Are you planning to apply for a student visa to Australia (Subclass 500)? There are several Australian student visa requirements for Indian students that should be kept in mind. A student visa can only be obtained based on revised authority guidelines with the SSVF (Simplified Student Visa Framework) being implemented from the 1st of July 2016. All students will thus have to apply for their Subclass 500 visas accordingly.
Read More: Student Visa
Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) – Processing Timelines
Australian Student Visa may require some time to process for Indian Students. As per reports, around 75% of visa applications are usually processed within 29 days, while 90% of applications are processed within 42 days. 75% of applications are also processed in 43 days, while 90% of applications are processed in 77 days.
Australian Student Visa from India – Key Application Procedures
Wondering how to get a student visa for Australia? There are several crucial application-related aspects that you should keep in mind.
10 months/10 months + 2 additional months or less.
b. Eligibility Guidelines-
Students in full-time courses should apply under Subclass 500 and distance learning/part-time courses will not qualify.
c. GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) –
Getting an Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) will require students to prove that they are GTEs. You should prove that you wish to visit Australia only for education and will come back to your own country after the course or gain some experience.
d. Other Criteria-
Visa applications are assessed based on criteria like your home country’s circumstances, economic scenario, potential opportunities in Australia, the value of your chosen future course, immigration track record, and other relevant aspects.
e. Health Check-up & Insurance-
You should provide proof of medical condition and good health. You may provide a certificate in this regard, courtesy of impaneled doctors only. Indian students are also required to submit chest x-rays that prove the absence of tuberculosis. You may apply for this check-up either before or after post commencement of the visa application procedure. Yet, getting it earlier will necessitate quick processing. Along with health check-ups, you will also need OSHC or health insurance. You should have this for the entire visa tenure. The average cost is AU$438 per person for 12 months.
f. Character Certificate-
All students must furnish proof of their good character, and this will include no criminal cases in their names and proof of never being deported earlier from Australia.
Resources for Australian Visa
- Sample SOP for Australian Student Visa
- Subclass 189 Visa
- Australian Visa Subclass 190
- Australia Post-Study Work Visa
Australia Student Visa Process
Below are the steps for applying for a study visa in Australia for Indian students:
Register and apply to an educational institution in Australia
- Receive an unconditional offer letter
- Accept the letter & pay the tuition costs in order to acquire OSHC
- Receive eCOE (electronic Confirmation of Enrolment) letter
All the required documents must be collected
- Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Other documents (consult the visa staff handling your application)
Fill out an application for a student visa in Australia
- Fill out the online visa application form (Subclass 500 mostly)
- Check that the amount on your credit card is in Australian dollars.
- Applications will not be considered for approval unless the mandatory Australia student visa application fee is paid.
After submitting an application for a student visa in Australia:
- Make an appointment for a medical examination.
- An approved Australian Immigration panel physician (hospital/clinic) must conduct the examination.
- Schedule a biometrics appointment, if required
- Submit any additional documents (as and when needed/asked) through your immigration login account
Visa application results
- If your student visa is approved, the immigration department will send it to you by email or postal address.
- Australian student visas (Subclass 500) are electronic so you will not get any visa grant stamps on your passport.
Australia Student Visa Fees
- A student visa in Australia costs AUD 620 for international students. However, there is an additional fee for applicant charges that need to be paid.
- If you are under the age of 18, your total Australia student visa fees will be AUD 620 + AUD 150.
- If you are above 18 years of age: AUD 620 + AUD 470 would be the total Australia student visa fees.
- The total Australian student visa fees would be AUD 620 + AUD 470 if you are over the age of 18.
- MasterCard, VISA, and American Express are credit cards that are accepted. You may be charged banking and currency conversion fees if you pay by credit card in Australian dollars. Furthermore, fluctuations in currency might affect the total fee.
Student Dependent Visa in Australia
Under the Dependent Visa program, international students and professionals can call their families to Australia. You are allowed to bring your family members to Australia if you are studying there. You can either include them in your original student visa application or apply for their visas once you have begun your studies in Australia and they can join you later. Dependent visas are available for spouses, partners, and unmarried children under the age of 18.
People who are including their dependent family members in their original student visa application should fill out form 157A with all the details. The student visa holder must have a visa that is valid for at least 12 months, as well as sufficient finances and insurance to cover expenditures during that time.
