Thinking of pursuing an MS in London for Indian students? If the answer is yes, then you are definitely on the right track. London is one of the top-ranked study destinations for master’s programs in the UK and is a great student city, home to some of the world’s most renowned educational institutions. London also helps students build their careers in the best possible manner, being home to the world’s biggest companies in almost all sectors.
Why choose London as your study destination?
An MS in London for Indian students will be a good decision for the following reasons:
1. London is home to numerous globally reputed and highly-ranked universities including King’s College, Queen Mary University of London, UCL, and more.
2. London offers scope to pursue a vast range of programs and specializations for master’s students.
3. The city is home to the biggest companies and recruiters in several fields, right from Unilever to HSBC and Barclays to name a few.
4. Students find it comparatively easier to secure full and part-time employment and internships that build up their resumes in London as compared to many other cities in the UK.
5. London offers great nightlife, cultural and historical attractions, and well-rounded experiences for Indian students.
MS in London for Indian Students- Top Universities
Here are some of the leading universities in London which are reputed for their master’s programs, student life, and overall career prospects.
1. University College London (UCL)
2. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
3. Imperial College London
4. King’s College London
5. Queen Mary University of London
6. Birkbeck, University of London
7. City, University of London
8. Brunel University London
9. Royal Holloway University of London
10. Goldsmiths, University of London
11. SOAS University of London
12. University of Westminster
13. University of West London (UWL)
14. University of East London (UEL)
15. London South Bank University
16. London Metropolitan University (London Met)
17. University of Roehampton London
18. Middlesex University London
19. University of Greenwich
Here are some of the top courses for master’s aspirants in London:
1. MA Economics
2. MA/MSc Accounting
4. MA/MSc Psychology
5. Law (LLM)
6. Master of Architecture
7. MSc/MEng Computer Science
8. Master of Management
9. Master of Engineering
10. MA Political Science
11. MSc/MA Finance
12. MA Journalism
13. Masters in Communications
14. MD specializations
15. MA in English
16. MSc in Mathematical Sciences
Admission in MS
The popular intakes are usually between January to February (with deadlines in June-September) and September to October (with deadlines in February-May). There is an extra intake sometime in April or May but this only pertains to select educational programs.
While eligibility criteria vary across universities, here are some general guidelines:
1. Bachelor’s degree (honors) with minimum/equivalent GPA.
2. TOEFL/IELTS/PTE/Duolingo English Test as proof of English language proficiency (based on university specifications).
3. Two-three years of work experience depending on the course and university (some may ask for it).
4. GRE/GMAT scores if required.
5. Specific academic/subject background depending on the course, specialization, and university guidelines.
Exams to be taken
The examinations for proving English language proficiency include IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/Duolingo English Test and other recognized examinations at London universities.
Students may also have to sit for either the GRE or GMAT depending on the course. Some other examinations include MAT/BMAT/LNAT and others. SAT/ACT examinations are necessary for some universities as well.
Here are the documents that you may require:
1. Application form (filled-up)
3. Passport or ID copy
4. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate
5. Official academic transcripts
6. Copy of English language test scores
7. Copy of GRE/GMAT test scores if required
8. Self-attested mark sheets and certificates of Classes X and XII
9. Two references, if required
10. Proof of funds to pay for the course
11. LOR (Letter of Recommendation)
12. SOP (Statement of Purpose)
Process to Apply
Here are the steps:
1. You should first select your chosen universities and courses.
2. Find out the deadlines of specific universities and colleges in London. You should start the entire process at least 6-12 months before the real deadline. This will give you sufficient time for your SOP, LORs, proficiency tests, scholarship/funding choices, and accommodation bookings.
3. Sit for English language and other tests as required.
4. Get all your documents in order while writing your SOPs and getting LORs from your supervisors and teachers. Arrange your proof of funds as well.
5. Apply directly to the universities at their official websites or via UCAS wherever applicable.
Cost of MS in London
The average master’s in London cost is around GBP 15-35,000 (INR 15-35 lakh) per year. At the same time, London is one of the costliest cities in the United Kingdom. You will have to budget at least GBP 213 (INR 21,300) in rentals each week along with GBP 30 (INR 3,000) in weekly food costs. You should also set aside GBP 208 (INR 20,800) in course materials and books for each semester along with GBP 40 (INR 4,000) in miscellaneous expenditure every week.
A popular field of studies for MS in London
Some of the popular study fields include the following:
1. Computer Science
3. International Relations
5. Business Administration
7. Medicine and Dentistry
8. Veterinary Science
Jobs after MS in London
London is one of the world’s most rewarding and biggest job markets, offering innumerable opportunities for students. Some of the leading recruiters in the city include the likes of Barclays, HSBC, Marks & Spencer, Amazon, BP, Google, Audible Limited, Clintec, Lloyds, and many others. Graduates can look forward to average salaries of GBP 33,000-41,000 (INR 33-41 lakh) per year after completing their courses. Some of the top job positions include research assistant, manager, biologist, physicist, chemist, civil engineer, microbiologist, professor, biochemist, food and drug inspector, laboratory technician, environmental scientist, statistician, bioengineer, and more.
Top Industries to Choose From
Some of the leading industries that hire students include the following:
1. Heath Services
5. Food and Beverages
9. Human Resources
11. Chemicals, Environmental, Mining, and Energy
12. Consulting and Professional Solutions
14. E-Commerce, Web, and Apps
15. Consumer Products
18. Transportation and Logistics
19. Media and Communications
20. Trade and Retail
21. Real Estate and Construction
22. Sports, Recreation, Culture, Services, and Tourism
24. Public Sector
Post-study work visa options
Students will need their Tier-4 General Student visas for traveling to London and taking up their full-time courses. There is a post-study visa that will let students stay back in London if they have job offers with annual salaries of GBP 20,800 (INR 20.08 lakh) at least. Students can change to the Tier-2 general visa which offers a tenure of five years after completing their courses. They can be eligible for permanent residency in the UK once they earn a minimum of GBP 35,000 (INR 35 lakh) per year.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support
Q1. How much does it cost to do MS in London?
A. The average cost of doing an MS in London is around GBP 15-35,000 (INR 15-35 lakh). London is an expensive city to live in and students should budget higher for the cost of living as well. The average fees are mostly dependent on the courses chosen and the institutions in question.
Q2. How can I apply for MS in London?
A. You can readily apply for MS in London by checking the application dates and procedures given on the websites of your preferred universities. Apply directly online to these universities within the application deadlines with all your supporting documents. You can also apply via portals like UCAS in some cases.