The Rhodes Scholarship is a prestigious international scholarship for outstanding students to study at the University of Oxford. It is a fully-funded scholarship program for students to take admission to postgraduate courses and Ph.D. programs.
It has been the oldest and perhaps the most renowned scholarship program for outstanding students to study at the University of Oxford since 1903. There are more than 4500 Rhodes scholars. The scholarship is given to students from all over the world who are creating a huge difference for the betterment of the world. The Rhodes Scholarship covers postgraduate courses in all disciplines, including social science, physical science, life science, mathematics, and humanities.
It is a merit-based, college-specific scholarship program awarded to exceptionally brilliant students. The scholarship amount is INR 17,48,067 annually, and it is renewed yearly. The Rhodes Scholarship is available for two years in the first instance and covers the college fees of Oxford University along with an annual stipend. The stipend can be used for living expenses.
Rhodes Scholarship allows students to cover two master’s degree and PhD programs at the University of Oxford.
- Scholarship for MS in UK
- The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarship
- Sussex India Scholarship
- Oxford University’s Rhodes Scholarship
- Cambridge University Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
- Hornby Scholarships
- John Kinghorn Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
It is essential to check the eligibility criteria before applying to the Rhodes Scholarship. The Rhodes Scholarship is available only to students coming to study in the UK for the very first time. The competition is vast, as the nominations are fifth times the actual scholarship intakes. The number of scholarships is 100. Here are the eligibility criteria for postgraduate degrees:
- Students should be citizens of their home country. Students from India should hold Indian citizenship and be residents of the country.
- Proof of citizenship and passport is necessary to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship.
- Students should have completed a minimum of four years of study from a recognized board of study in a formal education full-time.
- Candidates applying for Rhodes Scholarship should be 26 years or less than that at the time of submitting the scholarship application.
- Students should have completed a full-time undergraduate degree of study with a first-class degree.
- Applicants should be meritorious and have impacted society with some development and growth. It is a life-changing opportunity, but only those impacting society positively get through.
Rhodes Scholarship for Ph.D. Programs
For PhD programs, Rhodes Scholarship offers full funding opportunities for the first 3 years along with an annual stipend. In the first instance, the scholarship for the PhD program will be offered for 2 years, and then it will be renewed.
- Students should have completed a master’s degree from a relevant field of study and recognized board of formal education.
- Candidates applying should be 26 years or less than that when applying for the scholarship.
- Students applying for the particular subject or specialization in Ph.D. should have studied the subject in their masters.
- Proof of citizenship and valid passport belonging to the home country
- Students should complete a minimum of 4 years of study from a recognized board of formal education.
- Students should hold citizenship in any particular country. Students from all over the world can apply for the Rhodes Scholarship.
Benefits of Rhodes Scholarship
Rhodes Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship that is not just a financial bursary. It is a fully-funded scholarship program for students taking admission to the University of Oxford. The scholarship funding is available for the first two years of the program. The cost of a Tier 4 Study Visa is included in the Rhodes Scholarship.
The primary thing covered under the Rhodes Scholarship is the tuition fee, as the Rhodes Scholarship Trust entirely funds it.
The Rhodes Scholarship covers the entire tuition fee of Oxford University along with a stipend annually to manage the living cost like accommodation, food, transport, and miscellaneous. For the academic year 2021-2022, the stipend is £17,310 (INR 1755470) per annum or £1,442.50 (INR 146280) per month. It does not include any spouse or dependant.
The scholarship amount and tenure depend upon the course. For example, students enrolled in Ph.D. programs get a full fee waived off and a stipend for 3 years.
The Rhodes Scholarship also covers the health insurance charges under International Health Surcharge (IHS) during the course or program. The Rhodes Scholarship also allows two economy class airfare tickets to and from the UK for the beginning and end of studies.
After the arrival, students at the University of Oxford received an additional allowance of £ 250 in 2020-2021 for visa renewal health insurance renewal for the second course of study.
Documents for Rhodes Scholarship
At the time of application, students need to upload and submit the relevant required documents online. Here’s the list of important documents needed at the time of application:
- A valid Passport.
- Proof of the citizenship of the home country
- Academic transcripts and records of class 10 and class 12 examinations.
- Test scores of IELTS and TOEFL scores. Students need to take the English language proficiency test to be eligible for Rhodes Scholarship.
- Updated curriculum vitae. It should not be less than two pages. The updated copy of the curriculum vitae should have all the information like Academic Qualifications, Prizes, Scholarships, employment positions, voluntary/ community/political activities, and any cultural, musical, or sporting accomplishments.
- A recent colored passport-size photograph.
- Personal statement or statement of purpose which will be of 1000 words. It should state why you need this scholarship and why you are the right fit. It should have all the details about your goals, commitment, and contribution in the past. A good statement of purpose helps.
- A letter of recommendation is essential. Minimum 2 letters of recommendation are compulsory from last faculties capable of remarking on your academic records.
Universities for Masters in Physiotherapy in UK
Top Universities in UK for Masters in Construction Management
MS in UK for Indian Students
Why UK for Masters
Masters in International Business in UK
Master’s in Public Health in UK
How to Apply?
Eligible candidates can follow the steps mentioned below to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship:
- Candidates must visit the official website of the Rhodes Trust and register to create an account.
- After registration, fill up the Rhodes Scholarship Application form completely.
- Scan and upload all the documents. Complete the personal details form by uploading all the documents as required by the Rhodes Trust.
- Submit the required documents along with the application form.
- Make sure you apply before the deadline.
The Global Rhodes Scholarship 2023-2024 started accepting online applications from June 1, 2022, to October 6, 2022. Students need to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship within October 6, 2022. After this, no application will be accepted. Therefore, apply online before the deadline. Check the official website for any changes in dates.
The acceptance rate for Rhodes Scholarship is meager. Almost 5 times of the actual intake is nominated for the scholarship. There are 100 scholarships available for international students. Students need to have specific capabilities and excellence, which increases the likelihood of getting selected for the Rhodes Scholarship. Since it applies to students of all countries, this full funding opportunity to study at the University of Oxford is a competitive option. Here are the essential criteria of the selection process:
- The selection is solely made based on academic records.
- Candidates are also selected based on talent in theatre, singing, dance, sports, sports, art, and writing.
- Candidates who possess value-based soft skills like sympathy, honesty, benevolence, protection for the deprived and weaker people, and selflessness will increase their chances of selection.
- Candidates with good leadership skills are given a chance. Leadership qualities and skills increase the chances of getting a Rhodes Scholarship.
- Candidates passionate about bringing positive change to society can improve the chances of getting selected for the Rhodes Scholarship.
For students aspiring to take admission at the University of Oxford, Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing opportunity for brilliant students. International students with outstanding academic records are eligible for the fully funded Rhodes Scholarship at Oxford University. There are 4500 Rhodes Scholars worldwide, creating a benchmark in the society with their academic excellence. The scholarship offers fully funded fee waivers and an annual stipend for living costs.