A popular study abroad destination among students, Australia is known for its quality education. Learners can choose from more than 22,000 courses in over 29 study areas. Australia has been determined to increase internationalization and attract millions of students around the globe.
As per the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2022, around 11 Australian Universities have ranked among the top 50 universities. The diverse range of study fields offers many opportunities to young learners. Australia promotes higher education quality and safety of international students. For the students planning to study at an Australian university, we have gathered all the facts, figures, and information they will require before deciding.
Read More: How Much Gap Is Acceptable for Study in Australia?
Table of Contents
- Australian Education System
- Group of Eight
- Reasons Why you Should Study in Australia
- Best Cities to Study in Australia
- Various Fields of Study
- Best Courses Offered
- Best Universities in Australia with University Rankings
- Tuition Fees
- Admission Eligibility Requirements in Australia
- Academic Necessities
- English Language Proficiency Exam for Admission
- Exams to Study UG Programs in Australia
- Application Forms
- Australia Study Visa Requirements
- How to Apply to an Australian University?
- Timeline for Admission to Australian Universities
- How to Apply For Study Visa in Australia?
- Scholarships to Study in Australia
- How To Get A Scholarship To Study In Australia?
- Job Opportunities after Studying in Australia
- Study abroad with upGrad Abroad
- Frequently Asked Questions
Australian Education System
Australia’s education system is divided into elementary, secondary, and university education. The Australian Qualifications Framework sets the criteria for the education system in Australia (AQF). The AQF is divided into ten levels. Certificate courses are at levels 1-4, diploma programs are at level 5, advanced diploma and associate degrees are at level 6, bachelor’s degrees are at level 7, bachelor’s honours degrees, graduate certificates, and diplomas are at level 8, master’s degrees are at level 9, and doctoral degrees are at level 10.
Group of Eight
Australia has a Group of Eight, which comprises the country’s top research universities. Also known as Go8, these universities focus on developing and delivering long-term sustainable higher education goals and policies to establish international collaboration and partnerships for research purposes. Here are the eight Australian universities that are part of Go8:
- The University of Melbourne
- Australian National University
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Western Australia
- The University of Adelaide
- Monash University
- UNSW Sydney
The Go8 universities receive an Australian Competitive Grant of around 73%, and every year, they spend around $2 Billion on Medical and Health-related research. They operate in collaboration with research organizations in various countries such as Brazil, Chile, Germany, and many more.
Important Resources to Read About Australia:
|Australia Post-Study Work Visa||Why Study in Australia?||IELTS Score for Australia|
|491 Visa Australia||MBA fees in Australia||Education System in Australia|
|Job Opportunities in Australia||Part time Jobs in Australia||Top Cities in Australia|
Reasons Why you Should Study in Australia
There are a plethora of reasons to apply to Australian universities to pursue higher education. The universities here welcome applications from all over the world. Here are the top reasons to choose Australia as your next study abroad destination.
1. Student-friendly country–
The universities in Australia extend support to international students both academically and personally. There are various programs offered in the foundation and pathway years where students get help with academic studies and the English Language. Also, six Australian cities, including Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, and Canberra are ranked among the top 50 Best Student Cities 2022 as per QS Top Universities Rankings.
2. World-leading Universities–
There are 43 universities in Australia, out of which two are international universities, one private speciality university, and 40 Australian universities. However, various other institutions are offering higher education courses. When it comes to rankings, Australian Universities have already proved their mettle.
3. Gain work experience while studying–
As per Australian employment policy, students can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full time during the breaks. Working students get the same protection as anyone else working there. The minimum wage in Australia was around AUD 772 per week in 2021. Working students will get paid as per marketing standards and the skills they have to offer.
4. Plethora of subjects to choose from–
There are various programs offered in the country for students to choose from. There are academic or more vocational and practicality-based programs.
5. Post-study work visa–
Australia offers numerous job opportunities and provides a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), allowing international students to remain in the country. Any student holding Subclass 485 can work in Australia for up to 18 months or between 24 to 28 months, depending upon the qualification.
