MEd or Master of Education in Canada is a 1–3-year program with various specializations. The course teaches early childhood education, curriculum development, education policy, adult education, psychology, and counseling, among other modules. You have to choose one that fits your aptitude and interests. The degree is available at 190+ institutions in the country.
Leading universities for Master of Education in Canada
There are many top universities offering Master of Education in Canada courses. The course costs roughly CAD 5,000-17,000 per year (approximately INR 2.9 lakh to INR 10 lakh) and students can expect average salaries of CAD 176,000 per year with experience (approximately INR 1.03 crore).
Here’s looking at them:
Name of Institution
QS Global Rank
Cost of Course (approx.)
CAD 22,896 (INR 13.41 lakh)
University of Toronto (UToronto)
Curriculum Studies & Teacher Development + Adult Education and Community Development + Education Leadership and Policy
CAD 15,105 (INR 8.85 lakh)
University of Alberta
Education Policy Studies, Educational Studies and many more
CAD 21,000 (INR 12.30 lakh)
University of British Columbia (UBC)
Adult Learning, Art Education, Curriculum and Leadership and more
CAD 26,166-39,249 (INR 15.32 lakh to INR 23 lakh)
University of Calgary
Adult Learning + Curriculum and Learning among others
CAD 16,162 (INR 9.46 lakh)
Queen’s University at Kingston
Master of Education
CAD 15,882 (INR 9.30 lakh)
Simon Fraser University
Art Education, Counseling Psychology, Curriculum and Instruction
CAD 11,453 (INR 6.70 lakh)
University of Montreal
Adult Education, Education Administration, Teaching Philosophy
CAD 32,744 (INR 19.17 lakh)
University of Ottawa
Counselling Psychology, Curriculum and Policy Studies
CAD 5,110-6,248 (INR 3 lakh to INR 3.65 lakh)
How to apply for Master of Education in Canada
You should choose the universities carefully depending on their admission process and prerequisites; check universities that accept 15 years of education for MS in Canada if that is your criteria or those that take alternative English language proficiency tests for example. You should apply directly via the official websites of Canadian universities. Some institutions in Alberta and Ontario also take applications via the ApplyAlberta and OUAC portals, respectively.
Master of Education in Canada- Eligibility
● Four-year undergraduate course with minimum B grade or 70% average marks.
● GRE scores and LORs (letters of recommendation).
● Experience in teaching or education (this is not compulsory for all institutions).
● TOEFL/IELTS scores.
Start Your Study Abroad Journey Now.
Admission Procedure & Documents Required
The documents required include the following:
● Official academic transcripts and last diploma/degree.
● Updated CV/resume showing education/teaching experience.
● SOP (Statement of Purpose).
The admission procedure is simple. You can directly apply at the websites of universities with all necessary documents. You may also have to appear for personal interviews if needed. After that, the university will send you the official letter of acceptance/confirmation if your application is as successful. You can now start applying for the student visa after paying the admission deposit and confirming your enrollment into the institution.
Recommended Read: The Cheapest City in Canada for International Students
Reasons for studying Master of Education in Canada
There are many reasons to study a Master of Education in Canada:
● Canada is home to a flourishing education sector, with rising demand for qualified and skilled teachers across disciplines.
● Salaries have consistently gone up for teachers in Canada, especially when teachers upgrade to master’s and Phd degrees.
● Teaching jobs pay higher than many other educational jobs in the country.
● Students get globally recognized qualifications from some of the world’s best universities for the subject.
Cost of studying Master of education in Canada
The average Master of Education in Canada fees are usually between CAD 5,000-17,000 per annum or approximately INR 2.9-10 lakh per year. Expect visa application costs of CAD 305 per annum or roughly INR 17,900. You also have to pay CAD 13,000 for health insurance or INR 7.61 lakh. You will also have to shell out approximately CAD 14,000-19,601 per year in living costs, which works out to roughly INR 8.20-11.48 lakh.
