The F1 visa is issued by the US Embassies and Consulates to students for studying in educational institutions in the US. There are quite a few documents necessary for an easy and streamlined visa process. The following article includes an F1 visa documents checklist that can make your study abroad journey easier.
You would require this student visa to enter the USA and it will be valid for the entire duration of the course. If you want to extend your stay, you have to reach out to a legitimate agency for extending your visa.
The visa process can take a while. Therefore, you should initiate the application process with sufficient time in hand. The right time to apply for an F1 visa is immediately after receiving your acceptance letter or admit card from the university along with the I-20 form (as proof of enrollment).
Upon receiving the acceptance letter from your university, you have to register yourself with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). You will also be required to pay a one-time application fee. The university may ask you to provide proof of funds and even deposit the tuition fees to get the I-20 form. After receiving the I-20 form, you have to pay the SEVIS (The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee.
I-20 form is one of the most important documents required for getting your F1 visa. It supports your claim that you have the money to live in the country during your course period. You can also use this form to schedule an appointment for an interview with the US Embassy or Consulate.
List of all the required documents
As far as the F1 visa documents checklist is concerned, you might be asked for the documents mentioned below. These should be kept handy so that you can produce them when asked.
- Passport – It should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the intended stay duration in the US.
- MRV Fee receipt – Payment confirmation page printout (if paid online)
- Form DS 160 (Non-immigrant Visa Application) – Online application confirmation page printout
- SEVIS fee payment receipt – Payment confirmation page printout
- Photo – Physical copies are only required if the upload is unsuccessful while filling the online DS 160 form. It must match the required format mentioned in the DS 160 Form
- I-20 Form – Received from your university or institution
- Visa Interview appointment letter
You might also have to present the following additional documents. It is recommended to carry them along.
- Academic transcript including marksheets
- Diploma/Degree certificates
- GMAT/GRE/SAT scores
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE scores
- Loan approval letter
- Financial capacity proof
- Appointment/Relieving letter/salary slip of any professional experience or internships
- Intent to depart from the US upon program completion
The students should also be prepared to pay the visa issuance fee once their visa application has been approved and the visa is granted.
Once you are done with the checklist, you can proceed with the preparation of answers to common questions asked in the interview. Make sure you arrive some time before the interview and are carrying all original documents mentioned in the F1 visa interview documents checklist. And yes, non-English documents should be translated to English beforehand.
Taking care of these documents through the checklist will help you organize and plan better. Remember, planning is the key to successfully getting your student visa and opening the gates to your study abroad dream!