With increasing digitization, cyberattacks are also on the rise. As a result, the need for cyber security professionals is also increasing. A career in cyber security is promising, thus attracting more and more people into this field. The UK is one country that provides comprehensive education and employment opportunities for cyber security professionals. MSc Cyber Security in the UK helps train students to handle and manage IT security and data protection, enabling them to land lucrative jobs in the field.
Why Choose the UK for Master’s in Cyber Security?
Britain houses some of the top universities globally that provide an excellent learning platform to students worldwide. The best universities for masters in cyber security in the UK are regularly featured in the international ranking of universities.
The UK has an open and friendly multicultural environment that helps students develop and pursue a lucrative career after their master’s.
The UK has become among the top countries to have demonstrated extensive IT development. This development has generated a greater demand for jobs in cybersecurity. Many universities in the UK now offer cybersecurity courses to cater to this demand.
Master’s in cyber security in the UK offers various skills across security science, software engineering, and technology. Cybersecurity courses in UK universities are formulated in consultation with the industry. It ensures that students have all the skills needed for the workplace. For instance, most UK universities train the students for the BSI ISO 27001 lead auditor certifications. It helps students to strengthen their employability.
Master’s in Cyber Security in the UK is a sought-after requirement by employers. With a Computer Science & Information Technology degree, undergraduates can pursue a cyber security master’s degree. It equips students with the knowledge and skills required for the IT industry.
A master’s degree covers both cyber security’s technical and managerial aspects. As attackers become more inventive and online threats evolve, the government and companies look for cybersecurity experts to secure their systems from cybercriminals.
Cyber security salary in the UK generally starts from GBP 65,000 (INR 65 Lakh) to GBP 100,000(INR 1 crore). Salaries for experienced and senior cyber security analysts typically fall between GBP 65,000 (INR 65 Lakh) and GBP 85,000 (INR 85 Lakh). In higher-level leadership or managerial roles, salaries can exceed GBP 100,000 (INR 1 crore).
Top Universities for Master’s in Cyber Security in the UK
Different universities offer different courses. Some of the best universities for master’s in cyber security in the UK are:
1. Lancaster University: MSc cyber security in the UK is a 12-month full-time course. The MS degree helps the students to work in IT security. Recently, Lancaster was granted the EPSRC-GCHQ Academic Centre of Excellence in cybersecurity research.
Advanced technical skills help learners to grow organically. Disciplines such as economics, risk management, psychology, and social science are combined with the course offered.
Fees for international students: GBP £25,700 (INR 25,73,00).
2. University of Southampton: Master’s in Cyber Security is also a 12-month program. The Guardian, Times Higher Education, and The Sunday Times have ranked the University of Southampton in the top 10 computer science courses.
Fees for international students: GBP 28,000 approx (INR 28 Lakh)
3. University of Birmingham: MSc in Cyber Security equips students with skills to solve real-time problems. The Russell Group for Computer Science and Information Systems in the Guardian University Guide 2016 has ranked the University of Birmingham at 3rd position.
Fees for international students: GBP 25,000 approx (INR 25 Lakh).
4. University of York: MSc in Cyber Security comprises 8 modules. The course at the university also includes one final individual project. The University of York requires a strong computer background. Things covered in the course are:
- Trust and reputation
- Network security
- Malware, and intrusion detection,
- Risk management and development of high assurance systems
Fees for international students: GBP 24,500 approx (INR 24,52,000).
5. Royal Holloway: MSc in Information Security is offered by the university as a one-year course with a practical component. It helps the students get valuable experience. Course in the Royal Holloway has received accreditation by GCHQ. The MSc in Information Security has three main elements: Core made up of four modules, Options made up of two optional modules, and a Project.
International students’ tuition fee: GBP 26,200 approx (INR 26,24,000)
|Popular Study Abroad Destinations|
|Study in Canada||Study in Australia|
|Study in USA||Study in Germany|
|Study in Ireland|
Cost of Studying MS in Cyber Security in the UK
Universities offering master’s in cyber security in the UK may charge high fees. Thus, many international students seek financial assistance to fully or partially cover their study and living costs. However, the living cost varies from city to city. The cost for studying MS in cyber security in the UK can be classified into two categories:
- Post arrival.
1. Pre-arrival/departure cost
This includes money spent while you are still in your home country, such as application fees, PTE fees, VISA application, IELTS registration fee, TOEFL (iBT) registration fees, airfare. It can cost from INR 1.21 -1.31 Lakh.
2. Post arrival cost
Tuition fees differ from college to college, and it can cost up to INR 20-30 Lakh for top colleges. University of Birmingham, University College London, and Lancaster University are among the leading universities offering master’s in cyber security in the UK.
