Millions of people flock to Canada to meet friends and family, experience beauty, study, and more every year. Every country follows a security protocol to ensure the safety of its citizens, and Canada is not an exception. Canada offers visitors visas or temporary resident visas valid for six months to 10 years to keep track of visitors. Visitor’s Visa or temporary resident visa is the official permission that allows a foreign national to enter Canada legally and stay there for a specific time without any hassles. In some cases, a visitor visa is necessary if you are transiting through Canada via bus, airways, train, cruise, or boat.
There are two different categories of visitor visa-
1. Single entry- the single-entry visa is granted for six months only. The visitor will have to return before the Visa expires.
2. Multiple entries- the multiple entry visa is granted for ten years or a month before the expiration date mentioned on the passport.
If an applicant wants to study or work in Canada, he/she will have to obtain a work permit or study permit. Please note that the applicant needs to get travel insurance as it will protect from any unpredicted adversaries during the visit.
Read More: Vancouver vs Toronto – Which is worth living
Types of Canadian Visitor Visa
There are mainly two types of Canadian Visa-
1. Tourist visa- allows foreign nationals to spend vacations and indulge in leisure activities via visiting family and friends or any social function.
2. Business visa- allows foreign nations to indulge in business via attending meetings, conferences, and more.
Eligibility criteria for Visitor Visa
While traveling to Canada for a business trip, medical treatment, or even a short course, you’ll need a visitor visa. To obtain the visa easily without any hassles, you’ll have to meet these requirements-
1. You must have a passport
2. Must have a valid health certificate
3. Zero criminal records and intentions to comply with country laws
4. Documents to prove your ties in your homeland, i.e., family members, job, and home
5. Intention to leave at the end of visitor visa permit
6. Financial proof to show you have enough money to support yourself in Canada
7. May also require an invitation from relatives staying in Canada
8. Must have no intention to seek a job
9. May need to produce more documents based on profile
Read More: Get Canada PR from India
Documents required availing Canadian Visitor Visa
Please note that each case is different depending on the situation; however, to be eligible for a Visitor Visa, you’ll have to produce a few essential documents. Consult with your local visa office about the papers to reduce your rejection chances.
1. Financial proof for your stay in Canada, i.e., income tax return document or bank statement, payslip, a letter from accountant mentioning annual income, etc.)
2. Proof of ties to your homeland
3. Passport and ID proof issued by the government
4. Invitation letter from friends or relatives staying in Canada
5. Proof of intention to return to the homeland.
6. Passport size photographs (not older than 90 days)
7. Additional documents required (based on immigration case)
Modes of applying for Visitor Visa
You can easily apply for a Canadian visitor visa online or offline.
1. Canadian Visitor Visa application process
Follow these steps to apply for a visitor visa if applying online-
1. Visit the official site of the Canadian government
2. Click on the menu and select Immigration and Citizenship
3. To apply for Visitor Visa, select the Visit tab
4. Click on Apply for a Visitor Visa tab and then on How To Apply
5. Select whether you’re using from within or outside Canada
6. Select online mode of application (due to Covid-19, most of the applications are being processed online)
7. Click on apply for a visitor visa and register for creating an account
8. Fill the form with accurate details
9. Pay the fees via net banking
10. Upload all the scanned copies of documents required
11. Crosscheck all the details and submit your application
12. Schedule appointment with VAC (Visa Application Centre) Canada
13. Give your fingerprints
14. Attend visa interview if scheduled
15. Upon a successful interview, Visitor Visa will be granted
Important Resources About Canada:
2. The offline application process for Visitor Visa
1. Visit the official Canadian government website
2. Click on the menu or upper left and select Immigration and Citizenship
3. Click on the Visit category and then on apply for a visitor visa
4. Choose on paper application mode
5. Go through the documents list and arrange all the necessary documents
6. Download your visa form and fill in all accurate details
7. Print the form and sign on it
8. Submit your visa application to your nearest VAC
9. Pay visa processing fees
10. Submit your biometric information at VAC
11. Attend Visa interview if invited
12. Upon clearing the interview, you’ll receive the visitor visa
Start Your Study Abroad Journey Now.
More Resources to Read:
How much is the Canada Visitor Visa fee?
Refer to the table to know about the visa fees:
Visa Application Category
|Multiple entry (5+ family members)||
How to track application status?
An application takes up to 12 days to get processed. You can check the status of your application online. Follow the steps-
1. Visit the official Canadian Government site
2. Tap on Immigration and Citizenship in the menu
3. Click on my application and then check your application status
4. Select visitor visa from the menu
5. Select your application mode (if you’ve opted for offline application mode, link your application to your account)
6. Check your status
Canada Visitor Visa: Who Can Apply?
People who apply for the Canada Visitor visa have to submit an online application, or offline paper submission, or visit the Visa Application Center in person. If you are going to travel with your family, then every individual, including the child below 18 years of age, must fill out the application forms separately. But all the application forms must be submitted at once.
Canada Tourist Visa from India: How to Track Status
The application for a visitor visa in Canada will be processed within 12 days after submission. Meanwhile, you can also check your visa application’s status. Indians who have applied for a visitor visa for Canada can track their application status online by following these steps:
- You will have to visit the Canadian Government’s official website.
- Go to the menu and select the “Immigration and Citizenship” option.
- Click on “My application”.
- Select “Check your application status”.
- Click on “Visitor Visa” from the drop-down menu.
- Then sign in or create your account on the official website.
- If applied through paper, you will have to link your paper application to your online account.
- Now, you can check the visa application status.
Canada Visitor Visa: Additional Documents for Sponsored Trip
Some of the important additional documents necessary for the Sponsored trip are as follows:
- Sponsor and applicant’s relationship must be clearly stated through a letter.
- The sponsor must show his/her passbook, bank statement, and passport.
- Applicant’s sponsored trip must be confirmed through a letter.
What is a visitor visa in Canada?
A visitor visa is a permit allowing you to visit Canada for a fixed time and enjoy leisure activities.
How many types of visitor visas are there in Canada?
There are two types of visitor visa- tourist visas and business visas.
How long can you stay on a visitor visa in Canada?
The validity differs from 6 months to 10 years.
How to change a visitor visa to a work permit in Canada?
Apply for a job and get a Labour Market Impact Assessment approved letter for the job. If you have LMIA, you’re eligible to apply for a work permit.
Can I work in Canada with a Visitor Visa?
No, you’re not allowed to work in Canada on a visitor visa.
How can I extend my visitor visa in Canada?
Apply for a visitor record to extend your stay in Canada. It includes a new expiry date and provides you a visitor status.
Canada Post Study Work Visa: The Ultimate Guide
Difference between SDS and Non-SDS visa applications?
Quebec Experience Program: Process & Eligibility
How COVID-19 is affecting applications to visit, work or study in Canada?
The Canadian government has announced several travel restrictions to limit traveling to Canada to manage and curb the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus disease). Health authorities have also issued certain limits and guidelines that restrict human movement. Thus, making the application process for visiting Visa to Canada a bit difficult than normal. Therefore, only those who meet the eligibility criteria for traveling to Canada can travel there. You can only travel to Canada if you are exempted from the restrictions and have a purpose to go there. Now, you also need to give biometrics after applying for the visitor visa in Canada.
How much money do you need for a visitor visa in Canada?
After receiving an ITA, you will have to submit the complete application and the $825 (INR 62298) as a Canada Visitor visa processing fee. The fee includes a common-law partner or spouse. But you will have to give an additional $225 (INR 16990) for each dependent child that will accompany you to Canada. Immigrating to Canada or any other country is a lengthy and intricate process that will cost you some money. But the outcome of shifting is worth the price as it offers you a promising future and better opportunities. The total amount required to immigrate is based on the family size, immigration program type, purpose, etc. Other factors that affect the price are settlement funds, required documents collection, visa processing fees, etc.
Is a Canada visitor visa easy to get?
The requirements of visiting Visa to Canada are easy and simple to understand. The whole application process is done online. The country typically allows long-term visas that let individuals enter it multiple times for almost 5 to 10 years.
What happens if your visitor visa expires in Canada?
Every visiting Visa to Canada has an expiry date. People who have a multi-entry visa can enter the country several times for over ten years. To extend your stay, you can also reapply as a visitor record.
What is the Arrima portal?
PR Visa for Canada: Process, Eligibility & Cost
All About Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program
What is Canada Experience Class?
Can a person on a visitor visa work in Canada?
You cannot work in Canada without a working visa. A visitor visa only allows you to enter the country and not carry any business. Certain circumstances may let you work in the country without any working permit. For instance, you are an emergency services provider or health care student who wants to apply at a shipping company. In this case, you will have first to obtain a joining letter and then apply for a Canadian work permit. But you can meet clients or visit job sites related to your job back in your home country.
Can you change your visitor visa to a student visa in Canada?
Yes, you can transform your visitor visa to a student visa in Canada by applying, but the chances of approval are slim. People on a visiting visa who wish to study a short-term course of 6-months or less can pursue it without a study visa. They are free to complete their course on visiting Visa before it expires. If you want to pursue an educational program for more than six months, you must apply for your study permit outside the country.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support