Getting a scholarship for MS in the USA is not that difficult, provided you do careful planning and research. Several institutions offer a chance to get a scholarship for MS in the USA for Indian students. You should check the eligibility criteria and apply accordingly.
If you are planning for a study abroad scholarship in the USA, a simple guide will help you.
Scholarship for MS in the USA- How to get it?
How to get a scholarship for MS in the USA for Indian students? Almost all major universities in the country require aspirants to demonstrate proof of funds before getting admissions, and hence, there are only a few university-based scholarships for international students. Yet, several private and government scholarships may benefit international students.
Here are some things that you should keep in mind for getting your scholarship for studying MS in the USA:
● Most private and government scholarships will come with stringent eligibility guidelines, including those revolving around factors like work experience, nationality, age, and more. Make sure that these are all fulfilled.
● Wondering how to get a scholarship for MS in the USA and not meeting the eligibility for a government or private program? You can contact your mentor and department for assistance requiring further avenues of funding/financial support for international students. University departments sometimes have sufficient funds to offer grants to deserving students with pressing financial requirements.
● Those wondering how to do MS in the USA with a scholarship should also know that academic track records are paramount. Grades in undergraduate courses will matter immensely, along with extra-curricular activities which demonstrate overall potential and leadership. Hence, building up a solid profile should be your focus.
● Getting a scholarship to study in the USA for Indian students means working hard to get good grades and preparing for standardized tests, doing a lot of homework on the right scholarships and eligibility criteria, and writing successful essays wherever required for applications.
● Students are considered automatically for scholarships at their educational institutions while applying. It is, however, subject to criteria like academic score threshold or qualifying examination.
● Ensure that you give all details accurately in your application form since incomplete forms will be rejected outright.
Scholarship to study in the USA for Indian students- Available options
Here are some scholarships that Indian students can consider:
● Aga Foundation Scholarship
There are limited openings for those wishing to pursue MS in the USA. They should be from developing countries, unable to cover the cost of their studies, and should be meritorious. 50% is a grant, and 50% is a loan. It has to be paid back with the annual service charge capped at 5%. The loan agreement has to be signed by a co-guarantor or parent. The repayment period is five years after the completion of the educational course. The amount covers tuition and living costs and is decided based upon individual requirements. Students should reside in a nation where the Aga Khan Education Services or AKES, AKF or Aga Khan Foundation, AKEB or Aga Khan Education Board are present. Those below 30 get more preference.
● Generation Google
It is given by Google to the eligible students pursuing computer science. The scholarship is given for pursuing higher education in either Canada or the USA. CAD 5,000 (INR 2.93 lakhs) or USD10,000 (INR 7.5 lakhs) is sanctioned for eligible students. Students should have high school degrees, be accepted as full-time learners in a master’s program, be pursuing computer science, computer engineering or any related field, and have a bright academic track record.
● AAUW International Fellowship
This is given by the AAUW (American Association of University Women) to only women to promote education and equality for non-US citizens applying to study full-time. 3,600+ women from 150+ nations have already got this scholarship over the last few years. The scholarship amount is $18,000 or INR 13.50 lakhs to cover living costs, tuition, and childcare costs. Up to five fellowships for master’s degrees are renewed from the second year onwards. Women should have bachelor’s degrees, intend to go back to their home nations for professional careers, should prove English language proficiency and should be studying/researching for a year at least. Women should also have applied to accredited US institutions for being eligible to get this scholarship.
● Global Study Awards
This scholarship arrived in 2015 and is an initiative by the British Council. It offers scholarships of £10,000 or INR 10 lakhs for tuition costs. If the tuition fees are lower, the remainder will be given for a maximum of 52 weeks’ living costs. Those who have performed well in IELTS and are more than 18 years of age are eligible. To get this scholarship, one should enrol in a postgraduate program in the USA and show the acceptance letter.
● Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation
The foundation was established in 2002 for providing financial support to academically bright students. Interest-free loans are given up to INR 20 lakhs. Indian nationals below 30 and graduates from accredited universities in India are eligible to apply.
College-based MS scholarships in the USA
● Illinois State University
This offers partial waivers of tuition costs for international students in postgraduate programs. The amount is $5,000 or INR 3.75 lakhs (approx) for every semester. The eligibility criteria include top-notch academic records.
● University of Oregon
The institution offers several scholarships given on the basis of the GPA of applicants and their scores in standardized examinations. The institution provides the Sushil Jajodia scholarship for Indian students, where $3,000 or INR 2.25 lakhs (approx) is given every year. Three scholarships are given annually.
● New York University Wagner Scholarship
This is a scholarship program that is based upon merit. Those interested in applying should submit their applications digitally. Selection is made based on whether the candidate meets the criteria and whether the application is a well-rounded one. Some scholarships offered in this category include the Dean’s Scholarship, where total tuition fee coverage is provided, irrespective of the subject and degree course. Public Service Scholarship offers students half/partial scholarship options based on the application submitted and overall merit. It applies to all study fields in the USA, including MS.
Tips for getting USA scholarships
● MS-based scholarships are available in limited numbers, and students should be careful while submitting their applications.
● Some colleges offer scholarships based on how well-rounded the application and candidate profile are.
● Students should keep applying for multiple scholarship options to scale up their scholarship chances.
● Some scholarships need you to write a short essay.
● List all references for enhancing your overall application.
● Make sure the information provided is correct while avoiding spelling/grammatical errors.
Scholarships are sometimes revoked due to offering false details in your application. Not maintaining necessary grades consistently, any drops in performance, changing the college or major and using the funds for other purposes are reasons for applications being rejected after initial approval.
- Cost of studying engineering in USA for Indian students
- Study Options in the USA for Indian Students After 12th Commerce
- What is the acceptable study gap in the USA?
- Reasons to Study at Northern Arizona University (NAU)
- A guide on IELTS Score to study in the USA
- Here are 50 Interesting Facts about the USA
- A Guide to Settle in USA from India!
- Part-Time Job Options in the USA for International Students
- What to do if your F1 student visa to the USA gets rejected
Q1. How difficult is it to get a scholarship for an MS in the USA?
A. Getting a scholarship for an MS in the USA is difficult, with a lot of competition. However, it is not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. You should certainly check the eligibility criteria carefully while applying to multiple institutions. Make sure that you apply well before the deadline and submit complete applications with all necessary documents.
Q2. How much scholarship can I get for an MS in the US?
A. You can get full or partial scholarships for MS in the USA. You may get a full scholarship for tuition and living costs, which may be offered for a limited duration. You can also get partial tuition waivers or scholarships for a certain time, as mentioned. Full scholarships are comparatively rare in the USA.
Q3. Can I get a 100% scholarship for an MS in the US?
A. While there are institutions and organizations offering 100% or full scholarships, these are quite rare. The count of full scholarships is low in number. It is hard to find them, but you should keep trying. In most cases, you may get anywhere between 50-80% of the costs as your scholarship amount. It can be higher or lower, depending on how well you meet the eligibility criteria.
Q4. How much CGPA is required for scholarship in the USA?
A. Many organizations and institutions need students to score at least a 3.0 CGPA on a four-point scale. It is mostly the guiding criteria. Most top institutions and scholarship providers usually prefer a CGPA of 3-3.5. However, not all scholarships take CGPA into account. Sometimes you may have a low CGPA, but if you have good GRE or GMAT scores and work experience, it is sometimes manageable to tap into other available options.