Read More: Eligibility Criteria for Masters (MS) in Australia
Best Cities to Study in Australia
The best cities in Australia to study are ranked based on several factors. University rankings, student mix, popularity, employer activity, affordability, and student perspective are six important factors that define the quality of life of international students in any country. Some of the top cities to study in Australia are mentioned below, based on the criteria discussed above:
Melbourne’s spirit is defined by its ideal geographic location, music, cultural mix, and sports. The climate is temperate, and the seasons are well-balanced, making it a popular destination for Indian students in Australia. With a high level of employer activity, the standard of living is second to none. Melbourne is expensive for international students, but it is worth every penny.
Sydney is Australia’s financial capital and home to millions of international students. Sydney is the second-best city in Australia, with a high level of employer activity, cultural diversity, and student mix. Sydney’s internationally renowned universities are another element that draws students from all over the world. The expenses are a little over affordable, but part-time jobs are easy to find and manage.
Canberra is home to Australia’s largest international student population. The city of Canberra has the highest desirability score, and international students are drawn to its natural and man-made wonders. In comparison, the cost of living in the town is much less and is affordable.
The city offers some of the top adventure activities and welcoming neighborhoods that appeal to both students and tourists. Brisbane is the best city in Australia to learn and leisure because of its geographic location, friendliness, and cultural mix. The city features reasonably priced housing and affordable living costs for overseas students.
Perth is one of Australia’s best cities since it is less crowded and has a serene vibe. Perth stands apart from the rest of Australian cities due to its geographic location, cool climate, accessible transportation networks, and breathtaking views. Because the temperature is mild and the population of Perth is small, part-time jobs are less competitive.
Read More: How to settle in Australia from India?
Various Fields of Study
In Australia, the courses are categorized by ‘field of study’ or ‘field of education’. Australian universities use this classification system to describe the different courses, units, and specializations. Currently, there are 12 fields of study:
- Creative Arts
- Mixed field programs
- Natural and Physical Sciences
- Architecture and Building
- Engineering and Related Technologies
- Society and Culture
- Agriculture, Environmental, and Related Studies
- Management and Commerce
- Information Technology
- Food, Hospitality, and Personal Services
Under these fields of study, there are numerous courses that students can choose from.
Best Courses Offered
In Australia, 22,000+ courses are offered for students to choose from. All these courses are structured as per the industry requirements. There are bachelor’s courses and shorter courses that include foundation degrees and diploma courses. In 2021, more than five Australian universities were ranked among the top 50 as per the QS Top University Rankings by subject in various streams.
Here are some of the courses that attract international students from across the world:
- Core Engineering
- Hospitality Management
- Agricultural Science
- Data Science
- Business Management
- English Courses
- Foundational Courses
- Vocational Courses
- Information Technology, and more
Recommended Read: Study in Australia After 12th & Graduations | MS in Computer Science in Australia
Best Universities in Australia with University Rankings
There are 37 best universities in Australia as per the Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings 2022 and six of them are in the top 100. The education sector in Australia comprises world-leading educational institutions, the best training academies, and excellent student services.
|University||QS WUR 2022||Score||International Student Ratio|
|The Australian National University||=27||85||98.8|
|The University of Melbourne||37||81.4||99.9|
|The University of Sydney||38||80.4||100|
|The University of New South Wales||43||77.7||99.8|
|The University of Queensland||47||76.6||100|
|The University of Western Australia||93||62.5||99.9|
Source: QS World University Rankings 2022
THE Rankings 2022
|University||THE 2022||International students|
|University of Melbourne||33||55%|
|Australian National University||=54||47%|
|The University of Queensland||=54||41%|
|University of Sydney||=58||47%|
Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
As mentioned above, students get to choose from more than 20,000 programs. Here is an estimate of tuition fees that the students need to understand and the average amount that is required to be paid for the undergraduate, graduate, vocational, foundation, and doctoral degree programs.
|Courses||Cost of Study|
|Vocational Education and Training||AUD 4,000 to AUD 22,000 per year|
|Foundation Courses||AUD 15,000 to AUD 39,000 per year|
|Undergraduate Course||AUD 15,000 to AUD 33,000 per year|
|Postgraduate Course||AUD 20,000 to AUD 37,000 per year|
|Doctoral||AUD 14,000 to AUD 37,000 per year|
|Technical and Further Education||AUD 4,000 to AUD 22,000 per year|
Source- Studies in Australia
|Study in Australia – Important Read|
|Australia Awards Scholarship||University of Melbourne Acceptance Rate|
|Asean Partner Scholarship||Australian National University Acceptance Rate|
Admission Eligibility Requirements in Australia
For diploma courses, applicants are required to have a minimum 60% score in their class 12th. Whereas for Bachelor’s degree, applicants must have 65% and above in class 12th.
If a student is applying for a master’s degree, here are the criteria one has to meet:
- Like in India, most Australian universities consider the three-year graduation format (B.A., B.Com. and B.Sc.) for admission in postgraduate courses. Some colleges/universities may require an honours degree or a four-year graduation degree. Applicants need to submit their documents accordingly.
- Maximum Australian universities accept degrees from leading Indian colleges/universities or equivalent. Ensure that your college is registered and is accepted in Australia.
While filling the admission form, students will have to submit the educational documents to prove their eligibility. They will have to submit a transcript signed officially by the university they have studied at previously. Here are the educational documents required:
- Marksheet of class 10th
- Marksheet of class 12th
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
A point to note is the documents are not in the English language; then the students will have to get official transcripts from a certified agency or government.
English Language Proficiency Exam for Admission
International students seeking admission to Australian universities will have to provide English language proficiency scores by appearing for an exam such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, or CAE. This is also required while applying for a scholarship. Maximum universities in Australia accept IELTS scores of 6.5 or above.
Here is a minimum requirement of the scores needed in different exams
|IELTS||6.5 or above|
|TOEFL||90 or above|
|PTE||72 or above|
|CAE||60 or above.|
However, universities such as the University of Adelaide, Macquarie University, Bond University allow students to study in Australia without IELTS or TOEFL.
Exams to Study UG Programs in Australia
For the students who wish to study medicine in Australia, they will have to appear for the Undergraduate Medical Admission Test (UMAT) or International Student Admission test. Likewise, there are different tests for different courses.
|UMAT||UG medicine and health science||80 percentile or above|
|ISAT||Medicine, language pathology, occupational therapy and speech||60 or above|
|LSAT||Law school||75 percentile and above|
|SAT||Undergraduate course||1200 or above|
|ACT||SAT alternative for undergraduate course||28 or above|
|GMAT||Postgraduate course||700 or above|
|MCAT||Graduate entry medical program||Overall 500 with no less than 124 in each section|
If learners wish to inquire about admission forms, the inquiries are sent 12-14 months before the commencement of admissions. Here’s how they can do it:
- Website – Maximum universities have forms on their website; the students can easily download the ready-to-print forms and send them across.
- Get in touch with university representatives – There are various representatives or admission officers in India who can help learners with the entire admission process.
Requirements for Applications
Here’s the list of documents required to send along with the application:
- Transcripts of secondary and higher education certificates are required by the university for the particular course.
- English language proficiency score
- Work experience certificate, if required
- Statement of purpose
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Updated resume
- Scholarship certificate, if you have got any
- Published research papers
- Proof of finances
- Other documents, if asked
Students should refer to the university website or admission counsellor to check which documents are required for submitting an application successfully.
Australia Study Visa Requirements
The student visa depends upon the course of choice. Students will have to meet such requirements
1) Health and fitness requirements
2) Proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
3) Scores of English language proficiency test
4) Fulfilling the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.
5) Proof of receipts like course fees, airfares, and living costs
6) Certificate of electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
Related Reads: Australian Visa Subclass 190 | Australian Visa Subclass 189 | Student visa for Australia
How to Apply to an Australian University?
Admission procedures are a tedious process; especially, when applying in another country. The step-by-step instructions about how to apply for an Australian university is as follows:
- The students have to ensure that they meet all the requirements set by the university.
- There are three different ways. Students can either apply directly, through any of the local universities or via an agent.
- Applying for an English language proficiency exam.
- Sending applications to the university. However, students are advised to apply to more than one university. It increases their chance to secure a seat at least in one university.
- Students should apply for their visas after receiving an acceptance letter from the university.
Timeline for Admission to Australian Universities
There are three intakes for admission in Australia. The majority of the institutions have two major intakes, but there are few with three different cycles.
