According to the QS World University Rankings of 2018, seven of the world’s top 150 universities are based in Canada. The high standard of living, safety, quality education, multicultural exposure, and friendly post-graduation work permits make Canada a favorite among international students. The scope and opportunities for an MBA graduate are immense here as the top multinationals are eager to hire fresh international graduates with good management and leadership skills. Now that the stage has been set and we already know why studying MBA in Canada is a great option, let us understand what the eligibility for MBA in Canada is.
Admission to any of the top B-schools can be a daunting task if requirements for MBA in Canada are not known. It needs a lot of planning from the student’s side to ascertain how to prepare for the eligibility tests and how to meet the various general eligibility criteria as set by different Canadian universities.
Read More: Study in Canada Without IELTS
General eligibility criteria
An MBA is a big investment, both in terms of finances and time, for a bright future. Start your journey right with a curated guide to meet the eligibility for an MBA in Canada for Indian students and other international aspirants. Every university or college has one thing in common with regards to the admission process, and that is the general eligibility criteria for seeking admission to an MBA degree in Canada. Here are the general eligibility requirements for MBA in Canada:
1. International students need to have a full-time bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from a recognized university or college. There is no hard and fast rule regarding the stream.
2. An MBA is a professional program that imparts experiential and practical learning to students. Therefore, international students with work experience are preferred. It gives them an extra edge and sets them apart from students without any work or industrial exposure. It is a known fact that students with prior work experience are preferred. The work experience should be relevant to the specialization of the MBA degree.
3. A good GMAT score is an important criterion that international students need to fulfill. It is an eligibility criterion set by the top-ranked Canadian universities.
4. To get admission to any reputed B-school or university, students need to appear for English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. A good score will help students get admission to reputed and leading business schools.
Eligibility for MBA in Canada–List of important documents
The application process for an MBA in Canada is time-consuming, so students must make sure that they start the process at least 15 to 18 months before the beginning of their target session. He/she must be aware of all the requirements for MBA in Canada for international students. The application forms for different B-schools are available on the official university websites. Along with the application form, students need to attach all the original copies of documents as required by the university/college for admission.
Read More: How to settle in Canada from India?
Documents required for the application process
1. All academic records and transcripts (It will include all the documents related to educational qualifications, certificates, and degrees.)
2. Statement of Purpose (It is an important requirement, and it will help the officials to understand the applicant’s background)
3. Work experience proof (if any)
4. Letter of recommendation (At least two past or present supervisors, managers, or any professional with whom the students have worked closely)
5. MBA Essays (if asked)
6. Updated CV/Resume
7. Scorecard of proficiency exams (Attach the test scores of IELTS or TOEFL)
8. Bank statement (It should be from the last 6 months. It is asked to understand the availability of funds for education)
11. Study permit
What is PGWP (Post-graduation work permit) in Canada?
MBA graduates in Canada after receiving final marks in their degree programs have 180 days to apply for a post-graduation work permit. International students need to have an MBA degree from a recognized college or university under the government of Canada to apply for the same. Students can be eligible if their study permit or visa is valid at some point during the 180 days period after the results are declared. Students pursuing an MBA degree of at least 8 months and a maximum of 3 years are eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
International students with a visitor card or a student visa can apply for a PGWP after completion of their MBA degree from any recognized Designated Learning Institute (DLI). With a PGWP, an international student can work as a permanent employee for any employer in Canada. The work permit after completion of a degree is one of the reasons why students from across the globe visit Canada for an MBA degree. The scope of work opportunities and global exposure is vast with a PGWP.
An opportunity to apply for permanent residency in Canada is also possible for international students who have completed an MBA degree through the Express Entry Program. For more details regarding permanent residency eligibility, students can consult the counselors of upGrad Abroad.
Different types of MBA in Canada and their durations
An MBA program from Canada prepares a student to enter the job market as a leader. The duration of a full-time MBA program is 2 years and it is an offline mode of study. It can be pursued by students who have a recognized graduation degree from any authorized university.
The part-time MBA degree in Canada is of at least 8 months and can go up to 2 years. The duration of the course varies for different B-schools. This can be pursued by international students who are doing an MBA along with part-time or full-time jobs.
Designed for executives and those with a managerial level of experience, the duration ranges from 13 months to 24 months for this type of course. This program helps professionals brush up on their managerial skills.
Must-Read Resources About Canada:
Exams required for MBA in Canada
There are few compulsory examinations that form a significant part of the eligibility criteria. To study in Canada, the most important exams are TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, GRE, and PTE.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities. It tests proficiency by measuring the level of English in all aspects, such as writing, speaking, reading, and listening. It is one of the most popular and preferred language tests accepted by reputed colleges and universities in Canada.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a globally accepted English language proficiency test. It has two types: academic and general. All four aspects of the English language, such as writing, speaking, reading, and listening, are tested for non-native English speakers.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is an examination to test analytical, writing, quantitative, verbal, and reading skills in written English for admission to a graduate management program, such as an MBA program. A GMAT score is an important eligibility requirement that should be met by every international student aspiring to study an MBA in Canada.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills for higher education degrees and courses.
For international students, Canada offers a promising education system that allows them to work and settle there. This opportunity, with some of the global brands and multinationals, attracts several MBA aspirants from all over the world.