TheUniversity of Chester,located at Parkgate Road, Chester CH1 4BJ, United Kingdom,was established in 1839 as a training college. As a public university, it began expanding its educational programs, which now include a combination of420 courses.Today, the university consists ofmore than 1,700 facultymembers and20,000 studentsexploring different programs.This feature makes it an ideal destination for intenational students across the globe, ranking secondamongst UK universities at the ‘WhatUni? Student Choice Awards 2022.’In addition, theUniversity of Chester rankingaccording to SI-UK is animpressive 68. The university is ranked at #1201 in World University Rankings 2022, as per Times Higher Education (THE)....Read more
The University of Chester, UK, has a presence in multiple places like Chester, Thornton, Shrewsbury, Warrington, Reaseheath, and Birkenhead. Below are the details of infrastructure present in the Chester location:
1. Kingsway Creative campus
Houses arts, media, performance facilities, studios, outdoor amphitheater, library, learning resource center, and design workshop rooms
2. Exton Park
Includes careers team, wellbeing, and mental health team, university chapel, Seaborne library, computer labs, multimedia rooms, study zone, and various fitness facilities
3. Queen’s Park
Comprises the Chester Business School, Business library, lecture theatre, learning pods, and a cafeteria
4. The Hammond
Includes art institution, dance, drama studios, music suite, and university-owned accommodation
Houses a library, computer rooms, simulation suite, children’s ward, VR technology wards, and lecture theaters
The University of Chester has numerous academic departments that range from accounting to theology and religious studies. Here’s a list of some prominent branches where students can forge a remarkable career:
1. Arts and Design
2. Biological Science
3. Computer Science
9. Clinical Science and Nutrition
Dedicated centers at this famous institute include the Unit for Psychology of Health, Philip Barker Centre for Creative Learning, Healthy Futures Network, and other innovative domains.
Being an educational institute located in the UK, the medium of instruction at the University of Chester is English.
The University of Chester provides undergraduate, post-graduate, research, professional development, and apprenticeship degrees for students. Candidates can even explore combined honors and foundation degrees as per requirement.
Like most UK universities, this institute accepts applications from September to January. Hence, international students must adhere to the UCAS timetable and submit their online forms before the deadline.
In terms of the University of Chester admission process, it includes the following steps:
1. Students can begin by submitting an inquiry to the allotted country-specific officers
2. In the next step, international students need to fill out the AIMS International Online application through the official link
3. The admission team will review the application and issue a conditional or unconditional offer to the candidate
4. Students should carefully read the conditions in step three and meet all the criteria for the preferred course
5. Next, the candidate receives an email for accommodation application after payment of the deposit online
6. After finalizing the accommodation, students should apply for the tier-4 study visa promptly
The University of Chester admission requirements are as follows:
1. The entry requirements for different levels of courses vary as per the type of program. So, candidates should check their eligibility based on the criteria for foundation, bachelor’s, or master’s degree
2. To become eligible for a foundation year course, students need to score in the range of 60% – 70% in the final exam, depending on the state board
3. In the case of a typical undergraduate program, the minimum academic score should be in the range of 65% – 70%, depending on the state board
4. For post-graduate courses, the minimum eligible score in the bachelor’s course is set at 60% from all universities
5. To establish English language proficiency, the university requires an applicant to provide a minimum grade of 75% in 12th standard English across all the central boards
6. It is vital to note that students from Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar have to provide UKVI IELTS or SELT scores
7. The scores for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) IELTS are 6.0 and 6.5 for undergraduate and postgraduate programs, respectively
8. Similarly, the PTE and TOEFL (iBT) scores are 61 and 79 (minimum) for undergraduate courses, respectively
9. On the other hand, master’s degree aspirants need to score at least 65 and 88 in PTE and TOEFL (iBT), respectively
In addition, evidence of English language proficiency is vital to gain admissions.
Lastly, the University of Chester’s acceptance rate stands at 25% hence, international students with only good academic performance can secure admissions at the university.
At the University of Chester, students can explore an array of undergraduate, postgraduate, and research degrees. Also, the institute offers a chance to study combined degrees to gain knowledge in two different streams.
Here are some popular undergraduate courses at the University of Chester:
1. BSc Accounting and Finance
2. BA Archaeology
3. BA Business Finance
4. BA Business Management
5. BEng Chemical Engineering
6. BSc Software Engineering
7. BA Social Work
8. BA Product Design
9. BSc Microbiology
10. BA Marketing Management
12. LLB Law
In addition, students can pursue several master’s degree programs. Here are some popular ones:
1. MSc Advanced Computer Science
2. MRes Applied Science
3. MSc Biotechnology
4. MSc Computer Science
5. MA Creative Writing: Writing and Publishing Fiction
6. MSc Cybersecurity
7. MSc Data Science
8. MSc Digital Marketing
9. MSc Engineering Management
10. MA Journalism
Moreover, the university allows freedom for the candidates to customize their courses. Hence, the programs have a module-based structure.
A typical BA/BSc honors degree consists of 18 modules that comprise 360 credits, with one module dedicated solely to ‘Self Review and Negotiation of Learning.’
Candidates pursuing higher education need to undertake 120 credits that contribute to six modules. A diploma or foundation degree consists of 12 modules that contain 240 credits. Hence, each module is made of 20 credits.