Accommodation and food will cost you CAD 10,000-12,000 per annum (roughly INR 5.86-7.02 lakh). At the same time, educational and study materials will cost CAD 1,000-5,000 per year (INR 58,570-2,92,850 approximately), while internet, utilities, clothing and entertainment costs also have to be factored into the mix. This can go up to CAD 7,500-10,500 per year cumulatively (INR 4.40 lakh to INR 6.15 lakh).
English Proficiency Tests for International Students
International students have to provide scores in either TOEFL or IELTS at the time of admission. The minimum recommended TOEFL (iBT) scores are 86-100, while they are 6.5-7.0 for IELTS.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support
There are several scholarships available for M. Ed aspirants in Canada. They include the following:
● Lora Dolores Antoniette Pallotta Memorial Graduate Scholarship- Only for human development and applied psychology department students at the University of Toronto.
● SWAAC (Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada) Graduate Student Award of Merit- Only for women graduate applicants with leadership attributes and academic merit.
● IDRC (International Development Research Centre) Research Awards- Only for students from developing nations, enrolled on masters or doctoral courses in Canada. They get 1-year paid research programs courtesy of IDRC.
● Affiliated Fellowships Master’s Program- Given by faculty of postdoctoral and graduate studies to 50+ UBC students.
● DFWs (Differential Fee Waivers) – Given by Government organisations, including Quebec authorities.
● IDB-McGill Scholarship- Students from Islamic Development Bank member nations are eligible.
● Canada Graduate Scholarships- Given by NSERC, CIHR, and SSHRC for those with GPA of 3.5 or higher.
● Faculty of Education Graduate Scholarship- Given by Simon Fraser University’s Education Faculty for graduate students.
● Graduate Award Competition- Only for graduate students at the University of Calgary.
● Admission Scholarship at the University of Ottawa for masters or doctoral students.
● Ontario Graduate Scholarship on a merit basis.
Job opportunities after Master in Education
Those looking to study abroad and pursue careers as teachers or in the education sector can expect average salaries up to CAD 176,000 (roughly INR 1.03 crore) per annum. The highest salaries (up to CAD 194,000 per annum or INR 1.13 crore) are given in the province of Quebec. The job opportunities include teaching in various fields and finding work as curriculum developers, corporate developers/trainers, educational content specialists, childcare directors, educational policy developers, educational consultants, and media and technology specialists.
Scope of Master of Education in Canada
Master of Education students in Canada have a great scope of future research and academic progress. They can choose from doctoral programs and research options in their selected areas or take up employment as teachers. Average salaries for teachers are high in Canada, while various opportunities are available in educational policy creation, consulting, development, research, and many other sectors.
Q1. What can you do with master’s in education in Canada?
A. A master’s in education is the gateway towards a lucrative teaching job in Canada. Candidates can take up employment as teachers and even pursue doctoral programs for further specialization. They can also find work in the educational sector as consultants, educational policy developers, trainers, etc. They will find job roles in the public and the private/corporate sector.
Q2. How many years of education for masters in Canada?
A. For doing a master’s course in Canada, any applicant should plan for 1-2 years on average. There could also be extra internships and allied programs at times. Master’s courses usually span two years in the country, although some degrees cover only a year, depending upon the curricula and specialization.
Q3. Which course is best to become a teacher in Canada?
A. A bachelor’s in Education or BEd is ideal for a teaching career in Canada for obvious reasons. It is one of the mandatory requirements, and candidates can follow this up with an MEd course and even further doctoral programs. They will also need a provincial certificate for becoming teachers.
Q4. Is education a good degree in Canada?
A. Yes, education is a good degree to pursue in Canada. You can study at the world’s highest-ranked universities in this field while gaining exposure to excellent teaching opportunities and jobs in related educational areas. You can expect rewarding salaries after completing your MEd in Canada too. Canada is also home to one of the world’s most acclaimed educational systems. A US News report gave it the third rank as the best country for education in 2020 (globally).
Know More About Canada: