Thinking of doing your master’s in physiotherapy in Canada? You will be surprised to know that Canada is one of the top global destinations for the course. A physiotherapy master’s in Canada will give you great global exposure and access to quality infrastructure for learning.
Why study a master’s in physiotherapy in Canada?
There are many reasons why a master’s in physiotherapy in Canada for Indian students is valuable. They include:
● Masters of physiotherapy in Canada will equip you with the knowledge and skills required to succeed as a healthcare and wellness professional in the country.
● There are comparatively less stringent requirements for a master’s in physiotherapy in Canada than in many other countries.
● Canada offers a booming market for physiotherapists, backed by the rise of healthcare and therapy centers and demand across educational institutions.
● Physiotherapists can also set up their practice in Canada after obtaining the necessary licenses and qualifications.
Best universities for physiotherapy masters in Canada:
Here are the top institutions where you can comfortably study overseas in Canada:
● The University of British Columbia- The course name is Master of Physical Therapy with a full-time tenure of 26 months.
● Dalhousie University- Physiotherapy MSc degree
● The University of Waterloo– Kinesiology program for 18 months on campus (full-time).
● University of Alberta- MSc in Physiology for two years.
● University of Alberta- MSc in Physical Therapy or MScPT for 30 months.
● University of Manitoba- Master’s in physical therapy (Full-time) for two years.
● Course Name- Masters in Physiotherapy
● Nomenclature- M. Sc or Master in Physiotherapy (MPT)
● Average fees- INR 20-25 lakhs per year.
● Duration- 12 to 30 months
Recommend read about Canada
Cost of studying MS in physiotherapy in Canada:
In Canada, the average master’s in physiotherapy fees stand at roughly INR 20-23 lakhs per year. You can also expect upwards of INR 8-9 lakhs in terms of meals, accommodation, and other costs. Expect extra costs of INR 12-13,000 for insurance and roughly INR 30,000 for transportation per year. Accounting for books, miscellaneous expenditure, supplementary and student charges, etc., contribute another INR 1-2 lakhs to the tally. Expect an average sum of INR 11 lakhs per year in living costs.
Here are the general eligibility criteria:
● Undergraduate degree with 60-70% marks.
● Applicants should ideally have bachelor’s degrees in medicine, engineering, or related fields.
● IELTS/PTE/TOEFL scores.
You can directly apply at universities’ websites after checking their eligibility criteria. You can submit your documents online, including your score sheets in standardized examinations, academic transcripts and mark sheets, passport and other identity documents, LORs, SOPs (statements of purpose), etc. The university will respond after processing your application, and you may have to clear a personal interview.
Job prospects after doing MS in physiotherapy in Canada:
There are excellent job prospects for skilled graduates after completing their master’s in physiotherapy in Canada. Some of the top physiotherapy jobs in Canada for Indian students include physical therapists, physiotherapists, health and wellness specialists, professors, associate professors, rehabilitation services professionals and directors, and more. Major employers include community healthcare centers, hospitals, healthcare facilities, wellness facilities, and sports centers and facilities.
The application procedure for the student visa needs you to provide the following documents:
● Letter of acceptance from the institution.
● Identity proof with photographs and passport (that is valid).
● Proof of funds.
● CAQ (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec) if you are applying to an institution in the Quebec province.
● Letter of Explanation about your future goals and reasons for arriving in Canada.
You can apply offline or online with these documents while paying the application fees of CAD 150 or INR 9,000. You will have to pay a small amount as biometric fees during the application process. Those from India can enjoy a faster visa procedure known as SDS (Student Direct Stream). You will then have to go through the visa interview.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support
Q. How long are master’s in physiotherapy in Canada?
A. The master’s course in physiotherapy in Canada usually spans around two years. Those applying should have finished their bachelor’s degrees in a related subject while being proficient in the English language.
Q. Can I do MPT in Canada after BPT in India?
A. Yes, you can do your MPT in Canada after completing BPT in India. However, you cannot practice in Canada with proper registration/licensing. Registered professionals can only use the PT designation. To get this license, you must get your MPT degree in Canada.
Q. Is the Indian BPT degree valid in Canada?
A. No, the Indian BPT degree does not have validity in Canada if you want to practice there. So, choose your options carefully. An MPT program in Canada is a prerequisite for obtaining a license to practice as a physiotherapist.
Q. Should one apply for MPT in Canada?
A. If you wish to work in the country, you must apply for MPT in Canada. The Indian MPT degree is not accepted in the country. The educational requirements for any physiotherapist in the country include an MS degree in physiotherapy from a recognized institution.
Q. Is MSc in Physiotherapy from Canada and MPT in physiotherapy from India the same?
A. Canada offers MS in Health and Fitness and Kinesiology. Admission requirements are quite stringent in this case. MSc in Physiotherapy and MPT are almost similar. However, the course duration will stand at two years (24 months) to be recognized under the guidelines of the UGC. You can always opt for a healthcare diploma in Canada before applying for PTA (physical therapy assistant) licenses.
Q. As an Indian physiotherapist, how do you earn in Canada?
A. Indian physiotherapists can expect earnings of roughly INR 1,875 for every 15 minutes with experience, licensing, and qualifications. A full treatment hour may cost anything around INR 7,000-9,400. You have to do your master’s course in Canada to work as a physiotherapist while successfully obtaining the requisite licensing. Apply to your preferred territory or region for your license.
Q. Is physiotherapy a good career in Canada?A. Physiotherapy is one of the best careers in Canada, offering attractive remuneration to skilled graduates. Candidates can study at leading institutions in the country before working in job roles like a physical therapist, physical therapy supervisor, physiotherapist, wellness and health specialist, associate professor or professor, rehabilitation services director, etc.