Forensic science is implementing science to criminal and civil laws at the time of the investigation. One can make a career in forensic science, and they can get various jobs in the private or government sector. Many opportunities are available after completing the degree. BSc Forensic Science in the UK spans four years. This course offers insight into how scientific approaches can be used at the time of forensic investigation.
Many universities offer BSc Forensic Science in the UK, which includes time and project management, analytical thinking, critical reviews, and applied computer skills. BSc Forensic Science in the UK eligibility criteria varies across institutions.
Top Reasons to Pursue the Course from the UK
Before starting BSc Forensic Science in the UK, one should thoroughly know about the course and its opportunities. One should also have some clarity about the subject. Some reasons behind choosing the course are mentioned below:
- Many crimes are solved on the basis of forensic science, and forensic experts are indispensable in these cases.
- Students can open their firms to investigate privately.
- After completing this course, the students can work in many areas, such as forensic science, crime scenes, support work, law enforcement, analytical chemistry, etc.
Here are the leading universities with BSc Forensic Science in the UK fees
Ranking (QS 2022)
Fees and Other details
Nottingham Trent University
The tuition fee for the academic year 2022-23 is 15,250 GBP
University of Greenwich
The course fees of the university per year are approx 14,000 GBP
University of Kent
The tuition fees for this course are divided into three parts: International full time 21,900
This university has annual over 13000 GBP
The University of the West of Scotland
University of Lincoln
15,000 GBP yearly
University of Huddersfield
16,000 GBP or over.
Glasgow Caledonian University
13,500 GBP per year
14,000 GBP per year
University of Central Lancashire
Annually 14,200 GBP
General Eligibility for the course
There are various things needed to take admission into BSc Forensic Science in the UK. Here are some BSc Forensic Science in the UK eligibility criteria:
- A student needs a 10+2 certificate from a recognized institution.
- Typical International Baccalaureate requirements with 32 points.
- The IELTS requirements are 6.0 overall, with no less than 5.5 in any one part.
- Typical A-level conditions: AAB, including chemistry, biology, chemistry, or other science subjects.
- Students should have five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including Maths and English.
- BTEC National Diploma in Science with distinction.
- For international students, an English proficiency certificate should be submitted.
How to Apply?
Students aged 18 or above with high school certificates can apply for the course. The UCAS tariff points of 112-128 are needed for BSc (Hons) and 32 for BSc with Honours, including the foundation year from level 3 qualifications. The students with general studies are not eligible for applications. Those who have completed high school studies with two science subjects, biology, and chemistry, can apply for the course. The student should get a grade of C or above. BSc Forensic Science in the UK applicants should have adequate marks in their 10+2 exams.
BSc Forensic Science in the UK covers the below-mentioned modules in most cases:
- Investigative science
- Forensic indicators
- Scenes of crime
- Weapon technology
- DNA analysis
- Explosion and fire
- Psychology research methods
- Brain, behavior, and cognition
- Forensic criminal behaviors and mental health
- Fiber analysis
- Drugs of abuse
Job Prospects and Expected Remuneration
The course targets the evolution of skills and knowledge which is required for any forensic practice. The overall remuneration salary for forensic scientists generally starts around 20,000 Euros. With experience, the salary can increase from 25,000 to 34,000 Euros.
The seniors can get a salary of over 46,000 Euros. Forensic scientists can get jobs in private companies that provide these services to agencies and police forces. The average salary of a forensic scientist in the UK is 27,200 Euros.
Here are some job prospects and expected salaries:
- Examiner – Average 33,820 Euros per year
- Forensic technician- average 24,350 Euros per year.
- Forensic investigator- average 37,200 Euros per year.
- Evidence technician – average 33,710 Euros per year.
- Forensic Analyst – 28,810 Euros per year.
- Crime Scene Technician – 27,400 Euros per year.
What is the focus of forensic science?
Forensic science is a key element of the criminal justice procedure. It is an obvious thing in modern criminology. Forensic scientists analyze and examine the evidence from the crime spot to deduce and investigate accordingly. Forensic science helps discover crimes and their motivations. Different signs can be found at crime scenes, and forensic scientists can find related and significant clues. The data relating to forensic science, such as DNA and fingerprints, are of immense help to investigators and police forces. Forensic scientists are responsible for analyzing and collecting evidence from a crime scene, communicating with the law and administration, and providing evidence at trials.
What subjects are studied in forensic science?
Forensic science needs two science subjects mainly, i.e., biology and chemistry. The course includes the other branches of science, which are medicine, psychology, odontology, brain, behavior and attention, and so on. Forensic science students also need to study law and its application through criminology. Weapon technology, criminal analysis, crime scene study, explosion, and fire are also subjects in forensic science. Molecular biology, forensic chemistry, toxicology, forensic nursing, engineering, and forensic entomology are some other important aspects covered by the course.
What is forensic science’s scope in the job market?
There are many job opportunities for forensic scientists, such as working in the police force, investigation agencies, law enforcement, customs, etc. Analytical chemists, detectives, forensic scientists, toxicologists, and crime scene investigators are also highly in demand worldwide. Scientific laboratory technicians, biomedical scientists, and other job positions are also available.
✓End to end Visa/Application support