A stable political environment, robust economy and a world-class education system are all answers to your ‘why study in Europe’ inquiry. Every year millions of international students flock to Europe, mostly due to its welcoming culture and proven excellence in future employment. However, if you are still unsure, here are some facts that will make you take the first flight to the continent.
Read More: Guide to Settle in Europe
Facts you should know about study in Europe
Europe has been one of the most popular and livable continents for ages. It also has a long and proud history of providing world-class education through some of the oldest and prestigious universities in the world. Let us get down to the nitty-gritty of studying in Europe.
Houses some of the best universities and colleges in the world
1) University of Oxford (UK): It is one of the oldest universities in Europe, which has been in existence since 1096.
2) University of Cambridge (UK): Cambridge was established in 1209. This university has produced more Nobel Prize winners than any other institution in the world, apart from Columbia University and Harvard University in the US.
3) University of Copenhagen (Denmark): It ranks as one of the top universities in the Nordic countries and Europe. The varsity was set up in 1479.
4) University of Munich (Germany): This is one of Europe’s leading universities and was established in 1472.
5) University College London (UK): UCL is known for being the first university in the UK that admitted women students on equal terms to men.
Quality of education
There is no need to worry about the quality of education in Europe. Even if you are not able to make it to the top colleges, you will still receive education that is top-notch. You will also get to learn first-hand from some of the most venerated professors in the world. Europe has been one of the frontrunners in the industrial revolution; therefore, most European countries take pride in excellent educational infrastructure.
Varieties of courses and specializations
Not many colleges and universities in the world offer the kind of variety in courses as well as specializations that are offered in Europe. From engineering and medicine to music and art, the range of specializations is huge.
Opportunities to travel
Research says the more you travel, the better you get with your creative thinking. Many European countries offer student visas, making travel hassle-free for them. Also, most European countries use a single currency (Euro), which makes it easier for the students to trot around.
Read More: Study in Europe without IELTS
Several reasons to study in Europe
Let us now discuss some of the benefits of studying in Europe.
1) It can boost your career
If you are trying to get a lucrative job in India, international experiences can any day add great value. Also, it becomes easier for you to get a job in Europe itself with a degree from the continent. And if you are planning to immigrate to a country in Europe, it makes a great first step to get an education from there.
2) World-class education and research
Europe houses some of the best universities in the world. Therefore, you can expect world-class education as well as scope for research in Europe. Many of the European countries such as Germany, France, and the UK are considered world leaders in technology and you will get a chance to work with great minds from your field of choice.
3) More education options
There is something for everybody in Europe. From arts to zoology, you will find several courses in Europe without compromising on quality. You can easily apply and get accepted, especially if you have already finished a course from there earlier.
4) Lower tuition fees
As compared to countries like the US, Australia, Canada and others, the tuition fee charged by the majority of public universities in Europe is lesser. In some of the European countries, there is no tuition fee at all. Also, the students can try getting scholarships and explore other options for financial support while they are studying in the European university campuses.
5) The higher education systems are aligned
It is because of the Bologna process of reforms that the national higher education systems offered by all European countries are aligned. This means that all the Bachelor’s as well as Master’s courses in Europe follow the same general academic framework. This is a great help for students who want to continue their education in a different country in Europe from the one where they completed their bachelor’s degree.
6) Rich culture and history, unparalleled academic heritage
Some of the most significant events in the world took place in Europe. The origin of several ideas, concepts, and theories started from this continent. You can get excellent guidance in fields such as industry, politics, finance, philosophy, fashion, literature, arts, economics, sociology, and anthropology here. Several European cities such as London, Paris, Edinburgh, Berlin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Vienna, and Prague take pride in their world-class architecture and fascinating historical antecedents that make studying in these cities a memorable learning experience.
Along with some of the best educators in the world, European universities also offer modern facilities, state-of-the-art technology and industry-oriented coursework to their students. You can also get access to their comprehensive libraries that house a wide collection of books as well as multimedia. Europe is also a centre of software innovation and development. Some of the most renowned technology companies across the world such as Skype, Spotify, Trivago, Supercell, and SAP started in Europe.
