Pursuing an MS in computer science in Canada is a good option for those interested in making a global career in the field. In Canada, MS in computer science (CS) is a 1.5-2 year degree for a full-time course. The approximate costs of pursuing MS programs are between $50,000-$62,000 (Rs 46,00,00 approx). More than 40 universities have MS in CS courses, and admissions to these educational institutions require excellent GPAs, SOPs, LORs, and GRE scores.
MS in Computer Science in Canada- Eligibility Criteria
Here are the eligibilities for MS in computer science in Canada:
- A 16-year educational system for applicants is necessary. The desired break-up is 10+2+4. Furnishing proof is compulsory.
- A degree, which is equivalent to a Bachelor’s in Computer Science in Canada, is necessary.
- A GPA of 3.25 or higher on a scale of GPA 4.0 and a CGPA of 7-8 on a 10-scale is necessary. The percentile equivalent will be 80-85%.
- Candidates should furnish GRE scores, and they should not be older than two years.
- Eligibility for admissions is dependent upon the programming aptitude of the candidate.
Top Universities in Canada for MS in Computer Science
Here is the list of leading universities in Canada to pursue an MS in computer science.
Requirments to study MS in Computer Science in Canadian Universities
Here is a list of the documents required for international students.
- College and high-school transcripts
- Degrees and mark sheets with conferral date
- SOP (Statement of Purpose) with a two-page personal essay talking about career objectives, research interests, and qualifications of applicants
- Two to three LORs (letters of recommendation) are crucial. Out of this tally, two academic recommendations will confirm the abilities of applicants to do research.
- Standardized GRE test scores of at least 260 out of 340 are vital.
- Scores in English Language Proficiency tests (valid for two years) are also crucial. The minimum scores are 575 (PBT) and 86 (iBT) for TOEFL, along with IELTS 6.5-7.0. PTE scores of 61-66 are necessary, along with 85% or higher MATLAB scores.
Some universities also take CPE/CAE or CAEL/CanTest with other tests.
Admission decisions get published within 40 days of submitting applications at universities in Canada for MS in CS.
Cost of MS in Computer Science in Canada
Annual study costs for MS in Computer Science may hover around $47,779 (INR 35,58,240). There are some pre-arrival costs as well. These include $205 (INR 18,617.60) as GRE test charges, $114 (INR 8,489.63) as university application fees, and $235 (INR17,500.54) as fees for visa applications. Added costs include $607 (INR 45,218.10) in health insurance, $10,000 (INR 7,44,987) in financial statements, and costs like $200-800 (INR 59,598.96 approx) for accommodation after arrival, $45 (INR 3,352.30) in meals each day, and $1,400 (INR 1,04,293.70) in airfare.
Eventual living costs include $7,728 (INR 5,75,619.31) for accommodation (off-campus), $980 (INR 72,995.20) in public transportation, and $3,700 (INR 2,75,560.83) in food and beverages. Miscellaneous expenses up to $4,000 (INR 2,97,903.60) may be necessary too. These are approximate estimates, and the final figure may be slightly lower or higher, depending upon your institution and location.
Scholarships for MS in Computer Science in Canada
There are many scholarship options available for international students willing to pursue MS in CS in the country. Scholarship amounts may vary from $500-23,000 (INR 17,12,999.75 approx) on average. Here’s taking a closer look at the best options:
Admission Deadlines for Masters in Computer Science in Canada
If you are wondering about how to apply for MS in Canada? Then you should also make a note of the admission deadlines. There are three sessions in winter, summer, and fall for applicants. A full-time MS course may take between 16-24 months, inclusive of coursework equivalent to four graduate programs. You can apply through the official websites of chosen universities. You can also talk with our Study Abroad consultants for any further help.
The official deadline for applying is 1st December for the University of Toronto, while 1st February is the deadline for the University of Waterloo and Simon Fraser University. 10th January is the deadline for the University of British Columbia, while 15th January is the deadline for the University of Alberta and Queen’s University. 1st October is the deadline for Concordia University, while 31st January or 30th April is the deadline at the University of Ottawa. The deadlines are 1st March and 1st April at the McGill and McMaster universities, respectively.
Reasons for studying Masters in Computer Science in Canada
Here are some reasons for studying MS in Computer Science in Canada:
- The Canadian Government has immigration-friendly measures, and the tuition fees are also quite reasonable.
- Canada is one of the world’s safest countries, offering a cosmopolitan, welcoming, and multicultural study environment.
- MS in CS is a lucrative career option in Canada for the ample job opportunities and rising demand for skilled graduates in the field.
- There is great scope of research and innovation in various technological domains.
Job Prospects after Masters in Computer Science in Canada
After completing MS in Computer Science, international applicants usually apply for their work permits within 90 days. Salaries for trained and experienced graduates in Computer Science may start from $92,000 (INR 68,52,192.20) onwards. There is a huge demand for job roles like software developers, software engineers, Java developers, CAD designers, network administrators, senior web developers, and IT managers. Average salaries may hover between $25,000-41,000 (INR 30,53,694.35 approx).
There are leading companies in Canada like Sterling Turner, Amazon, Scotiabank, CGI, and others, that hire computer science degree holders from several universities. Starting salaries may be slightly lower in cities like Montreal, while Vancouver offers the highest salaries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Canada good for MS in computer science?
Canada is a good option for pursuing MS in computer science. It is home to several top-class universities offering advanced and high-quality education for international students. There is a huge demand for skilled graduates in the field throughout the country as well.
Is GRE required for MS in CS in Canada?
Universities in Canada need standardized GRE test scores for admitting applicants into MS in CS programs. Students should aim for competitive scores to secure admission into a reputed institution.
Is an MS in computer science in Canada difficult?
A Masters degree in Computer Science is slightly more difficult than many other courses. Of course, it is tougher as a study discipline, and it has nothing to do with the location.
Is it easy to get a job in Canada after a masters in computer science?
Canada has a flourishing economy and a prosperous labour economy. There are numerous professional opportunities after completing masters in computer science. Students can readily obtain professional opportunities in game development, data analysis, Cybersecurity, application analysis, forensic computer analysis, information systems management, database administration, and application development.
Which specialization is best in computer science for masters in Canada?
AI (Artificial Intelligence) is a highly coveted specialization in computer science today and has huge growth prospects for the future too. It helps computers perform duties like voice recognition, cognitive decision-making, recognizing patterns, and so on.