A Master’s in Management (MiM) in the USA is a popular choice for many domestic and international students. Why is this so? An MS in management in the USA prepares students to take up positions as business managers in various sectors. MiM degrees are more suited for those without professional experience and looking for a foothold in the world of management.
Why choose the USA? For starters, the country has one of the biggest economies, English is the primary teaching language, and it offers a multicultural environment for learners. Studying MiM in the USA is your chance to have a fulfilling career, as you will learn here.
Read More: What Exams Are Required to Study in the USA
Master’s in management in the USA- Why Study Here?
Doing MiM (Master’s in Management) in the USA comes with its own set of benefits. Here’s taking a look at the same:
- As leading master’s in management in the USA rankings will tell you, the country houses some of the world’s best institutions in this field. Universities in the USA offer globally recognized MiM degrees along with invaluable theoretical and practical learning for aspirants.
- Applicants need not have work experience to get into MiM courses, unlike mainstream MBA programs. They can build thriving management careers as freshers.
- The USA is witnessing huge demand for management-linked jobs across multiple business sectors. The job volume is expected to increase exponentially over the next seven-eight years.
- Management professionals earn attractive salaries in the USA, with the average figure of somewhere around $105,660 or INR 78.39 lakhs.
Read More: What is the acceptable study gap in the USA?
MS in Management in the USA- Top Universities:
Here are the top universities for MiM courses:
|Name of Institution||Course Name & Tenure||Total Course Fees|
|Stanford University||MS in Management Science and Engineering (18 months)||USD 95,570 or INR 71.22 lakhs (yearly)|
|California State University-Los Angeles||MSc in Business Administration (24 months)||USD 28,000 or INR 20.77 lakh|
|Northwestern University- Kellogg School of Management||MS in Management Studies (10 months)||USD 60,240 or INR 44.89 lakhs|
|Boston University- Questrom School of Business||MS in Management Studies (nine months)||USD 58,560 or INR 43.59 lakhs|
|Yale University- Yale School of Management||Master of Advanced Management (12 months)||$76,770 or INR 57.14 lakhs|
|MIT Sloan School of Management||MS in Management Studies (nine months)||USD 78,954 or INR 58.83 lakhs|
|University of Michigan, Ann Arbor- Ross School of Business||Master of Management (ten months)||USD 54,985 or INR 40.92 lakhs|
|Duke University- Fuqua School of Business||Master of Management Studies (ten months)||USD 57,500 or INR 42.82 lakhs|
|Columbia University- Columbia Business School||MS in Management Science and Engineering (12 months)||USD 79,056 or INR 58.94 lakhs|
|New York University (NYU)- Stern School of Business||MS in Quantitative Management (1.7 years)||USD 76,780 or INR 57.23 lakhs (yearly)|
Studying MiM in the USA- Expected Costs:
International students should carefully assess the costs given below:
- $160 or INR 11,913 in student visa charges.
- INR 14,700 in IELTS costs.
- $213 or INR 15,785 in GRE charges.
- $185 or INR 13,774 in TOEFL costs.
- $250 or INR 18,614 in GMAT charges.
- $56,800-150,000 or INR 42.14 lakhs to INR 1.13 crores in tuition fees (average).
- $1,500-3,200 or INR 1.11 lakhs to INR 2.37 lakhs for accommodation (every month).
- $450-500 or INR 33,386 to INR 37,096 in monthly food bills.
- $500-1,000 or INR 37,096 to INR 74,191 in miscellaneous expenses (per month).
- $36-127 or INR 2,671 to INR 9,422 in transportation costs (monthly pass).
Important Resources to Read About USA:
Admission Requirements for master’s in management in the USA:
Here’s are the requirements for MiM courses in the USA:
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 on a scale of four points. It equates to 83-86% marks on average.
- Proof of English Proficiency with IELTS or TOEFL scores.
- GMAT or GRE scores. There are some institutions where you can apply for a master’s in management in the USA without GMAT. The minimum scores needed by leading institutions vary between 675 and 790 for GMAT and 300-320 for GRE.
Here are the documents that you need for completing the admission procedure:
- LORs (Letters of Recommendation)- Every institution will ask for at least two or three letters of recommendation for aspirants. The hard copies should be dispatched to all the universities where you are applying for MiM courses.
- CV or Resume- You have to send an extensive resume containing all your academic credentials, professional experience, details of internships, extra-curricular activities, and volunteering.
- Academic Transcripts- Candidates have to send their official mark sheets and academic transcripts with proper attestation, as the university recommends. Pass certificates of Classes 10 and 12, along with undergraduate degrees, are necessary.
- Scores in standardized examinations- You have to send score sheets of examinations like the GMAT or GRE that you have taken for studying in the USA.
- Scores of English language proficiency tests- You also have to dispatch your scores in TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum IELTS scores for international students can vary between 7.0 and 7.5. Those taking TOEFL (iBT) should ideally score between 80 and 100.
- SOP (Statement of Purpose) – Be careful while writing your SOP. It should clearly explain why you selected this particular course and institution, along with your future goals.
Once you have applied directly at the university website with all supporting documents, the admissions committee will examine your application. Results will be released, and if you get your acceptance letter, you can start the visa formalities.
Read More: A guide on IELTS Score to study in the USA
Scope after completing MiM in the USA:
Master’s in Management is highly popular amongst international students for a variety of reasons. Firstly, they do not require work experience to enter the field, unlike a traditional MBA. Secondly, there are sufficient employment opportunities present in the USA as well. Average salaries may hover around $76,000 for MiM degree holders or INR 56.43 lakhs per year.
Candidates are hired not just by corporations but also by the federal government and Army institutions. Available job roles include human resource manager, operations manager, project manager, executive director, director of operations and human resource director, to name a few. Salaries may even go up to $96,000 or INR 71.29 lakhs for senior positions.
Student Visa Procedure:
The USA offers various types of visas for international students. F-1 visas are the most common for international students. The study visas are issued after submitting these documents:
- Acceptance letter from the university and all academic transcripts.
- Provisional, migration, birth and character certificates of applicants.
- Letter of sponsorships and sponsor’s relationship certificate.
- Original I-20 that is approved and signed by the candidate and relevant authority at the university.
- Bank statements and transaction list of the last six months as proof of funds.
- The SEVIS charge has to be paid before candidates attend their visa interviews.
Candidates get invitations for their visa interviews, and student visas are issued once they successfully clear the same.
More Resources to Read About USA:
Scholarships for Studying MiM in the USA:
There are many scholarships that aspirants can check out. If you are eligible, a scholarship will lighten your financial load considerably. Here are some of them:
|Institution||Name of Scholarship||Scholarship Amount|
|Fuqua School of Business||Fuqua Merit Scholarships||A waiver on tuition costs|
|Sloan School of Management||Research Assistantship||$33,924 or INR 25.19 lakhs annually|
|Columbia Business School||Laidlaw Foundation Scholarship||$7,500-30,000 or INR 5.57-22.28 lakhs|
|Stanford University||The Aga Khan Foundation||50% discounts on tuition costs|
|Anderson School of Management||Education Future International Scholarship||$3,000-14,000 or INR 2.23-10.40 lakhs|
|Ross School of Business||Ross MM Scholarship||May Vary|
Is MiM Recognized in the USA?
MIM (Master’s in Management) is recognized as a valid course in the USA. Several universities in the country, including MIT, the University of Southern California and the California State University, have dedicated MiM programs for applicants. These courses help aspirants get a head start in the management sector without possessing work experience. MiM courses offer invaluable practical and theoretical learning for candidates. This course certainly has recognition in the USA.
Is GMAT Required for a Master’s in Management in the USA?
MiM programs at many universities may require students to submit scores in GRE or GMAT. However, it is not compulsory; many institutions and business schools may still take applicants without GMAT scores. However, there will be some other admission requirements that you will have to fulfil. A Master’s in management is not the same as an MBA, although many institutions still ask for GMAT or GRE scores. You should make a list of universities that do not insist on GMAT scores (if you have not taken GMAT) and apply accordingly.