One of the leading universities in Australia, The University of Melbourne first laid its foundation in 1853.
Since then, it has steadily pushed forth to create a well-rounded culture of research and innovation to produce skilled and thoughtful graduates.
Today, the university is home to over 54,000 students, and 44% of those young, bright minds belong to 150 countries. No wonder the student council body, along with the whole university, displays an outstanding level of diversity!
The University of Melbourne is ranked at a gracious 33rd position in the QS World University Rankings 2023. On the other hand, THE Times Higher Education places the educational institute at 46th position in the World University Rankings 2022.
Its undeniably good reputation, excellence in research, and high graduate employability rate have made it one of the most desirable destinations for higher education!
Students aspiring to apply to the University of Melbourne can sigh in relief. Why? Well, that’s because the University of Melbourne acceptance rate is moderate and if the candidate matches with the university’s eligibility criteria then he/she becomes eligible to take admission to the university.
Sure, it’s still essential to produce a top-notch application and display an outstanding past academic record, but competing for a spot here isn’t a nightmare.
With the proper guidance and display of all your necessary achievements, you are sure to make the cut above the rest.
Admission eligibility criteria
International applicants planning to pursue undergraduate degree courses at the University of Melbourne need to achieve the following stipulated entry criteria:
- The students must provide the equivalent qualification of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- They must achieve a minimum of 70% or equivalent score in their post-secondary study
- They must fulfill any academic requirements stated by the university, including submitting portfolios, giving interviews, satisfying subject prerequisites, etc.
- Display proficiency in English ( at least 6.5 in IELTS with no bands less than 6.0 )
- Attain minimum required scores in the following international academic qualifications:
Minimum score required
GCE A levels
CDD, BCC, AAB, or ABB (depending on the course opted)
25-37 (depending on the course opted)
CBSE and ISC
65-91 (depending on the course opted)
Indian State Board Examinations
80-93 (depending on the course opted)
The University of Melbourne admissions requirements are vastly different for international students applying for postgraduate courses:
- Successfully received an undergraduate degree from a well-recognized university, either in and out of Australia
- Attain English language proficiency
A doctorate degree does not have extensive entry requirements, either. All they need:
- Possess a relevant Masters or Honours degree, depending on their chosen academic discipline
- Mention all of the previous work experiences and any other additional qualifications pertinent to the course applied for
- Meet the specific educational requirements as required by the particular course applied for
How to get admission in University of Melbourne?
Before applying to the university, it’s always best to arm oneself with the necessary information. Having all the documents ready at hand would allow for an easy and quick application process.
An Indian student is required to attach the following supporting documentation:
- Copies of academic transcripts (each semester’s mark sheet) of tertiary education, if the student has previously pursued an education at another university
- Copies of academic transcripts of final secondary education for undergraduate application
- Previous academic results along with information about all the incomplete courses attempted and exchange subjects, etc
- Personal statement
- Aptitude test results
- English language proficiency proof
- Any other document as required by a particular course
All the supporting documentation must be in the English language. The university will verify all the materials provided through either the document issuing institution or an approved agent.
A student may be required to produce their original documents during the application process to ensure no discrepancy or fraudulency.
Besides the minimum score required in international qualifications like IB Diploma or GCE A levels, a student must provide proof of English language proficiency.
So, if they haven’t pursued tertiary or secondary study in the English language, the following English language tests are a must for your undergraduate application!
- TOEFL (internet-based): minimum score of 79 with 13 for listening and reading, 18 for speaking, and 21 for writing
- TOEFL (paper-based): Minimum required score of 577 with a 4.5 score on the Written English test
- Pearson Test of English: minimum score of 58 with 50 in PTE communicative skills
- IELTS: minimum total score of 6.5, and each band with at least a 6.0 score
- C2 Proficiency: Minimum score of 180 in all skills
- Cambridge English: Minimum overall score of 176 with 169 in each skill
Note that these scores apply to all undergraduate degrees, except Bachelor of Oral Health.
Additionally, applicants must undertake these exams within 24 months from when they pursue education at the University of Melbourne.
Curious to know what are some of the most popular and highly ranked subjects offered by the University of Melbourne? Here’s a list of such subjects, along with their worldwide ranking, as provided by QS Top Universities.
- Sports-related subjects- 10th rank
- Education and training- 12th rank
- Law and legal studies- 12th rank
- Social policy and administration- 12th rank
- Development studies- 13th rank
- Social sciences and management- 15th rank
- Arts and humanities- 16th rank
- Geography- 16th rank
- Life sciences and medicine- 17th rank
- Psychology- 17th rank
How university evaluates applicants
Fulfilling the University of Melbourne admission criteria will not ensure a sure-shot entry into the university. The admissions selection committee has devised a strategy to evaluate applicants and their applications.
This process is relatively simple.
First, the university assesses if the student’s scores in international academic qualifications are at par with the stipulated requirement. Then, your application is verified to check if the applicant achieved the minimum entry requirements.
The committee notes other touchstones like portfolio assessment, fulfillment of prerequisite subjects, life experiences, past work history, scores in non-secondary subjects, and results in supplementary tests.
Based upon this evaluation, a student is ranked as per the merit attained by them. Ones who achieve higher ranks are offered a seat in their chosen coursework.
So, if the application is attractive and meets all the parameters, the student stands a better chance of getting admitted to the university!
Tips for applying to university
Applying to a university abroad is always an arduous process. There is so much to consider and plan out. Add to it, the competition is always at an all-time high, making every applicant fight tooth and nail to gain their place in the university.
Sending in an application that fulfills the bare minimum requirements will not suffice. Students must aim to stand out amongst the crowd, build an undeniably strong application and create their indelible mark on the mind of the selecting committee.
So, students keen on studying at the prestigious University of Melbourne must keep the following tips in their mind:
- The admission selection board does not know any applicant personally. The only way to get the golden ticket is through the application, which represents the individual. Ensure to provide all the accurate and necessary information to the greatest extent possible.
- If there are any study or work breaks in the resume, ensure that a proper justification is offered for the same. Be as honest as possible.
- A fancy GPA will indicate an enhanced level of proficiency which will automatically boost the application. So, good scores equal a higher ranking!
- Try to write a compelling personal statement. Focus on providing a reason for choosing a particular course, highlighting relevant skills and achievements, and demonstrating your curiosity and motivation.
- An excellent application and a bad interview do not go hand-in-hand. Most students get rejected because they cannot nail the interview due to a lack of planning, research, and requisite knowledge. Covering all the basics about the chosen course will take the applicant a long way!
- It’s not advisable to wait until the deadline to work on the application – it’s simply unnecessary stress.
- The relevance of social media in everyone’s life is irrefutable. So, it’s not surprising that the selection committee may sometimes resort to checking an applicant’s social media presence. Keep all personal social media accounts private, and choose to use an appropriate email address.
- Always keep a backup in case the application does not work out, or the university offers a different course than expected. The world’s your oyster!
International students planning to enroll in undergraduate study must note all the important dates and deadlines.
The application deadline for Semester 1, 2023 (Feb/March intake) is October 31st, 22.
For semester 2, 2023 (July intake), the application window closes on May 31st, 2023.
✓End to end Visa/Application support