Studying in the US won’t be a cheap option for students – US universities charge some of the highest tuition fees across the globe, especially colleges with strong global reputation. The tuition fee at top US universities can range between $US 40,000 and $US 50,000/ year (excluding health insurance, accommodation, and other expenses).
An array of bursaries and scholarships for masters in the USA for Indian students are also offered by the American government, and a gamut of private and public establishments as well. When applying to any of these scholarships, you should ensure to check the criteria carefully, in tandem with the application closing date.
Getting a scholarship for MS in the USA is not that difficult, provided you do careful planning and research. Several institutions offer a chance to get a scholarship for MS in the USA for Indian students. You should check the eligibility criteria and apply accordingly.
Scholarship to Study in USA for Indian Students – Available Options
Here are some fully-funded scholarships for MS in the US for Indian students:
Stanford University Scholarships
Stanford University Scholarship is a fully funded scholarship for international students. This scholarship is offered for Masters. This scholarship is offering full traveling allowance, academic expenses, tuition fees, and living allowance.
Onsi Sawiris Scholarship
Onsi Sawiris Scholarship program is a fully-funded masters scholarship for international students. The scholarship covers living allowances as well as travel and health insurance.
Yale University Scholarship USA
Yale University Scholarship is a fully funded scholarship awarded to international students. This scholarship is offered to students pursuing masters. It can vary from a few hundred dollars to over $70,000 per year.
Fulbright Foreign Student Program
One of the most popular government-funded US scholarships for international students, Fulbright offers scholarships for graduate students to study in the US for one year or more. It is available for international students in all fields apart from medicine.
Apart from these, you can look for these scholarships as well to reduce their tuition fee burden.
- Aga Foundation Scholarship
There are limited openings for those wishing to pursue MS in the USA. They should be from developing countries, unable to cover the cost of their studies, and should be meritorious. 50% is a grant, and 50% is a loan. It has to be paid back with the annual service charge capped at 5%. The loan agreement has to be signed by a co-guarantor or parent. The repayment period is five years after the completion of the educational course. The amount covers tuition and living costs and is decided based upon individual requirements. Students should reside in a nation where the Aga Khan Education Services or AKES, AKF or Aga Khan Foundation, AKEB or Aga Khan Education Board are present. Students may obtain the form as of 1 January each year from Aga Khan Education Services/Boards or AKF offices in their countries of current residence. Applicants below 30 get more preference.
- Generation Google Scholarship
It is given by Google to eligible students pursuing computer science. Selected students will receive $10,000. Moreover, they should have high school degrees, be accepted as full-time learners in a master’s program, pursue computer science, computer engineering, or any related field, and have a bright academic track record.
- AAUW International Fellowship
This is given by the AAUW (American Association of University Women) to only women to promote education and equality for non-US citizens applying to study full-time. 3,600+ women from 150+ nations have already got this scholarship over the last few years. Students applying for master’s or their first professional degree are awarded $18,000. Whereas students applying for doctoral and postdoctoral are awarded $20,000 and $30,000, respectively. Women should have bachelor’s degrees, intend to go back to their home nations for professional careers. Moreover, they should prove English language proficiency and should be studying/researching for a year at least. Women should also have applied to accredited US institutions for being eligible to get this scholarship.
- Global Study Awards
This scholarship arrived in 2015 and is an initiative by the British Council. It offers scholarships of USD 11,900. If the tuition fees are lower, the remainder will be given for a maximum of 52 weeks’ living costs. Moreover, the student must possess a Test Report Form (TRF) and should have a valid International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or International Youth Travel Card (IYTC). To get this scholarship, you need to enroll in a postgraduate program in the USA and show the acceptance letter.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation
The foundation was established in 2002 for providing financial support to academically bright students. Interest-free loans are given up to USD 25,000. Indian nationals below 30 and graduates from accredited universities in India are eligible to apply.
- TATA Scholarship at Cornell University
When scouring for a scholarship for MS in the USA, you can leverage the scholarship franchise launched by the Tata Group — the Tata Education and Development Trust. If you aspire to receive a graduate degree from Cornell University, then you can leverage this scholarship. It awards roughly $25 million every year to support 20 students. Students must possess an acceptance letter for the university and they should be qualified for a need-based scholarship.
College-based MS Scholarships in USA
- Illinois State University
Students can secure the chance to realize their dream via this merit-based scholarship. This offers partial waivers of tuition costs for international students in postgraduate programs. The amount is $5,000 for every semester. The eligibility criteria include top-notch academic records.
- University of Oregon
The institution offers several scholarships given on the basis of the GPA of applicants and their scores in standardized examinations. The institution provides the Sushil Jajodia Indian Student Scholarship, where $3,000 or given every year.
- New York University Wagner Scholarship
This is a scholarship program that is based upon merit. Those interested in applying should submit their applications digitally. Selection is made based on whether the candidate meets the criteria and whether the application is a well-rounded one. Some scholarships offered in this category include the Dean’s Scholarship, where total tuition fee coverage is provided, irrespective of the subject and degree course. Public Service Scholarship offers students half/partial scholarship options based on the application submitted and overall merit. It applies to all study fields in the USA, including MS.
- International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
Students applying for a graduate program at East Tennessee State University can leverage the merit-based scholarship. They would be rewarded up to $5000 per academic year.
- Michigan State University
The university offers merit-based scholarships for international students. The student would be awarded $21,000, $25,000, or $18,000 per year for eight semesters. It is awarded based on the overall profile of the student. They would be considered for their application essay, English proficiency, academic performance, and geographic diversity.
Scholarship for MS in the USA- How to get it?
How to get a scholarship for MS in the USA for Indian students? Almost all major universities in the country require aspirants to demonstrate proof of funds before getting admission, and hence, there are only a few university-based scholarships for international students. Yet, several private and government scholarships may benefit international students.
Here are some things that you should keep in mind for getting your scholarship for studying MS in the USA:
- You should adhere to guidelines to secure a scholarship for MS in the USA eligibility guidelines defined by private and public universities, including those related to factors like work experience, nationality, age, and more. Make sure that these are all fulfilled.
- University departments sometimes have sufficient funds to offer grants to deserving students with pressing financial requirements.
- Those wondering how to do MS in the USA with a scholarship should also know that academic track records are paramount. Grades in undergraduate courses will matter immensely, along with extra-curricular activities which demonstrate overall potential and leadership. Hence, building up a solid profile should be your focus.
- Getting a scholarship to study in the USA for Indian students means working hard to get good grades and preparing for standardized tests, doing a lot of homework on the right scholarships and eligibility criteria, and writing successful essays when required for applications.
- Students are considered for scholarships at their educational institutions while applying. It is, however, subject to criteria like academic score threshold or qualifying examination.
- Ensure that you give all details accurately in your application form since incomplete forms will be rejected outright.
- You should strengthen your academic profile, which encapsulates leadership qualities, publications, extracurricular activities, internships, recognition, etc.
- Students should submit an impecable scholarship cover letter or essay.
Tips for getting USA Scholarships
- MS-based scholarships are available in limited numbers, and you should meticulously submit your application.
- Some colleges offer scholarships based on how well-rounded the application and candidate profile are.
- Students should keep applying for multiple scholarship options to scale up their scholarship chances.
- Ensure you write an impeccable essay when asked by the university.
- List all references for enhancing your overall application.
- Make sure the information provided is correct while avoiding spelling/grammatical errors.
Scholarships are sometimes revoked due to presenting false details in your application. Not maintaining necessary grades consistently, any drops in performance, changing the college or major, and using the funds for other purposes are reasons for applications being rejected after initial approval.
✓End to end Visa/Application support