The application procedure is as follows:
1. Create your ImmiAccount and login to the same.
2. You should fill up the application form as per the subclass.
3. You will have to track your application after logging into the ImmiAccount. You can use this for attaching all documents, updating details of your passport, changing your address and email address, and checking your application status.
4. The TRN (Transaction Reference Number) is a unique number given to every application made online. This will be required for managing and tracking your application and identifying scenarios where you must communicate with your visa center. You should also use this for checking entitlements under your visa.
Cheapest Study Abroad Programs
Student Visa for the USA
Student Visa for the UK
Student Visa for Singapore
Student Visa for Germany
Top Courses in Demand Abroad
10 biggest advantages of studying abroad