There are several requirements for studying in the UK that aspirants should carefully note down before applying. The entry requirements vary depending on the selected course, university/college, and a few other aspects. The most flexible aspect of studying in the UK is that even if aspirants are unable to fully meet the requirements for a particular course, they may choose another course at a different level and steadily work their way up. The United Kingdom offers diverse study choices for suiting students across all major levels.
Read More: How to settle in UK
Requirements for studying in the UK – English language skills
One of the most important requirements for studying in the UK is proof of English language proficiency. A solid understanding of English is a must for studying any course in the country which is taught in the language. You may consider options like EAP (English for Academic Purposes) or Pre-Sessional courses for preparation.
Another way is to take an English language test like the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) in your home country before arriving in the UK. The IELTS is the most common English language proficiency test of this kind globally. It tests four core skills of reading, listening, speaking, and writing. More than 1,000 UK institutions recognize the IELTS, and the test can be taken throughout 125 countries worldwide. You may also consider the PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic test. This is taken digitally at testing centers of Pearson worldwide. It is recognized by over 100 institutions in the United Kingdom (UK) and helps to accurately measure the listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills of non-native English speakers.
Requirements to study in the UK- Entry Criteria
The necessary entry qualifications depend upon the course that you have selected. You should have completed a minimum of 13 years of education in your home country or the United Kingdom (UK) while having taken the pre-university exams. These should be equivalent to the Scottish Highers, UK A-levels and national diplomas. You can still pursue your course in the UK even if you do not have these qualifications as of yet.
Read More: Cost of studying in UK
Key qualifications needed according to courses
1. Higher National Diploma (HND) – qualifications which are equivalent to one or two UK A-levels, a Higher National Certificate, BTEC National Diploma, two Scottish Highers, or international foundation year. The minimum required IELTS score is 5.5-6.0.
2. Foundation Degree – qualifications equivalent to one or two UK A-levels, an international foundation year, a National Diploma, or one or two Scottish Highers along with an IELTS score of 5.5-6.0.
3. Diploma of Higher Education – qualifications that are equivalent to one or two UK A levels, two or three Scottish Highers, international foundation year, or National Diploma along with IELTS score of 5.5-6.0.
4. Degree – qualifications should be equivalent to two or three UK A-levels, a Higher National Certificate or Diploma, three or four Scottish Highers, BTEC National Diploma, or international foundation year. The IELTS score required is 6.0-6.5.
For joining any postgraduate course in the United Kingdom, you will require an undergraduate degree. You should have a first-class or good 2:1 (or global equivalent) rating in a subject that is directly related to your chosen field of study. You should be able to speak English at a minimum of IELTS 6.5 level for most of the available courses. Here are the qualifications required.
1. Pre-Master’s Courses: Undergraduate Degree along with IELTS scores of 5.0-5.5.
2. PG Certificate/Diploma: Undergraduate Degree in addition to IELTS scores of 6.5-7.0 or a Pre-master’s Course.
3. Master’s Degree: First- or Second-class undergraduate degree and IELTS 7.0 or Pre-Master’s course.
4. MBA Degree: First class degree along with 2-3 years of business experience and IELTS scores of 6.5-7.0.
5. PhD Courses: Master’s degrees are required along with IELTS scores of 6.5-7.0.
Read More: Best job opportunities after masters in UK
Entry Criteria for Independent Schools in the UK
For applying to any independent school in the United Kingdom, you will require a good education standard in your home country. You should have cleared formal qualifications and you may have to appear for the entrance examination of the school in subjects like math and English. Some schools may require students to appear for these entrance examinations while a common entrance examination is often used by multiple schools for those students applying at the age of 13 and upwards.
Entry Criteria for Pre-university and Career-based Studying
The qualifications required will majorly depend upon the course that you wish to pursue. Some qualifications like BTEC National Diplomas and A-level Scottish Highers are already lower than University level and directly lead onto higher educational programs. Other options like HND and foundation degrees are university-level qualifications that will help you pursue degree courses in the 2nd or 3rd years of study.
Here is a list of some other entry qualifications:
1. BTEC National Diploma: Good high school education record, 4 GCSEs grades A-C and IELTS 4.5-5.0 scores.
2. AS and A levels: Good standard of high school education which is equivalent to 5 GCSEs grades A-C and IELTS 4.5-5.0.
3. Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers: Good high school educational equivalent of 6 Standard Grade qualifications/grades 1-3 and IELTS 4.5-5.0.
4. International Foundation Year: 12 years of formal school education or equivalent in the home country along with IELTS scores of 4.5-5.0.
5. Foundation Degree: Qualification equivalent to one or two UK-A levels, two or three Scottish Highers or BTEC National Diploma or international foundation along with IELTS 5.5-6.0 scores.
6. HND: Qualifications equivalent to one or two UK-A levels, two or three Scottish Highers or BTEC National Diploma or international foundation year. The minimum IELTS scores required are 5.5-6.0.
Along with regular courses, you can also pursue more convenient and flexible study abroad programs with upGrad Abroad. Along with cost savings on your course fees, you will get additional support with counseling, visa application, admission, English language testing modules, and more.