- Trimester/Semester 1 – Late February or early March to late May or early June
- Trimester/Semester 2- Late July or early August
- Trimester/Semester 3 – September to late November
|Semester intake||Deadline for application|
Though each university has its own admission cycle, here is a general idea for students to understand how it works:
|April to May of previous year||Research about the universities|
|May||Apply for standardized tests and score the required marks|
|August to September||Apply for admission|
|October to December||Admissions are closed|
|December to January||Universities offer updates on admission status|
|December||If accepted, students should formulate all the finances and apply for scholarships or a loan|
|December to January again||Applying for a student visa|
|January||Start preparing for the departure|
|February to rest||Sessions commence|
How to Apply For Study Visa in Australia?
Below are the steps for applying for a study visa in Australia:
Register and apply to an educational institution in Australia
- Receive an unconditional offer letter
- Accept the letter & pay the tuition costs in order to acquire OSHC
- Receive eCOE (electronic Confirmation of Enrolment) letter
All the required documents must be collected
- Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Other documents (consult the visa staff handling your application)
Fill out an application for a student visa in Australia
- Fill out the online visa application form (Subclass 500 mostly)
- Check that the amount on your credit card is in Australian dollars.
- Applications will not be considered for approval unless the mandatory Australia student visa application fee is paid.
After submitting an application for a student visa in Australia:
- Make an appointment for a medical examination.
- An approved Australian Immigration panel physician (hospital/clinic) must conduct the examination.
- Schedule a biometrics appointment, if required
- Submit any additional documents (as and when needed/asked) through your immigration login account
Visa application results
- If your student visa is approved, the immigration department will send it to you by email or postal address.
- Australian student visas are electronic so you will not get any visa grant stamps on your passport.
Scholarships to Study in Australia
Listed below are a few popular scholarships that Indian students can apply in Australia-
1) Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP)
It is funded by the Australian government and covers students’ tuition fees and health insurance for up to three years. It supports students’ Research for Master’s and Research Doctorate degrees. The value of this scholarship is CAD $28,587 per annum made fortnightly. The upcoming deadline for Round 2 of this scholarship is 15th April 2022.
2) Australia Awards Scholarship
It is funded by the Department of Education, the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT). This scholarship aims to fund the education of students from developing regions and give them the opportunity to pursue their undergraduate/postgraduate programs at the participating universities in Australia and TAFE (Technical and Further Education) institutions. This scholarship includes full tuition fees, airfare, living costs, OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover), and other expenses. The scholarship entails that the scholars return to India once they have completed their studies.
3) Destination Australia Scholarship
It aims to encourage international students to pursue their studies in Australia to develop regionally tertiary education providers and offer students a learning experience. The scholarship amounts to $15,000 yearly to study at the campus from 2021. Funding can be availed for up to four years, depending on the student’s qualification. The Destination Australia scholarship is funded by the Department of education and aligns with the National Strategy for International Education 2025.
4) John Allwright Fellowship (JAF)
It gives scientists from partner countries, who are engaged in research projects at the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), an opportunity to obtain PG qualifications at Australian tertiary institutions. Ph.D. and Master’s scholarships are also provided through the JAF to agricultural researchers annually and are administered through the Australia Award system. Applications for JAF will open in February 2022 for the 2023 intake.
Apart from these four scholarships, many scholarships are provided by most Australian universities and colleges. Students can visit the official website of these universities and get all the information in detail.
Recommended Read: Scholarship for Indian Students in Australia
What do Scholarships for International Students in Australia Usually Cover?
Generally, most scholarships for international students cover the tuition fees required to study in Australia. However, some scholarships also cover living and/or traveling expenses. At times, certain research programs offer students 100% scholarships, covering tuition fees and living expenses. But students must remember that the scholarship amount and the type of reward vary as per their university. Many students apply for scholarships which results in a cut-throat competition. Therefore, they must apply well in advance. They should start the scholarship procedure a year before the preferred intake begins.
How To Get A Scholarship To Study In Australia?
Participate in community life –
While many international student scholarships are offered based on academic merit or financial need, keep in mind that other scholarships are awarded for community service. This can involve volunteering or joining community groups, clubs, or sports teams. Australian universities give students involved in their communities and demonstrating leadership qualities priority, so make sure you highlight any relevant activities in your scholarship application letter. Even if you are looking for academic or financial need scholarships, becoming involved in the community can help you stand out.
