The University of Cambridge is one of the preferred universities for undergraduate, graduate, and PhD programs in the United Kingdom.
The University of Cambridge attracts many Indian students every academic year. Its academic excellence and research scope make it an expensive financial commitment for Indian students. However, some institutions grant various financing aids and scholarships to reduce the financial burden.
The scholarships offer financial grants on tuition fees, allowances, and a yearly stipend. There are scholarships available for Indian students for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. University of Cambridge Scholarships for Indian students are merit and need-based. Indian students with outstanding academic records and economically challenged backgrounds are eligible for the scholarship offered by the University of Cambridge.
If you are planning to opt for any degree or program at the University of Cambridge, here are all the scholarship programs that are available for Indian students:
- Scholarship for MS in UK
- The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarship
- Sussex India Scholarship
- Oxford University’s Rhodes Scholarship
- Cambridge University Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
- Hornby Scholarships
- John Kinghorn Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
Some Popular University of Cambridge Scholarships
The University of Cambridge offers fully funded and partially funded scholarships to high school graduates, post-graduates, and post-doctoral students for programs. The majority of the scholarship programs are specific only for Indian students. The scholarship available to Indian students for different programs is dependent only on excellent academic records and financial needs. If the students fall under these two criteria, they can apply for the following scholarship programs meant for Indian students. Below is the detailed information:
1. Cambridge Trust Scholarship
Cambridge Trust Scholarship is available to international students taking admission to Cambridge University. Students need to apply for the scholarship through the university portal only.
- Students after completion of high school degrees can opt for undergraduate courses using this scholarship. However, students from the United Kingdom are not eligible to apply for undergraduate studies.
- Students enrolling in master’s programs like an MPhil and LLM can apply for the scholarship.
- The scholarship is available to research postgraduate courses like PhD.
- After completing a full-time master’s degree, students can opt for a PhD course with this scholarship.
The trust offers a complete fee waiver program for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. However, the trust does not provide funding assistance for MF and management programs. The scholarship funding is based only on the remission of tuition fees and not any allowance or stipend offered to students.
- Students applying for this scholarship need to be academically sound. The academic records should be excellent.
- The economically challenged students are preferred for the scholarships as the scholarship is based on the needs of financially weak students.
The application process stands different for undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Applicants need to apply through the university website and have an admission offer from Cambridge University to be eligible for applying to the Cambridge Trust Scholarship program.
The admission to the course and scholarship program application is made independently.
Applicants need to apply online within the deadlines. The deadlines and important dates are mentioned on the official site of the university. There are two deadlines of application, 2 December 2021 and 6 January 2022. The trust will inform all eligible applicants of the scholarship through email.
2. Oxford and Cambridge Society of India
Oxford and Cambridge Society of India is a scholarship to study at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship is offered to Indian meritorious students from varied disciplines. It is provided to undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral programs. The scholarship came into being in 1960. It selects one scholar every academic year. It is a one-time scholarship program that cannot be renewed. The scholarship offers partial funding or fee remission on tuition fees.
- Candidates should hold permanent citizenship in India.
- Candidates with undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral degrees can apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants should hold a residence in India.
- The maximum age criteria to be eligible for the scholarship is 30 years.
- Applicants applying for the undergraduate courses need to have completed high school with 70% marks.
- Applicants applying for post-graduate degrees should have a relevant bachelor’s degree from a recognized study board.
- Applicants applying for the scholarship should be financially stable to manage the study and living costs during the course.
- Applicants only with confirmed admission to a program at the University of Cambridge are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Benefits of the Scholarship
- The scholarship offers applicants INR 2,00,000, given to students taking admission to the University of Cambridge. The scholarship amount of INR 1,00,000 is granted to students when they take an entry to Emmanuel College under the University of Cambridge Trust.
- Mentoring by an official from the Cambridge Trust throughout the program.
- Students also receive complimentary association membership under the Oxford and Cambridge Society of India for a lifetime.
- A letter of support is offered to the students for assistance throughout the course.
The selection criteria of the scholarship are solely based on academic excellence. Only students with outstanding academic records and soft skills are eligible. Indian scholars with excellent expertise in academic and leadership qualities are eligible to apply.
Applicants need to download the scholarship application form from the website of Oxford and Cambridge Society of India. After filling up the application form, they need to attach all the relevant documents and send the scanned copy of the application form and documents by email to the chairman of the scholarship committee, The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India, at the email ID – email@example.com.
The application deadline and important dates will be available on the official website of the OCSI Scholarship by the end of March. Students need to check the website for the upcoming dates to apply.
3. SGPC Cambridge Scholarships
SGPC Cambridge Scholarships is a scholarship program available to international students applying for post-graduate degrees. It is offered only to the Sikh community students. The scholarship is given to Sikh community students with confirmed admission to postgraduate courses at Cambridge University.