Here are some other top programs that students can pursue at the University of Chester:
1. Biomedical Science
2. Clinical Science and Nutrition
5. Health Services Management
6. International Business
The university has ongoing projects in key sectors like Art and Design, Computer Science, English Literature, Education, Business, and Medicine in terms of research. Notably, there are eight specialized Research Centres for collaborating with experts from particular fields.
Furthermore, there are three terms at Chester University— Autumn, Spring, and Summer. Hence, the institute calendar revolves around a set period for these academic terms.
1. Autumn term: September to December
2. Spring term: January to April
3. Summer term: April to June
Extra-curriculars and diversity
Besides education, the University of Chester offers several opportunities for students to balance their academics. The institute has an active student union, sports clubs, various campus events, and volunteering prospects.
Clubs like Warrington Wolves, Chester Rugby, and Lymm Hockey provide various sporting opportunities. Students can also explore recreational sports, attend fitness classes, and benefit from the Athletics’ Union at Chester.
On the other hand, the Student’s Union has more than 80 societies for students to connect with like-minded people. They arrange various events throughout the year. Extracurricular activities like on-campus, virtual events, and kitchen sessions are some exciting prospects at the university.
Students from over 130 countries pursue their preferred professional courses from the University of Chester. To maintain a safe environment and support diversity, the institute has a ‘Staff Network’ and ‘Race Equality Groups.’ Notably, a dedicated staff of 50 members is actively known as the ‘Race Equality Challenge Staff Focus Group.’
To promote a thriving international community, the university organizes ‘Diversity Festival’ that focuses on equality, diversity, and multiculturalism.
Studying at the University of Chester is rewarding in terms of professional development. The institute collaborates with academic, international, and industrial employers to help students receive fruitful internships, research, and job opportunities.
For research purposes, bodies like CSCG (Chester Smart Composite Group) have collaborations with AMRC, ORE, NCC, and Aston University. Additionally, Advanced Composite, Multifunctional Composite, and Sensing Composite Research hubs are active with international collaboration.
These collaborations with international universities are beneficial for students pursuing research degrees. International candidates specifically looking for a significant career boost can also benefit from the industrial partners like Ford, McLaren, Airbus, H2O Turbines, Jaguar, and Ottobock that collaborate with the university.
Moreover, students can work during the course to meet their living expenses and gain invaluable experience. For this purpose, the university has a distinct body called ‘UniJob.’ This service can help aspirants work in roles like bar staff, researchers, administrative positions, or domestic assistants. The duration of such roles during the course is 15 hours every week.
In the UniJob roles, candidates earn GBP 8 (~INR 800) to GBP 11 (~INR 1000) per hour. On the other hand, the university’s ‘Workplace Experiences’ can provide the opportunity to work with an employer for 216 hours and earn GBP 2,000 (~INR 2 lakhs) as a scholarship.
After the course, students receive assistance for professional jobs through the Work Placements service. Generally, the process to equip a candidate with on-field experience begins during the course. The work-based learning module allows one to work at the desired organization for five weeks. After completing a program, the Careers Team aids in finding a suitable job offer.
With an opportunity to grow in all facets, the University of Chester has a rich history of notable alumni. Here are some famous names:
1. Rob Wotton: TV Presenter at Sky Sports News HQ
2. Michael Campbell: Professional drummer in Courteeners
3. Susan Earl: Actress
4. Sir David Brailsford: General Manager at Team Sky
5. Linda Clark: International Rower
6. Sajmira Cairns: Entrepreneur
7. Alan Jackson: Founder and Managing Director of Weight Management Centre
8. Tom Spencer: Author
9. Helen Jones: Labour MP at Warrington North
10. Dr. Graham Lawler: Education expert and author
The list of notable alumni makes it evident that the university offers top-class education in distinct fields. Chester University alumni work predominantly in sectors like Education, Business Development, and Social Services.
This university has a set criterion in terms of tuition fees for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Here are the details for international and EU students in a nutshell:
1. All undergraduate programs: GBP 12,950 (~INR 13 lakhs) per year
2. Post-graduate Business courses: GBP 12,950 (~INR 13 lakhs) per year
3. MBA courses: GBP 13,250 (~INR 13 lakhs) to GBP 13,750 (~INR 14 lakhs) per year
4. International Foundation courses: GBP 9,250 (~INR10 lakhs) per year
5. Post-graduate programs: GBP 13,450 (~INR 14 lakhs) per year
On the other hand, specific master’s courses like Wildlife Conservation, Physicians Associate, Art Therapy, etc., have a distinct fee structure. So, students interested in offbeat programs should contact the respective department for the accurate tuition cost.
According to the UK Visas and Immigration guidelines, GBP 9,135 (~INR 10,000) is the per-year cost of living in the United Kingdom. Hence, the University of Chester demands proof of funding for the mentioned amount.
The university also offers accommodation that varies as per the budget of students. The rent of these student residences ranges from approximately GBP 100 (~INR 10,000) to GBP 200 (~INR 20,000). But, international candidates can avail themselves of discounts, share rent, and find cheap deals to reduce their living expenses.
All information provided on this page is for general use and upGrad Abroad is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Any action taken upon the information found on this website is strictly at your own risk.