Dependent Family Members on Student Visa
On a student visa, you are allowed to bring the following close family members as dependents:
- Your spouse or partner who you have been living with for the past 12 months
- Your children under the age of 18 or who are still in education (studying A-levels)
Also, keep in mind that the dependent partner’s job rights will vary depending on the course you are taking:
The dependent partner may work up to 40 hours per week if you are enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program.
Your partner has complete and unrestricted work rights if you are pursuing a master’s degree program or a doctorate degree.
Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) – Documents Needed
The student visa fees for Australia are AUD 150 (under 18) and AUD 620 + AUD 460 (for those who are 18 or more). Students should keep the following documents ready:
- Passport- There should be a valid passport with duration being 6 months beyond the course tenure.
- Payment receipt for the application fee.
- Non-immigrant application for the visa.
- COE (Confirmation of Enrollment Form) is issued by the institution where you will be studying.
- Acceptance letter from the university including a proposed plan of study.
- OSHC (overseas health insurance receipt).
- Digital photographs.
- Diplomas, transcripts, certificates, and degrees.
- Scores in English language proficiency tests.
- SOP (Statement of Purpose).
- Proof of Funds.
Read More: How to study abroad?
Post-Study Work Options for Students
Students can work part-time under Subclass 500 visas for up to 40 hours every fortnight. They can also work without any restrictions on the number of hours when there are breaks or holidays. However, they cannot start work until the course begins. Casework is sometimes a part of the course, and the limit will not apply in such cases. Students in the Postgraduate Research Sector may work unlimited hours at the beginning of their doctoral thesis or research assignment. Those completing study requirements in Australia may apply for their post-study work permits under the stream-Graduate. Students who are ELICOS enrolled, are not eligible for applying for the post-study work permit.
Read More: What is an ISIC card and what does it do?
Pathway Programs With Some Important Resources:
Studying in Australia – How and Where to Apply
You may apply online 124 days before your course begins. You may visit Australia around 90 days (maximum) prior to the commencement of the course. The application procedure is as follows:
- Create your ImmiAccount and log in to the same.
- You should fill up the application form as per the subclass.
- You will have to track your application after logging into ImmiAccount. You can use this for attaching all documents, updating details of your passport, changing your address and email address, and checking your application status.
- The TRN (Transaction Reference Number) is a unique number given to every application made online. This will be required for managing and tracking your application and identifying scenarios where you must communicate with your visa center. You should also use this for checking entitlements under your visa.
Study abroad with upGrad Abroad:
upGrad Abroad has started uniquely designed programs that enable students to save money on tuition fees, and other expenses. Students enrolling in these programs will be studying a part of their program online and completing the course on campus.
Benefits of joining upGrad’s program:
- Quality education at lower prices
- Degree from international colleges/universities
- Helps save 1/5th of the degree cost
- End-to-end assistance for applications and visa
- Assistance with IELTS preparation
Frequently Asked Questions
Under the dependent visa program, international students and professionals can call their families to Australia. You can either include them in your original student visa application or apply for their visas once you have begun your studies in Australia and they can join you later. Dependent visas are available for spouses, partners, and unmarried children under the age of 18. If you aren’t from an English-speaking nation or have not studied for at least five years in one, you will need to show proof that you can communicate in the language at the required level. You will be required to submit the results of English language tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. The score required in these tests varies depending on the course you will be taking. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) is one of the most important requirements for your Australian student visa application. It demonstrates that your objective is merely to study in Australia and not to stay there permanently. No. You can’t do business on a student visa or be self-employed, though part-time work can be undertaken. Until further notice, these temporary measures remain in place.
Q.1 Can one bring dependents on a student visa?
Q.2 What are the English language requirements to study in Australia?
Q.3 What is the GTE statement?
Q.4 Can I do business on a student visa in Australia?
Under the dependent visa program, international students and professionals can call their families to Australia. You can either include them in your original student visa application or apply for their visas once you have begun your studies in Australia and they can join you later. Dependent visas are available for spouses, partners, and unmarried children under the age of 18.
If you aren’t from an English-speaking nation or have not studied for at least five years in one, you will need to show proof that you can communicate in the language at the required level. You will be required to submit the results of English language tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. The score required in these tests varies depending on the course you will be taking.
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) is one of the most important requirements for your Australian student visa application. It demonstrates that your objective is merely to study in Australia and not to stay there permanently.
No. You can’t do business on a student visa or be self-employed, though part-time work can be undertaken. Until further notice, these temporary measures remain in place.
- Cheapest Study Abroad Programs
- Top Courses in Demand Abroad
- 10 biggest advantages of studying abroad
✓End to end Visa/Application support