- Applicants need to belong to the Sikh community.
- Applicants applying for the scholarship should take admission to postgraduate courses like Master’s, MPhil, and PhD programs.
- Students should have a full-time bachelor’s degree or master’s degree from a recognized board of formal education.
- Scholarship Amount: Pound 25,000 (INR 25,32763) per annum.
- Annual stipend to cover the cost of living.
Applicants need to belong to the Sikh community; they are only eligible to apply. Good academic records and economically challenged students are given preference at the time of selection.
For the admission process and application form, visit the official site of the University of Cambridge, UK.
Applicants need to check the official website of Cambridge to know the application deadlines and important dates.
4. Commonwealth Scholarship
Commonwealth Scholarship Program is an international scholarship offered to students from developing commonwealth countries. Every academic year, almost 800 students are given a chance to study in the UK with this scholarship program. It is applicable for post-graduate and PhD programs.
Eligibility Criteria of the Scholarship
- Applicants taking admission to postgraduate degrees like Master’s, PhD, and MPhil courses can apply.
- Good academic records.
- Applicants need to belong to a commonwealth country like India, Malaysia, Belgium, and Bangladesh.
- Students applying to MPhil and PhD courses need a valid full-time master’s degree from a formal board of study.
- Applicants taking admission to a Master’s degree need to have a full-time bachelor’s degree from a recognized board of study.
The selection process is competitive because there is no country-wise quota. The scholarship application will be checked by the subject matter expert and the selection committee. Applicants with excellent academic records and global contributions are always given priority.
The academic merit, record, and research proposal potential and impact of the research on the home country in development are considered for the selection.
Benefits of Scholarship
- Fully-funded scholarship on tuition fees based on academic records.
- Airfares are provided to and fro the UK. There is a provision of economy class airfares under which the arrival and return tickets are covered.
- The allowance is given to managing the cost of living.
- For single parents, the scholarship offers a child allowance of GBP 465 (INR 47,109) every month for the first child, and for the second and third child below 16 years, GBP 114 (INR 11,549) is covered under the scholarship.
- Allowance for winter clothes to students during the winter season.
The students need to visit the MHRD website to apply for the cut-off before visiting the ECAS portal. Students need to apply for the commonwealth scholarship program on both portals before the cut-off dates.
Students need to create their profiles on the ECAS portal. Fill in all the information, upload documents and submit the online application.
Applications are open for Commonwealth PhD and Master’s Scholarships for 2022-23. One is advised to visit the official website at regular intervals for the application deadline.
List of Essential Documents for Scholarship
1. Duly Filled Out the Scholarship Application Form
Applicants need to fill up the online scholarship application form accurately. They should not leave any section of the application blank.
2. Copy of Passport
The passport copy should be valid for a minimum of six months after the departure. The first or main page of the passport with the recent photograph and information is sufficient.
3. Copies of Transcripts/Diplomas
All the academic transcripts related to the past years of education need to be submitted. Students can also submit certificates or diplomas done in any area of study. All the transcripts should be originally scanned copies.
4. Statement of Purpose
This is a personal statement that applicants need to submit along with the application form. It can be written within 400 words citing the reasons behind selecting the particular degree or course. The citation should also cover why they think they are the right fit for the scholarship program. Students need to be very honest while writing this letter as all information will be verified. They should also mention their qualities, soft skills, and achievements.
5. Letter of Recommendation
Minimum two letters of recommendation are compulsory at the time of application for the scholarship program. Past lecturers, teachers, or employers should give letters of recommendation. The letter should contain your experience, skills, degree, and quality information.
6. CV or Resume
The resume should be updated with work experience, if any, and all the qualifications. It should also entail all your experiences, extracurricular activities, and achievements. The candidate should attach a recent passport-sized photograph to your updated resume.
7. Standardized Test Scores
SAT, ACT, GRE, GPA scorecards are necessary at application. The scores are considered when the scholarship panel decides to offer a scholarship or not. High score holders are always given preferences.
8. Medical Report Health Evaluation Form
Medical reports signed by an authorized medical clinic hospital from your home country are essential.
The University of Cambridge is recognized in the United Kingdom and across the globe for students. The fully funded and partially funded scholarship programs make it easy for meritorious and economically challenged students to get a prestigious degree without a financial burden. To know more about a scholarship program, students can contact academic counselors of upGrad Abroad.
Universities for Masters in Physiotherapy in UK
Top Universities in UK for Masters in Construction Management
MS in UK for Indian Students
Why UK for Masters
Masters in International Business in UK
Master’s in Public Health in UK
✓End to end Visa/Application support