The United Kingdom (UK) is the second most popular destination to pursue higher education abroad. Universities in the UK provide top-class education to students.
With traditions of excellence dating back hundreds of years, high-class education is one of the fortes of the education system in the UK. Masters degree in the UK is a 1 to 2-years full-time degree (3 years part-time degree) that is research-based, course-based or a combination of both programs. Students planning to study abroad should evaluate different factors before choosing their education destination. Read on to know why to choose the UK for masters?
Reasons to do Masters in the UK
The UK is recognized worldwide for excellence in various fields. It has renowned educational institutes that provide several masters courses to the students.
There are many benefits of studying in the UK. Some of them are listed here:
- Popular Destination
The UK is one of the most popular destinations for international students. Students from various parts of the world go to the UK for higher education. Students from India, China, Hong Kong, Germany, France, and Italy form the majority of international students in the UK.
Although the USA is quite a popular study abroad destination among students, the visa process is simpler in the UK. Therefore, the UK attracts vast numbers of international students. The country also provides various other facilities to students worldwide.
The UK education system enjoys worldwide recognition. The students who have attained degrees from UK universities get various opportunities worldwide. They are hired by top companies that pay lucrative salaries and other benefits.
The universities of Oxford and Cambridge are among the top universities globally known for imparting quality education for years.
- Education cost
The economically sustainable education system is another reason for choosing the UK for masters. The duration of the degrees in the UK is less than in many other countries. For example, graduation can be completed in three years in the UK, whereas it is four years in many other countries.
The master’s degree can be completed in 1-2 years from the UK universities. Hence, with a shorter duration, the education cost is lower in the UK. Also, the students from the European Union enjoy additional benefits. The UK universities provide quality education while keeping the cost of education low.
- Work Opportunities
Job opportunities in the UK after MS are massive, but you can also work during your course duration. There is an allowance for international students to work 20 hours a week while pursuing their education. Even though it will not cover all the expenses of the students but would provide them with some funding; therefore, students can have some financial security while studying in the UK.
- Scholarships in the UK
It is not easy to finance education in a foreign country. Students have to estimate the financial requirements, which include both the tuition fees and the relocation costs. However, the UK provides financial assistance to the students. It offers various scholarships and loans for international students.
The students who are willing to research will have to apply accordingly. Some of the scholarships offered by the UK government for MS students are Chevening Scholarship, Scotland Saltire scholarship, Commonwealth Masters Scholarship, etc.
- Rich culture
The UK is open to several cultures and traditions, making it a perfect land for international students. The country practices inclusiveness and welcomes people from all over the world.
Recommended Universities and Courses in the UK for Masters
The world-renowned UK universities offer advanced technology, faculty, and infrastructure, making them a perfect destination for students. The high-ranking universities provide exceptional education and various extra-curricular options to the students. They focus on the overall development and growth of their students. Therefore, the students get a lot of practical experience and exposure during their education in the UK.
Given below are the universities and their ranks according to the US News and World Report Ranking 2021. The ranking is based on the university’s graduation rate and the number of students enrolled in the second year of their studies.
- University of Oxford – Rank 5
- University of Cambridge – Rank 9
- University College London (UCL) – Rank 19
- Imperial College London – Rank 20
- The University of Edinburgh – Rank 30
- King’s College London – Rank 34
- The University of Manchester – Rank 64
- University of Glasgow – Rank 86
- University of Warwick – Rank 135
- London School of Economics and Political Science – Rank 244
Several other universities in the UK are known for their education system and specialization in their fields.
The most popular courses for Masters in the UK are STEM courses (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). Besides, the UK is also known for its management, law, and language courses. Some of the popular courses in the UK are mentioned below with the universities they are available in:
- MBA: The popular universities for completing master’s in business administration are London Business School, Cambridge Judge Business School, Said Business School, and Warwick Business School. These institutes are recognized worldwide.
- Masters in Computer Science: It is one of the most popular courses with increasing demand among the students. The universities offering MS in CS are the University of Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London, and the University of Edinburgh.
- Masters in Architecture: It is another popular course in the UK. The universities offering M. Arch are University College London, University of Cambridge, University of Sheffield, and Manchester School of Architecture.
- MS in Management: The UK universities offering MS in management are Imperial College Business School, London School of Economics and Political Science, Warwick Business School, and Alliance Manchester Business School.
- MS in Marketing: This course is offered by the University of Edinburgh, University of Bath, University of Bristol, and University of Exeter.
