How to study in Universities in Canada without IELTS test?

universities in canada without IELTS

Most English-speaking Canadian institutions need IELTS scores for admission into their academic programs. Do you want to study in the best universities in Canada without  IELTS? 

Yes, it is possible to get admitted to universities in Canada without  IELTS scores. We will guide you through the whole process of studying in Canada without IELTS. But before that, let us understand the causes for being unable to clear IELTS.

One of the main reasons for not taking or failing the IELTS test is that students have a limited understanding of the requirements of the test. Or, they didn’t prepare well. Hence, they did not get the desired score and decided  not to appear again.

Many students also find the IELTS test to be tough or too challenging. However, the most common reason for not taking the test is the high amount of fees for taking the test.

Read More: Know more about the IELTS test format

What is the IELTS test?

IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. Non-English speakers willing to study or work in English-speaking countries need to take the IELTS test to prove their proficiency in the English language. It is accepted by more than 10,000 institutions in over 140 countries.

How to get admission to universities that do not require IELTS in Canada?

Many Canadian institutions accept international students in their courses without requiring IELTS scores. Universities accept many other test scores apart from running their own English learning programs.

Following are the ways by which students can take admission into Canadian universities without IELTS:

1. By submitting the proof of English medium education for at least 5 years

2. By submitting the proof that you belong to an English speaking country

3. By registering in the English language course offered by a Canadian university

4. By submitting the scores of alternative English proficiency tests

Read More: IELTS vs TOEFL: Which one to choose?

Alternative English proficiency test

In case, you do not want to take IELTS tests, there are other English proficiency tests accepted by Canadian universities. They are:

1. Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL)

2. Pearson Tests of English (PTE)

3. Duolingo

4. Canadian Academic English Language Assessment – CAEL, CAEL-CE, CAEL online

5. Cambridge Assessment English (C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency)

6. CanTest by University of Ottawa

7. Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)

8. Academic English Program for University and College Entry (AEPUCE)

Important Resources About Canada:

Here is the list of universities that do not require IELTS in Canada

1. The University of Saskatchewan

This is a public university that welcomes students from all over the world every year. IELTS test is not mandatory for taking admission into its programs. But you need to prove your English language skills by submitting the following documents:

a) Certificates of Higher Secondary education and higher education studies

b) Completion of standardized tests like TOEFL iBT, CanTEST, CAEL, MELAB, PTE Academic, CAE and Duolingo English Test

c) Completion of an approved English Language Proficiency (ELP) program by University of Saskatchewan Language Centre and University of Regina

d) General Certificate of Education of A/AS/AICE Level English

e) Completion of one of the following qualifications:

-Advanced Placement (AP) English

-International Baccalaureate (IB) English A1 or A2 Higher Level

-International Baccalaureate (IB) English B Higher Level

-GCSE/IGCSE/GCE O-Level English, English Language, or English as a Second

2. University of Winnipeg

The University of Winnipeg does not specifically require the IELTS score. This university accepts a host of other English proficiency tests apart from IELTS. However, it is compulsory to produce proof of your proficiency in the English language.

Here are some of the alternatives:

a) Duolingo English Test

b) Cambridge Assessment English: C1 Advanced

c) Cambridge Assessment English: C2 Proficiency

d) CanTest

e) Canadian Academic English Language Assessment

f) Pearson Test of English (Academic)

g) Academic English Program for University and College Entrance

h) English Language Program at The University of Winnipeg

i) English Language Program – Part-time Evening Program at The University of Winnipeg

3. Brock University

This is another prominent public university in Canada that allows students to study without an IELTS score. Students who do not want to take the IELTS test can enroll in their Intensive English Language Program (IELP). This university also accepts the scores of CAEL Assessment, CAE (A1 Advanced), CPE (C2 Proficiency), Duolingo, TOEFL, and PTE.

4. University of Regina

The university is located in the capital city of Saskatchewan, Canada. Apart from IELTS, it accepts the scores of many different tests like CAEL, TOEFL iBT, PTE, CanTEST, MELAB, TOEFL, UofR ESL, and Duolingo. You can also take the ESL Test at the university, but you must complete ESL 050 to qualify.

Read More: Ways to study in Canada for free

5. Cambrian College

Cambrian College accepts a bunch of other English proficiency tests apart from IELTS like TOEFL, PTE and Duolingo. Students can also enroll in the English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP) which takes between 4 – 10 months depending on the level of their expertise. They will be accepted into the Diploma or certificate programs on completion of the EAPP.

6. Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador

This is one of the largest universities in Canada, that offers more than 300 courses. This university offers a vast range of courses in different fields like economics, computer science, international business, engineering, etc. It has a large community of 18,000 plus scholars from different parts of the world. It has 4 main and 2 satellite campuses. It also accepts a host of other tests apart from IELTS like  TOEFL and CAEL. Applicants who do not meet the minimum scores in the proficiency tests can enroll in an Intensive English Program at the university’s St. John’s or Grenfell campuses. Candidates who have successfully completed an e-proctored English test or an interview will also be accepted. 

We are happy to answer your queries related to studying abroad at Canadian universities. You can contact us by leaving your questions in the comments section below.

More Resources About Canada:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like