8) Part-time job opportunities
Several European countries enable international students to work on a part-time basis while they study. However, they need to meet some of the conditions. Due to the booming economy, there is usually no shortage of work which means that the students can find several well-paid jobs that can even help them cover a part of their education expenses.
9) Multiple language learning opportunities
Although you can speak English in Europe, you also get a chance to learn more than 20 languages including French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Polish. As you learn a new language, you get exposed to a new culture that in turn opens your mind to a new world. You also increase your employability by learning new languages.
Various types of courses that you can study in Europe
One of the major benefits of studying in Europe is that you can choose from a wide variety of courses. The courses vary in duration and also have a different fee structure that varies widely based on the country and the university that you pick to pursue it from. Here are some of the most promising courses that are offered by European colleges, which you can also consider when planning to go for your higher education.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
MBA, today, is one of the most in-demand courses that are pursued by almost everyone. In fact, to get ahead in your career, an MBA degree can help you a lot. Here are some of the best European universities that offer MBA.
1) HEC Paris, France
2) London Business School, UK
3) Essec Business School, France
4) Bocconi University, Italy
5) INSEAD, France
6) ESCP Business School, Paris, Berlin, London, Madrid, Turin, and Warsaw
7) University of Oxford, UK
8) University of St. Gallen (HSG), Switzerland
9) ESMT Berlin, Germany
10) IMD Business School, Switzerland
Graphic design is one of the most popular courses in Europe. Apart from this, you can also go for fashion or product design. Here are some of the educational institutions in Europe that offer courses in design.
1) Goldsmiths University, UK
2) Aalto University, Finland
3) Politecnico di Milano, Italy
4) University of the Arts, UK
5) Royal College of Art, UK
Computer Science and IT
If you wish to pursue Computer Science and IT, you do not have to worry about your career prospects. And if you do the course from one of the renowned European universities, you may even get placed in one of the best companies in the world. Here are some of the best universities in Europe that offer Computer Science and IT courses.
1) University of Oxford, UK
2) KU Leuven, Belgium
3) ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
4) University of Cambridge, UK
5) École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
6) Imperial College London, UK
7) Technical University of Munich, Germany
8) Paris Sciences et Lettres – PSL Research University Paris, France
9) University College London (UCL), UK
10) University of Edinburgh, UK
Engineering and Technology
Engineering and technology jobs make for some of the best career options. If you are looking for some of the best Engineering and Technology universities in Europe, here is a short list of them.
1) Cambridge University, UK
2) Imperial College, UK
3) ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
4) Oxford University, UK
5) École Polytechnique Fédérale di Lausanne, Switzerland
6) Technical University Munich, Germany
7) Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
8) KU Leuven, Belgium
9) KTH, Sweden
10) RWTH Aachen, Germany
Whether Bachelors or Masters, you can get a degree in Environmental Science from a European educational institute in an affordable tuition fee or you may even not have to pay any tuition fee at all. Let us see some of the colleges and universities that offer courses in Environmental Science in Europe.
1) ETH Zurich, Switzerland
2) University of Cambridge, UK
3) Technical University of Munich, Germany
4) University of Oxford, UK
5) EPFL – Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
6) Imperial College London, UK
7) PSL Research University Paris, France
8) École Polytechnique, France
9) LMU Munich, Germany
10) University College London (UCL), UK
Europe has some of the best colleges that offer courses in Law. Some of them are mentioned below:
1) University of Oxford, UK
2) Université Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne, France
3) University of Cambridge, UK
4) KU Leuven, Belgium
5) The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), UK
6) UCL, UK
7) Queen Mary University of London, UK
8) King’s College London, UK
9) The University of Edinburgh, UK
10) Leiden University, Netherlands
These are some of the promising fields where you can make your career by enrolling yourself in any of the many prestigious European colleges or universities. upGrad Abroad is one of the best places in India from where you can begin your education journey in Europe. Some great European universities also offer courses in the field of Data Science, International Management, Cyber Security, in collaboration with upGrad Abroad.