Apply for as many scholarships as possible –
In Australia, there are numerous scholarship options, so we urge that you apply for as many as possible. Scholarships may be offered by residential colleges, the Australian Government, international organizations, and government departments in your home country, so don’t limit your search to educational institutions. Scholarships for international students are often awarded by specific faculties (for example, the science department), so be sure to check with yours.
Ask for help with applications –
Your scholarship applications are crucial because they are often the only means of awarding scholarships, so make sure they are clear and error-free. Unfortunately, a little error could cause your application to be rejected. Spelling and grammar errors, a lack of detail, and a poor presentation are all common blunders.
Job Opportunities after Studying in Australia
If students are looking for jobs after studying in Australia, they will need the Subclass 485 Visa. The Australian government offers this visa to international students through which they are allowed to study, live, and work in Australia for up to four years after completing their studies. To apply for a working visa, international students will have to present their scores in standardized exams. As an Indian student who has gained education in Australia, the Subclass 485 visas will allow them to stay in India to gain work experience. Depending on their qualifications, they can work for up to 18, 24, or 48 months.
Moreover, they are also free to choose any type of job and work for as many hours as possible. They must also remember to meet the under 50 age criteria to qualify for the post-study work visa. They must hold a Subclass 500 student for at least six months and have recently qualified in a CRICOS-registered program. They will be required to apply for the same during their stay in Australia.
They must meet the obligatory and regulatory requirements for studying in Australia, including proficiency in English, health insurance, character certification, etc. The requirements for your visa might vary according to the stream you are applying for. The Subclass 485 Visa is issued in two streams: Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream. However, it must be remembered that international students enrolled in an ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) course will not be eligible for a Post-Study Work visa.
A few tips are listed below to help students find jobs in Australia successfully-
- Developing English language skills is essential if they want to get an advantage over other candidates.
- Using various resources at their institute such as the Career and Employment Advising cell, to help find jobs. Students can also approach recruitment agencies or go through the local newspaper’s employment section.
- Approach and consult with friends or acquaintances who are already working.
Recommended Read: What is SkillSelect and how does it work?
Study abroad with upGrad Abroad
upGrad abroad has started uniquely designed programs that enable students to save money on tuition fees, and other expenses. Students enrolling in these programs will be studying a part of their program online and completing the course on-campus.
Benefits of joining upGrad’s program:
- Quality education at lower prices
- Degree from international colleges/universities.
- Helps save 1/5th of the degree cost
- End-to-end assistance for applications and visa
- Assistance with IELTS preparation
Some of the best courses to study in Australia offered by upGrad Abroad:
1) Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
2) Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
More Resources to Read About Australia
Frequently Asked Questions
How much it cost to study in australia from india?
The cost of studying in Australia is determined by the degree and course chosen. If you want to study Vocational Education & Training, expect to pay between AUD 4000 and 20,000. An undergraduate bachelor’s degree will cost between AUD 20,000 and $45,000. A postgraduate master’s degree will set you back between AUD 22,000 and 50,000, while a doctoral degree costs between AUD 18,000 and 42,000.
How to get PR in Australia after study?
Australia requires skilled migrants to contribute to its national economy who have good educational qualifications and potential for employment. The Skilled Migration program in Australia has the highest number of positions, which can be an option for applying for a PR visa.
Which exams are required for studying in Australia?
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), Cambridge (CAE), Pearson (PTE), and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are required exams for studying in Australia.
What are the requirements to study in Australia?
Some of the top requirements to study in Australia are:
1. Admission into diploma-level courses will need applicants to score at least 60% marks in their Class 12 examination.
2. Admission into bachelor’s degrees will require students to score 65% or higher marks in their Class 12 examination.
3. All universities in Australia recognize the 3-year graduation degree for entry into postgraduate programs. For example, Indian degrees like B. Sc, B.A. and B. Com are equivalent to the Australian bachelor’s degree with 12 years of education.
4. Some universities and courses may need qualifications equivalent to Australian Bachelor (Honors) degrees. For instance, degrees like B.A. (H), B. Com (H), B.E., B. Tech and other such 4-year degree courses.
5. A good basic university degree from a top Indian university or college or equivalent is necessary for most Australian universities.