The United States of America, at any point, is home to over one million foreign students. Aspirants from across the world choose to study in the US for various reasons like quality education, global research opportunities, renowned faculties, multicultural atmosphere, and numerous post-study opportunities among others.
A bachelor’s degree from the US is recognized worldwide. Therefore, most parents, especially from India, wish to send their children to the country to complete their UG degrees. But a major consideration in going ahead with the plan is knowing whether they can afford it or not. Tuition fees in most US universities range between approximately USD 8,000 (INR 6,02,172) to USD 55,000 (INR 41,39,660) a year (indicative). It must be noted that this alone is not the complete cost of a bachelor’s degree in the USA. Other expenses such as cost of living, charges for admission form, entrance exam fees, and other miscellaneous expenses also need to be considered when working out a complete list of expenditures for studying abroad.
Cost of living
The cost of living for an international student depends upon the location of the college and accommodation. Several unavoidable expenses when living in a different country include charges for accommodation, food, transport, utility bills, and others. Accommodation is the costliest and students end up spending the most on it.
It is important to have some money aside for grocery shopping, utilities, emergency, and social activities. As we consider the various expenses and living costs, the average cost of a bachelor’s degree in the US (minus tuition fees) ranges between INR 7,50,000 to INR 18,80,000 per academic year. The cost may vary depending on the university and the city it is based in.
Some of the necessary living expenses are:
● Average electricity bill per month: $115 (INR 8,662)
● Clothing and footwear: $500 (INR 37,663)
● Stationery and textbooks: $500-$1000 (INR 37,663- 75,326)
● Transport: $500 – $1200 (INR 37,663- 90,408)
● Food: $2500 (INR 1,88,313)
● Rent: $104 – $208 (INR 7,816 – 15,631)
● Miscellaneous: $2000 (INR 1,50,695)
Tuition fee for bachelor’s degree in the USA
There are two types of universities in the USA, namely Public/State and Private universities. The tuition fee at public universities is lesser in comparison to the fee at a private university.
One can also apply for scholarships and chances are that either a part of the tuition fee or the complete tuition fee may be waived off under it.
The average tuition fee in US universities is USD 35,000 (INR 26,30,299).
Below given are the estimated tuition costs of studying bachelor’s degrees in the USA for the academic year 2021-22 for various popular universities:
● Arizona State University: $31,200 (INR 23,47,972)
● Stanford University: $ 55,473 (INR 41,74,648)
● Harvard University: $ 51,143 (INR 38, 51,554)
● Massachusetts University of Technology: $55,510 (INR 41,77,433)
● University of Chicago: $ 59,256 (INR 44,62,560)
● Columbia University: $ 2,346 Tuition per point (INR 1,76, 641)
● Yale University: $59,950 (INR 45,15,284)
● Eastern Michigan University: $14,260 (INR 10,73,871)
● Wichita State University: $16,200 (INR 12,19,814)
● University of New Orleans: $13,678 (INR 10,29,366)
● California State University: $5,742 (INR 4,32,216)
● Cleveland State University: $16,904 (INR 12,72,441)
● University of Wyoming: $19,170 (INR 14,43,013)
● Indiana State University: $20,582 for 12-18 credit hours (INR 15,49,116)
● University of North Texas: $11,696 (INR 8,80,352)
● University of Wisconsin: $38,650 (INR 29,09,475)
● Kent State University: $20,799 (INR 16,65,697)
● Florida International University: $3,084 per semester (INR 2,32,218)
● University of New Mexico: $25,956 (INR 19,55,330)
Read More: Guide to settle in USA from India
English examination cost
TOEFL and IELTS are the two most common English language proficiency tests taken by non-native English speakers to be accepted into a US university. The cost of taking TOEFL in India is INR 14,313 (USD 190) and the cost of taking IELTS is INR 14,700.
A valid test score helps in securing admission, visa, and immigration services. You will also have to take the SAT or ACT examination to get admitted for a bachelor’s degree in the US.
The SAT is mandatory for getting scholarships. The test charges for SAT are INR 7,700 (USD 104) and the cost of taking the ACT is INR 6,403 (USD 85 for full ACT with writing).
University application cost
The average application cost ranges from INR 3,000 to INR 4,478 per application.
Visa application cost
A valid student visa (F1, M1, J1) is an official prerequisite to study in USA. The student visa cost is INR 12,160 (USD 160) for international students. However, the cost is subject to variation and changes.
Read More: Guide to post study work permit in the USA
The one-way cost of airfare ranges between INR 40,000 to 70,000, depending on your destination, time, airfare class, city, and airline. One can get the lowest fares by booking a few months before the date of the journey.
The cost of a bachelor’s degree depends on the type of program and university or school you are opting for. You can also get in touch with upGrad Abroad to explore several cost-saving options.