UK universities for international students require no GRE. To apply for a master’s in cyber security, international students must provide only their bachelor’s score and IELTS/TOEFL scores.
|Lancaster University||UG with at least 60% is required with 55% in two consecutive years|
|University of Southampton||Computer language with at least 55-65%|
|University of Birmingham||UG degree(3 or 4 years) with first-class (2:1)|
|University of York||UG degree with at least 60%|
|Royal Holloway||UG degree with at least 55-60% and 5.5-6.0 on CGPA|
Job Opportunities after Master’s in Cyber Security in the UK
UK has a 95% employability rate within 3 months of completing an MSc in cyber security in the UK. There is an excellent cyber security salary in the UK due to the high demand for attention to detail, technical skills, problem-solving mentality, and the ability to analyze risks.
Job opportunities are available with excellent positions such as Cybersecurity specialist, Cybercrime analyst, Incident analyst, Cybersecurity analyst, IT auditor, Cyber Security consultant, Penetration, and vulnerability tester, Cybersecurity manager. Across the UK, GBP 65,000 (INR 65 Lakh) is the average annual salary after a master’s in cyber security in the UK.
All international students need a student visa to study in the UK. The student visa allows them to live and study in the UK throughout the course. Students must start preparing for their visa application 3 months before starting the course.
Once the student gets an offer from a university, they can apply for a student visa. Students who are 16 and above can apply for tier 4 (General) student visas. University (approved by the UK government as a ‘licensed Tier 4 sponsor’) will then give the student a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS).
Documents needed to apply for a visa are:
- The current passport or other valid travel documentation
- proof that the student has enough money to cover his/her living expenses and the course
- Tuberculosis test results
- Criminal record certificate
- If the student is under 18, then consent is required to prove parental or other legal guardians.
- Recent passport size photograph
The competition to apply for good and generous UK scholarships is very high. Your academic record is one of the first things the faculties consider. There are many types of scholarships and specialties for different types of students, such as those looking for cyber security scholarships. Some awards are monetary, while others offer internships and jobs.
Some of the scholarships offered are:
The Chevening Scholarships
Students with impressive academic results and high leadership potential can get these scholarships. The UK government offers the Chevening Scholarships. It covers tuition, travel, and application costs and grants a monthly stipend for living expenses. It is worth over GBP 18,000 (INR 15,81,259)
Eligibility: A bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience are mandatory.
The Royal Society Grants
Fellowship of many of the world’s most eminent scientists, the Royal Society is the oldest scientific academy globally. The Fellowship offers various types of grants and awards.
Other popular scholarships are:
- Cisco Scholarships are offered to UCL women students.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship helps Indian students in UK universities.
- Goa Education Trust Scholarship partnered with UK universities is available for Indian students. It offers students a full or partial tuition waiver.
- Available to Indian students, Northumbria University Country Scholarship is one of the most popular scholarships.
- Vice Chancellor’s International Attainment Scholarship is offered to the new international student enrolling with Queen’s University of Belfast’s PG-taught program. The scholarship covers 50% tuition fees.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship is available for an international student applying for a master’s with the University of York.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the UK good for a master’s in cyber security?
With a rise in the number of jobs in the UK for professionals with relevant education, graduates with a master’s in cyber security can earn an average of 65,000 GBP annually. Furthermore, there is a steady rise in salaries across the sector as it is estimated about 1,00,000 unfilled cybersecurity jobs will be required in the UK by 2022.
Why should I study cyber security in the UK?
Cyber Security programs in the UK help develop analytical and operational knowledge of areas related to cyber technology. The programs teach you how to protect computer operating systems, networks, and data from cyber-attacks.
Do you need a degree in cyber security in the UK?
No, you can work as a cybersecurity analyst without a college degree since many employers do not require candidates to have one. However, you must possess the skills necessary to perform your job. But it is hard for foreign workers to get such jobs without degrees.
Is it worth pursuing a cybersecurity degree in the UK?
Cyber security professionals can expect to have the fastest-growing salaries in the UK at the start of their careers. As a result, cybersecurity jobs are in high demand in the UK, and they are predicted to grow more in the future.
Can international students get a job in cybersecurity after doing a master’s in the UK?
You will have to apply for a visa extension if you wish to stay and work in the UK after you finish your program. Note that you’ll not be eligible for the popular Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa anymore. Instead, you shall have to apply for a Start-up visa.
Disclaimer! All course fees and salaries are approximate amounts subject to change depending on various conditions.
Popular Exams to Study Abroad
|What is IELTS Exam||What is ACT Exam||What is SAT Exam|
|What is GMAT Exam||What is GRE Exam||What is PTE Exam|
|What is TOEFL exam||Eligibility Criteria for IELTS Exam||PTE Eligibility Criteria|
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support