Home to remarkable monuments, world class universities, top class business centers, and a plethora of opportunities, including superb infrastructure and top quality lifestyle, United Kingdom has always allured people from all over the world — whether it is Scotland, England, Wales, North Ireland, or London. However, migrating to this nation requires proper procedures and completion of formalities along with finding the right guidance on how to settle in UK for job and career.
Read More: Cost of Studying in UK
Important Requirements to move to UK from India
UK has always been a great temptation to the citizens of India since long. Many have already settled in the land and thousands are thinking to grab this golden opportunity. And since Indians are known for their superior level of skilled knowledge and educational excellence, the opportunities for them in the public and private sectors for work are immense. There are also unlimited chances for the entrepreneurs to start a business in this country and progress rapidly. Even the students from India are welcomed with open arms in the United Kingdom and provided with lots of scholarships as well. So, for any of these reasons, if a person wants to know about how to settle in the UK from India, then here is a detailed guideline.
The United Kingdom provides opportunities galore to eligible international migrants to visit and settle there. But the Indians aspiring permanent residence in the UK need to first apply as temporary residents and then be eligible to ask for the permanent residency of the UK after spending a considerable period of time in this nation. Some of the ways the Indian nationals can avail the visa for UK are:
1) Migrating with an advance job offer notice
2) Migrating on the basis of student’s visa
3) Migrating as an entrepreneur looking for business opportunities in the nation
3) Migrating as an investor interested in buying properties or business there
4) Migrating after getting married to a UK citizen.
For applying under the existing UK visa schemes, the eligibility of the aspirants is only determined as per their score on the UK Tier Points-based System. The Points-based system verifies the eligibility of the aspirant against different relevant factors to apply either for work, study, or business visas. The most common visa schemes used by Indians for migration to the UK for work, study, and business are:
1. Tier 1 Visa
This scheme is especially designed for the migrants who are considered as VIP or special aspirants. The entrepreneurs interested in investing in the UK, special talented applicants and promising individuals are granted a visa according to the Tier 1 scheme.
2. Tier 2 Visa
This scheme is for the skilled and qualified workers applying for a job in the UK. Mostly, it requires a recommendation letter from the company hiring this worker for a job. Even the workers being transferred from other companies having their branches in the UK are given visa according to this scheme. Further, the sports persons and religious visas are considered under this scheme.
3. Tier 3 Visa
Note: The UK Tier 3 category is currently suspended.
This Visa scheme was for the aspirants who were required to migrate to the UK for a labor-oriented job or even on a temporary replacement basis job.
4. Tier 4 Visa
This scheme is designed for the students aspiring to pursue education in the universities of the UK. But in order to avail this sanction, the aspirants should provide a proof of their placement in the educational institution.
5. Tier 5 Visa
This visa has 6 sub tiers under it, and it includes categories like sports, charity, religious purposes, etc. This is the most common scheme that allows more than 50,000 aspirants in the UK each year.
6. UK business Visa
This category specifically covers the business aspirants wanting to travel to the UK for a long-term purpose (and who are not covered under the Tier 1 category).
8. UK family Visa
This is a special category that allows migrants to visit the country as the family members of the UK based citizens.
Eligibility criteria to get a visa for UK
If the aspirant is interested in moving to the UK from India, then they should fulfill the below listed eligibility criteria to achieve it smoothly:
1) The candidate should be of 16 years of age or above for the student’s visa and above 18 for a work visa.
2) For approval of a work visa, the aspirant should score above 95 points under the tier point system.
3) For educational visas, students need to pass one of the English language proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
4) The aspirant should produce all the documents, legal papers, and even certificates of the work or purpose they are travelling for.
5) The aspirants even have to show a certain amount of funds in their bank account to get the visa approved.
6) A character and health certificate needs to be submitted as well.
Once the aspirant gets a visa approval and lands in the UK, the individual can enjoy their stay as per the duration of the visa, and later renew it when it expires. After some time, with the desired proofs submitted, the individual can easily get a permanent visa for the UK as well.
Start Your Study Abroad Journey Now.
Why should you settle in the UK?
The United Kingdom is one of the most livable countries and the attractive destinations in the world with incredible quality of life and beautiful as well as multicultural cities. Bustling cites with art and culture, welcoming people, best healthcare, top universities and scenic beauty are what make this country an ideal place to settle down for the foreigners from across the world. Even the Indians find these reasons quite enticing. Some of the very positive qualities of this nation are:
1) Hospitable people — The people from all over the United Kingdom including the English, Scottish, Welsh, and North Irish are very hospitable and polite. They tend to embrace people from all across the globe in their countries with a huge welcoming smile. So, the aspirants traveling all the way to the UK to settle permanently won’t have this issue of facing any kind of adversity from the citizens of the UK.
