Aston Business School UK was founded in 1895 as the Birmingham Municipal Technical School. The Aston Business School owes its inception to the 1947 Technical School-driven Department of Industrial Administration and the IARU in 1961. The Aston MBA came into being in 1979 while the business school was set up in 1987 with the renaming of the management center. EQUIS accreditation was provided in 1999 while AACSB accreditation came in 2003. The Aston Business School Building was built in 2006 as well.
The Aston Business School ranking was in the top-25 for the UK as per the 2022 Guardian University Guide and it was also the University of the Year as per the Guardian in 2020. It was awarded as an outstanding entrepreneurial university at the 2020 Times Higher Education Awards. It is ranked number one for Value Added in the UK as per the Guardian University Guide, 2020. It is also in the top-100 globally as per the QS World Subject Rankings 2021, for business and management studies. It is also the Best University Careers/Employability Services in the UK as per the National Undergraduate Employability Awards, 2020.
The language of instruction at Aston Business School is English.
The Aston Business School is a part of the Aston University at Birmingham and shares the campus with its own dedicated building. It is known for its expertise in research and development, being a public research institution that offers top-notch research facilities and other infrastructure.
There are dedicated University research institutions including the Aston Institute of Photonic Technologies, Health and Neurodevelopment, Energy and Bioproducts Research Institute, and Forensic Linguistics to name a few.
There are two-semester: Fall Semester (October to Jan) and Spring Semester (Jan to June). The admission cycle is 15th January for UCAS undergraduate admissions with results being published on 10th August. The Aston Business School admission process involves the following steps:
1. You can apply via UCAS (institution code A80).
2. You may receive conditional/unconditional/contextualized admission offers.
3. You will then get your application decision and reply through UCAS Track.
4. You may have to go through an admission interview as well.
The Aston Business School admission requirements include the following:
1. Undergraduate students need 75-80% marks depending on the board (CBSE/ICSE/State Board) and IB/GCSE are also accepted.
2. The marks sequence for the subjects may vary as per the board while specific marks may be needed in mathematics and English as well.
3. Postgraduate applicants should have a bachelor’s degree with at least 50-85% depending on the course and Tier.
4. Scores in English language proficiency tests are needed (Overall 6.5 with 6 in each section of IELTS, a score of 90 with 20 in each section of TOEFL, PTE Academic, Duolingo English Test, and Kaplan International Tools for English or KITE).
The Aston Business School acceptance rate is 15%. There are the foundation, postgraduate and undergraduate courses on offer along with MBA programs and degree apprenticeships. Popular courses include accounting and finance, business analytics, and MBA specializations like international finance, advanced strategy, marketing management, and more.
Here is the application calendar for those entering in September 2022:
|Round||Application Timeline||Acceptance and Fee Payment Timelines|
|Starting Dates||Application Receipt|
|1||4 January 2022||28 February 2022||14 March 2022|
|2||1 March 2022||31 March 2022||30 April 2022|
|3||1 April 2022||30 April 2022||31 May 2022|
|4||1 May 2022||31 May 2022||30 June 2022|
|5||1 June 2022||30 June 2022||31 July 2022|
|6||1 July 2022||1 August 2022||24 August 2022|
There are international students from 120+ global nations at the institution. There are numerous clubs available covering everything from sports and computer science to oncology. There are several volunteering opportunities available for students at the institution along with a plethora of other activities and events on campus organized by the students’ union.
The degree apprenticeship program offers students a chance to work in a professional entity and gain experience while studying. This helps build connections with leading employers as well. Students will devote a specific portion every week towards their qualifications while working at the employer’s office and earning salaries at the same time. Apprenticeships are tailored by various professional entities and employers alike. The Hub is where students can get answers to career and other questions. Aston University offers an immersive experience for students, helping them gain experience while studying with apprenticeships, employability programs, and volunteering opportunities while studying along with internships and part-time jobs.
The Careers & Placement team has won recognition with the graduates being amongst the highest-paid in the UK within five years from their graduation. Students get placement support up to three years after graduating.
The team helps students with CV-writing, applications, cover letters, workshops, group sessions, personalized support, and connections with employers and industry professionals. There are dedicated guidance and advice available along with other resources.
The Aston Futures portal offers events, job applications, listings, and appointment booking facilities. Students can also practice their interviews here along with using online tools, attending events, and more.
Professional work placements are available for all students at the institution. The business school is also closely linked to leading employers and businesses, offering them services including knowledge exchange, research, consultancy, facilities, intellectual property investments, up-skilling, new ideas, and more. The institution also offers various programs for backing SEMs or business ideas of students along with ensuring successful employment for graduates at leading companies including KPMG, Morgan Stanley, Amcor, Standard Chartered Bank, and more.
The list of alumni includes the following names:
1. Andrew Stephens, Dandy Marketing Founder.
2. Connor West and Joe Housely, Narce Media Founders.
3. Kiki Osinbajo, Founder at Konyin Skincare and Glam’d Africa.
4. Khadijeh Rahmani, MD & Founder at AIO App Limited.
5. Liz Smith, LG Davis Managing and Financial Director cum Owner.
6. Ollie Leggett, IE Design Director.
7. Parveen Rai, CEO, Rai Property Investment.
8. Ravinol Chambers, director-producer-founder-presenter, Be Inspired Films.
9. Tajinder Kaur, Business Consultant, Capgemini.
10. Suraj Sudera, Co-Founder, Veluon Ltd.
1. Masters in Finance in the UK
3. Oxford University’s Rhodes Scholarship
4. Cambridge University Scholarships
Fees vary according to the courses. They are the following:
For instance, pursuing the Business and Management M. Sc course will cost approximately GBP 21,250 (INR 21.25 lakh). The fees are the same for the M. Sc in Entrepreneurship as well. The full time MBA cost is GBP 28,000 (INR 28 lakh). The B. Sc in Business and International Relations costs GBP 16,300 (INR 16.30 lakh) with an additional GBP 2,500 (INR 2.5 lakh) during the placement year.