- MS in Psychology: The universities offering MS in psychology are the University of Oxford, University College London, King’s College London, and the University of Edinburgh.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support
Most Coveted Jobs in the UK after Masters
After completing a master’s degree in the UK, you can choose to pursue further studies or get a high-paying job in a top company. After MS, the most well-paid jobs are in the management and finance sectors. Some of the most popular jobs in the UK after MS are mentioned below with their average salaries:
- Finance services: Financial management professionals are always required in organizations. Hence, the demand for finance professionals is always high. The average annual salary is about 77,000 GBP (INR 76.89 Lacs).
- Executive management: It is another popular field with ample jobs for management professionals. The average salary offered is 70,000 GBP (INR 69.9 Lacs) per annum.
- Airline: Another important field paying high salaries to its employees is airlines. The average salary is about 63,000 GBP (INR 62.91 Lacs) per annum.
- Legal department: The field requires high-skilled professionals. The salary offered per annum is about 61,000 GBP (INR 60.92 Lacs).
- Data analysis and management: There has been an increased demand for Data analysts worldwide. The average salary is about 38,000 GBP (INR 37.95 Lacs) per annum.
- Software development: With the advent of technology, software development has become essential. The average salary is about 32,000 GBP (INR 31.95 Lacs) per annum.
Start Your Study Abroad Journey Now.
Scholarships offered in Masters in the UK
It is a costly affair to study abroad, but UK universities offer various scholarships to reduce the financial burden of the students. The scholarships are provided on merit.
Some of the universities and scholarships are mentioned below:
- University of Oxford: The University offers a scholarship named Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies. This scholarship covers all the expenses, including tuition fees and living expenses.
- University of Cambridge: The scholarship offered is Trinity Hall – Mann Studentship for Sciences. It funds the students an amount of 10,000 to 40,000 GBP (INR 9.9 – 39.94 Lacs).
- Imperial College London: They have a scholarship, Stevenson Funds giving the students 7,500 GBP (INR 7, 49,016).
- University College London: They have an alumni scholarship providing a benefit of about 10,000 GBP (INR 9.9 Lacs) to the students.
- London School of Economics and Political Science: They have Hilde Himmelweit Scholarship giving the students 2,000 GBP (INR 1.99 Lacs).
- University of Edinburgh: They provide the students with 50% off on tuition fees as a scholarship. It is covered under the John Fisher High-Performance Scholarship.
- King’s College London: They have the Norman Spink Scholarship. It awards 10,000 GBP (INR 9.9 Lacs) to the students.
- University of Manchester: The whole amount of the tuition fees are awarded under the GREAT Scholarship 2020.
- University of Warwick: The students get their tuition fees paid as a scholarship under the WMG School Scholarship.
There are many reasons for choosing the UK for masters. It is one of the best destinations to opt for higher education in the world. The universities are known all around the globe for their culture, standards, and quality of education. It is also a friendly country having a rich cultural heritage and high standard of living. Apart from all this, education in the UK is financially sustainable compared to other countries. Hence, there are several benefits available to international students in the UK.
Q1. Why is the UK best for masters?
A. Several reasons make the UK a suitable location for higher studies. Some of them are listed here: 1. The UK has excellent universities known for ages. Some of them are Oxford University, Cambridge University, Imperial College London, and many more. 2. The cost of studying in the UK is low compared to many other countries. 3. Several scholarships are available for international students. 4. The UK is a friendly country with a diverse culture. 5. Moreover, you can find many jobs after completing your master’s program in any stream.
Q2. Is the UK a good country to do masters?
A. Yes, the UK is a great country to do masters. All the facilities required by the students are present in the country. The UK has become one of the most popular destinations for education, attracting international students from around the whole. The average expense of studying in the UK is comparatively low. The degrees are also recognized worldwide. There are ample opportunities available for the students after completing their course.
Q3. Why does the UK offer 1 year Masters?
A. High-class teaching and advancements in the curriculum have made the duration of the master’s degree a year. High pace but efficient teaching methods eliminate the need for more time to complete the course. The students are expected to work independently after that.
Q4. What are the benefits of studying in the UK?
A. Some of the benefits of studying in the UK are: 1. The universities are internationally recognized for providing quality education. 2. The research infrastructure is robust. 3. Many scholarships and financial support are available. 4. You get a permit to work while studying. 5. The country has a rich and unique cultural heritage.