Imperial College London Admission 2023London, UK
The Imperial College London is a public research university in London, United Kingdom. Its main campus is in South Kensington, while other campuses are at White City and Silwood Park. It has a rich international community of students, accounting for 59% of students outside the UK. It became a part of the University of London in 1908 and became an independent university in 2007.
As per the Guardian University Guide 2019 and the 2019 Complete University Guide, the students of the Imperial top in terms of employment among all the universities in the United Kingdom; let's learn about the acceptance rate and other criteria of the Imperial College for better understanding.
The ranking of any university is crucial for the reputation of the University and for the students to choose the best. It overviews the quality of courses, teaching faculty, fees, infrastructure, curriculum, and environment. It is essential to know where the University stands across the globe and in the country of its establishment to decide before applying for admission.
Different ranking institutions take into account different factors before ranking the universities. The multiple factors are academic reputation, student-faculty ratio, international faculty and student ratio, citations, industry income, etc.
The Imperial College ranks 10th in the world ranking and 3rd in Europe in the Times Higher Education World University Ranking. It is just behind Cambridge and Oxford. In the 2023 QS World University Ranking, it ranks 6th in the world and 3rd in Europe. Imperial College London ranks 13th among Best Global Universities.
Acceptance Rate (General)
The acceptance rate refers to the number of applications accepted concerning the number of applications submitted. It is essential to know the acceptance rate of any university before applying. Some universities have a meager acceptance rate which can be detrimental to students. The idea behind a low acceptance rate is to filter out below-standard applications.
Imperial College London acceptance rate is low, which makes the admission process highly competitive. The general acceptance rate of the University is around 14 % to 15% which varies for the undergraduate and postgraduate courses, respectively.
Undergraduate Acceptance Rate
Because of the low acceptance rate at Imperial College London, securing a place in the undergraduate course takes a lot of work. The acceptance rate for the undergraduate course is around 36%, which is a comparatively low percentage. The lowest acceptance rate is 5.2% for MEng Computing, and BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering has the highest acceptance rate of 22%.
Postgraduate Acceptance Range
The University's acceptance rate for postgraduate courses has soared in the past sessions. The acceptance rate for 2020-2021 was 7.9%, and for 2019-2020 was 7.2%, respectively.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
How to get admission in Imperial College London, with a low acceptance rate in both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. There are minimum educational qualifications required depending upon the choice of course opted.
The University may also set requirements for admission to a particular program to expand the offer of admission to the best candidates. The selectors evaluate applicants' qualifications as well as the student's performance based on the following:
- English language proficiency and course suitability
- Relevant Work Experience
The categories for English proficiency attainment levels are Standard and High. A student must satisfy the English language requirement under the course(s) they have selected by:
- Obtaining a minimal score on the exams or credentials that the University accepts, like TOEFL, PTS, ESOL B2, and Duolingo English Test.
- demonstrating a lack of English language requirements
- achieving success in the pre-sessional English program
Documents are essential for admission to any university. Imperial College London admission requirements are complex. It requires a good number of documents before entry to be verified. The documents required include the following:
- Student Visa Application
- Application Form
- Fees Application (not for scholarship candidates)
- Bank statement
- Personal Statement
- TB Result Reports
- Letter of Recommendation
- ATAS Certificate
- English Proficiency Certificate
Tests required/Average Scores
The selection process aims to fit the right candidate in the right course. The test scores are divided into the standard and the higher. Those candidates who fall below the required score for entry level for their courses can apply for a six-week pre-sessional course.
The University accepts additional English Proficiency scores for test scores:
- PTE: 56 for the standard level, 62 for the higher level
- IELTS: 6.5 overall for the standard level and 7.0 overall for higher level
- Duolingo: 110 overall for the standard level and 120 overall for the higher level
- CAE: 169 overall for the standard level and 176 overall for the higher level
- I/GCSE: Grade C or 4 for standard and higher level
One of the most sought-after academic experiences may be had at Imperial College London, which has a community of over 19,000 alumni. Students worldwide seek to study at Imperial because of the University's top-notch faculty and alum network. However, specific programs are more sought-after and thus more competitive than others, such as:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Computer sciences and Information Systems
- Business Studies
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
How University Evaluates Applicants
Imperial College London's admission criteria are comprehensive. These are the following steps the University takes to evaluate the applicants:
- After accepting the applications, the admissions team checks to see if the candidates have taken the minimum number of required courses.
- Following the analysis, the knowledgeable instructors from the relevant departments take the application as a whole.
- Faculty members evaluate applications based on grades, references, personal statements, and entrance exam results in addition to grades.
- The shortlisted candidates get a call for an interview after a thorough examination.
- Analyzing the candidate's suitability for the course based on the interview will determine who will be accepted as a student.
Tips For Applying To University
With high competition and low acceptance rates for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs, It is wise to follow these tips while applying to the University.
- Timely submit the applications: Delay in applying will automatically reject it. It is best to submit the application and proofread them beforehand. It saves your time and prevents last-minute rush.
- Present authentic Scores: Forging scores or certificates may lead to rejecting an application from the University. Always present the original score before the University.
- Describe your abilities: Any ability or background that sets you apart piques the selection committee's curiosity.
- Learn the contents of the personal statement: Based on the inquiries from the personal statement, the faculty member evaluates the candidate's suitability.
- Be thorough but brief: Include all the details that could give the University an idea of your course of interest.
The application process for any course has a detailed timeline provided by Imperial College London. The majority of the most well-liked courses have a general application deadline of October 15, 2022, at 18.00 (UK time), for undergraduate courses for any 2023 entry. March 2023 is the final deadline to apply to Imperial College London.
As long as there are openings, postgraduate programs are also offered. However, the most popular postgraduate programs begin to close from January onward.
All information provided on this page is for general use and upGrad Abroad is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Any action taken upon the information found on this website is strictly at your own risk.