2) Unlimited jobs — The United Kingdom offers a plethora of options for jobs for the people aspiring to work here. London (being the most progressive destination) alone has ample opportunities for hundreds of migrants each year. An experienced worker would never find a lack of work or job in the UK.
3) Impressive education — There are some of the word-class schools, colleges, and universities in the UK known for imparting top quality education to the students. Not just the students visiting the UK to pursue higher education, but even the kids of the families settled here are exposed to great educational benefits.
4) Highly developed healthcare — Even the healthcare facilities of the United Kingdom are known for their excellence. There are some of the very famous medical centers inventing something beneficial for the living world each day. Even a common person can avail these healthcare services without spending much in this nation.
5) Cultural diversity — The United Kingdom is already a culturally blessed location with lots of historical remnants dating back to the Before Christ era. But slowly this nation has embraced and welcomed other cultures too and that is why it has a blend of each of them under its wings. There are around 300 languages spoken in London itself. Naturally, the cultural versatility of the entire UK is phenomenal as well.
6) Natural beauty — The location of this nation is such that it provides both the winters and summers in the most alluring way with jaw-dropping natural beauty to motivate growth and wellbeing. Along with the natural beauty even the weather is quite conducive.
Types of Immigrations
The applications interested in settling down in the UK are divided as per their purpose of their immigrations and are granted visas accordingly. Some of these types of immigrants and visas for them are:
1. Immigrants aspiring to meet family
Such immigrants should have family members in the UK having a permanent citizenship of the country. The immigrant should provide proof of that family member’s citizenship to get the visa approved.
2. Immigrants asking for a settlement visa
If the candidate is already working in the nation temporarily can apply for the permanent 5 years of visa.
3. Immigrants travelling for investments
Such immigrants can apply for the immigrant’s visa as they intend to invest in a property in the country.
4. Immigrants visiting to start a business
Such immigrants can get an entrepreneur visa to start a business in this nation.
5. Immigrants travelling for work
Such immigrants should apply for the work visa to settle in the UK. Again, proofs are required pertaining to the job application and appointment letter.
6. Student immigrants
Such immigrants get the student’s visa when they apply for the educational opportunities in any university or school of the UK – proof of induction is must.
Apart from all these, there are also migrants traveling for marriage purposes, for touring across the country, for events and occasions, and for a medical purpose. But most of these are short-term visits and the visas for these purposes are easily attained.
From the inquiries on immigrate to the UK from India to the overall procedure; there are many important questions that often baffle us. The United Kingdom is a country with a world full of opportunities for the immigrants visiting her. But completing all the proper steps to get the visa and permissions to settle in this country is not easy as well. There are multiple levels to cross while getting the visa approved and even securing a proper placement in those countries. Seeking help from upGrad can make the process easily attainable and seamless as right from aid for English language proficiency to visa application they assist in everything.
Read More: MIM vs. MBA – Key Aspects worth knowing
Settle in UK – FAQs:
How to settle in the UK with your family?
Settling in the UK with family requires the applicant to apply under the category of Family Visa and provide all the necessary details of each member of the family with the visa form. If the applicant has some family members already settled in the UK, their reference makes the procedure of getting the visa easier.
Which is the best place to settle in the UK?
Several destinations are considered as preferable to get settled in the UK. Out of these some are Reading, Southampton, Birmingham, Oxford, Wales, Cardiff, Edinburgh, and Manchester.
What is the best way to settle in the UK?
The best way to settle in the UK is through applying for the investor or entrepreneur visa. This comes under the special tier 1 visa category and gets the visa approval quickly. Even the renewal process of this visa is quicker than others.
How long will it take to get a UK visa?
Normally, an application for the UK Visa is answered within 3-5 working days or maximum in 15 working days. Special applications are considered as well, which are replied under 24 hours of time.
How to apply for the UK immigrant’s visa?
The applicant should provide the purpose of migrating to the UK, apply for the type of visa as per that purpose, fill the visa form along with providing the necessary details and documents, and then attend the interview for the visa.
Is IELTS mandatory to apply for the UK visa?
No, passing the IELTS exams is not mandatory to get a UK visa. But there are certain other types of test scores which can be provided as a proof of the English language proficiency of the candidate like Secure English Language Test (SELT), Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), etc.
Can one switch between a Tier 2 to Tier 5 Visa after arrival in the UK?
Yes, it is possible for the Tier 2 applicant to switch to a Tier 5 Visa after reaching the country.
What are the types of family Visa options in the UK?
When in the UK, an applicant can ask for a family visa if his/her spouse is a UK Citizen, or someone’s parent has a UK passport, or any person’s child holds a UK citizenship.
When should an applicant apply for a UK visa?
An individual should apply for the UK visa as early as possible because the entire verification and processing process requires at least 3 weeks. So, applying way before the intended date of travel is mandatory.