Founded in 1826, UCL London is one of the world’s eminent multidisciplinary public research universities. With an emphasis on inclusivity and excellence, the university was one of the pioneers of education institutions to welcome students worldwide from any religion. It was also the pioneering university in England to offer equal learning opportunities to women.
With 11,000 staff members and 39,000 students worldwide, the institution is regarded as exemplary for research-based learning. To ensure educational opportunities for everyone, the university offers various degrees and courses to choose from:
- Undergraduate courses
- Graduate taught programs
- Graduate research programs
- Teacher training courses
- Study Abroad programs
- Summer School modules
- Short courses and continuing professional development options
Due to its dedication to offering practical solutions to global challenges, UCL London has ranked among the top 10 universities since 2010. According to QS World University Rankings of 2023, UCL London University secured 8th position in 1422 universities. Out of 10 metrics considered by the QS Rankings, UCL London scored 98.6% in five indicators.
In addition, the university has retained its position as a top education institution in the Times Higher World Rankings of 2022 with 18th rank.
University College London- Acceptance rate
Merely meeting the minimum UCL London admission criteria doesn’t ensure selection in a preferred course. Due to the global reputation and progressive approach of the university, students from all disciplines seek to receive an admission offer from the university.
A student can estimate the extent of cutthroat competition by the acceptance rate of candidates in the Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering course. Out of 1060 applicants, only 341 students, making up only 26%, successfully acquired admission for the session 2015-16. Similarly, for the postgraduate degree in chemical engineering, 78 applications out of 204 were victorious in enrolling in the PGT program at UCL London.
Eligibility Criteria to Take Admission in UCL
The competition at UCL London can be challenging. For this reason, it’s essential to check UCL London admission criteria before filling out the application forms. For undergraduate courses, the university welcomes course applications from students with A levels and other equivalent qualifications.
Based on the degree program, the university assesses the applicants’ qualifications in the range of A*A*A–ABB indicators. In addition, UCL London also requires certification of proficiency in the English language.
The English language proficiency requirements of the university, in addition to the test results from the international student, include:
- 12 months of education leading to an academic qualification in an English-speaking country
- 18 months of work experience in English speaking country
- A qualification test results accepted by UCL
- School leaving certificate containing English
In addition to the certification of English proficiency, other UCL London admission requirements for international students are:
- Student Visa
- ATAS certificate
- Academic transcript in English
- Personal Statement
- Home institution confirmation proof
- First or Second Class bachelor’s degree
- GMAT or GRE test, for some programs
Searching for precise information on “how to get admission to UCL London” is necessary before the candidate begins filling out the application form. The essential documents required for application to UCL London through the UCAS portal are:
- Certificate of English Proficiency
- Confirmation evidence for Home Institution for international students
- Academic transcripts of school-level education and bachelor’s degree
- UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificates for candidates without 2-year university-level education
- Copy of current passport, if VISA is required
- Research proposals for a doctorate degree
- Disability certificate and Ethnic Origin Motoring form
Tests required/Average scores
UCL London offers more than 400 undergraduate and 650 graduate degree courses. The qualification standard expected of the applicants include:
- A-level equivalent qualification with an average grade equivalent to UK Upper Second Class
- Certificate awarded by ICSE or CBSE with subjects carrying minimum scores of 90, 85, 85, 85, and 85
- First-class degree of 3-5 years course for Master’s course application with GPA 6.75 – 10 or 55-70%
For English Proficiency assessment, the score requirements vary from one test to another in Standard, Good and Advanced categories, such as:
- IELTS: 6.5, 7 and 7.5
- TOEFL: 92, 100 and 109
- UCL Pre-Sessional courses: 65%, 70% and 75%
- UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate: 65%, 70%, and 75%
- CPE test: 176, 185 and 191
- CAE test: 176, 185 and 191
- Pearson Test of English: 62, 69 and 75
- Trinity ISE test: Pass, Merit, and Distinction
- ESOL: B2 Communicator test with High Pass, C1 Expert test with Pass, and C1 Expert test with High Pass
- GCSE/IGCSE English Language: Grade C or ‘Pass at five’ and Grade B or ‘Pass at six’ certification
Maintaining its position as the most sought Institute for Education, various other courses have high requirements from candidates, such as:
- Architecture and Built Environment
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Evaluation Process by the University
With a progressive approach to teaching and education, the selection panel assesses each student based on merit and academic background.
After submitting the final application, each candidate gets access to the university-approved channel for seamless communication. In addition, Portico (applicant portal) also allows candidates to make changes if necessary and is permitted by the university administration in the application form.
The university utilizes the same portal to inform the shortlisted students about their selection and the next steps. The evaluation process of UCL London is decided by the selection panel internally.
Tips for applying to university
Getting world-class education at UCL London is a dream of many. With that being said, a lot of applications are rejected every year due to non-compliance with university requirements. Here are the tips that can help you apply correctly to UCL London:
- Apply within deadlines: Since the university receives thousands of applications, enrolling in the chosen course requires you to move fast.
- Fill out correct details: The university allows detailed correction in submitted forms only in exceptional circumstances.
- Provide authentic information: Upload only the accurate and correct documents in your application to prevent rejection on the grounds of fraud.
- Join UCL Open Days: On the Open Days, the candidates can learn all about the campus, academic staff, as well as fees and funding.
- Stand out in your personal statement: Write a comprehensive personal statement that underlines your achievements, skills, and ambitions.
- Pick out the most suitable course option: Since you can apply to multiple courses at once, at the time of selection, choose the most suitable option based on career progression, reputation, and cultural inclusivity.
Here is a list of all the crucial deadlines you must keep in mind before applying for a course:
- Opening date for the receipt of applications for September 2023 entry: September 2022
- Deadline for receipt of an application for Medicine course: 15th October 2022
- Deadline for general applications: 25th January 2023
- Deadline for decisions on the application submitted: 18th May 2023
- Deadline for UCAS Late and Extra applications receipt: 30th June 2023
✓End to end Visa/Application support