Applying for a master’s in Pharmacy in the USA is a good idea, considering the attractive career prospects. The course usually requires two or three years. An MS in Pharmacy in USA delves into healthcare management, prescriptions, and treatments. It is mostly taught as MS in Pharmacology, and even as an MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences at 50+ USA universities. Tuition costs usually vary between $22,400 and $103,000 (roughly INR 16.69 lakh to INR 76.75 lakh) for these courses.
Leading companies like Allergan, Merck, and many other biggies hire skilled graduates for research and operational functions across the drug manufacturing, research, pharmaceutical management, and regulatory domains. Quality assessment/control analysts and researchers may find jobs with average salaries of roughly INR 52.16 lakhs to INR 59.61 lakhs or anywhere between $70,000-80,000.
Reasons for Studying Master’s in Pharmacy in the USA:
A master’s in pharmacy in the USA for Indian students can lead to a fruitful career. Here are the key reasons for the same:
- The USA is home to the highest-ranked pharmacy universities and colleges in the world.
- Official reports indicate double-digit growth in employment for healthcare-related jobs over the next six-seven years.
- Pharmacy degrees are expected to grow faster within the mainstream healthcare sector, especially with the pandemic and rise in medicinal, hygiene, and related requirements.
- Investments in healthcare and medical research and development are fast-rising across federal organizations and private entities in the USA.
- Pharmacists can find jobs in several business sectors, including medical research, pharmaceutical research and retail, hospitals and medical establishments, and more.
Recommended Read: 50 Interesting Facts about the USA
MS in Pharmacy in the USA- Top Universities:
Here is a list of the top universities offering MS in Pharmacy degrees:
|Name of Institution||Tenure of the Course||Tuition Fee|
|Northeastern University||Two years||$55,600 or INR 41.26 lakhs|
|The Ohio State University||One year||$6,264 per semester or INR 4.65 lakhs|
|The University of Georgia||Two or three years||$42,306 or INR 31.41 lakhs|
|The University of Buffalo||Two or three years||$23,100 annually or INR 17.15 lakh|
A PharmD degree is compulsory for any licensed pharmacist in the USA. There are several job roles that aspirants can take up without doing their PharmD programs as well. A Master’s degree in Pharma will help students get a toehold in the industry, find the best PharmD programs, and earn higher salaries as specialists.
Cost of Studying MS in Pharma in USA:
The costs of studying MS in Pharmacy in the USA are listed below:
- $45-125 (INR 3,353-9,315) in application fees for admission
- $185 (INR 13,780) in TOEFL costs
- $213 (INR 15,800) in GRE costs
- $1,100 (INR 81,968) in Airfare
- $160 (INR 11,862) in Application Costs for F-1 Visas
- Average MS in Pharmacy in USA fees are between $22,400 and $103,000 or INR 16.69 lakh to INR 76.75 lakh
- $600-$1000 per month (INR 44,710 to INR 74,516) in accommodation costs
- $100-$300 per month (INR 7,452 to INR 22,355) in transportation expenditure
- $120-$160 (INR 8,942 to INR 11,923) in food and grocery costs every month
- $450-$700 (INR 33,532 to INR 52,161) in health insurance charges
- $300-$600 (INR 22,355 to INR 44,710) in miscellaneous expenditure
Important Resources to Read About USA:
MS in Pharmacy in USA- Admission Requirements:
Depending on your requirements, you can choose universities offering MS in pharmacy in the USA without GRE or those that insist on GRE scores. There are limited seats available for students in these courses. Most universities have online application forms that you will have to fill out and submit with all necessary documents. You will also have to pay the application fees likewise.
Students need a bachelor’s degree with an academic background in chemical engineering, chemistry, pharmacy, biology, or any related field. The minimum GPA required is 3.0, and applicants have to score at least 150 in both the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections of the GRE. Proof of English language proficiency is also important. Universities usually require TOEFL scores of 80-100. IELTS scores of 6.5-7.0 are also necessary.
Necessary Documents for Admission:
- Official academic transcripts of candidates.
- Two-three LORs (Letters of Recommendation).
- TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- SOP and CV/Resume.
- GRE and other score sheets.
- Proof of funds inclusive of tuition fees and living costs for at least one year.
- Copy of valid passport.
Jobs after M. Pharm and Salary in the USA:
Those working in the USA pharmaceuticals industry earn roughly $93,300 annually or INR 69.52 lakhs. Starting salaries are $12,000 or INR 8.94 lakhs, while graduates earn even more than $140,000 or INR 1.04 crore per year. Getting four-five years of experience will enable a future hike in salaries as well. Pharmacists will require PharmD qualifications in the USA to practice.
Job roles include clinical researcher, pharmacy technician, medical representative, pharmaceutical researcher, drug control director, pharmaceutical process engineer, and pharmaceutical sales representative. Along with medical research and healthcare firms, students can find employment in the food and beverage sector, hospitals, and pharmacies, along with general stores. Those inclined towards research and development may choose doctoral pharmacy programs after finishing their master’s degrees.
Visa Procedure for Students:
Those choosing MS in Pharmacy in the USA have to apply for the F-1 student visa. The official requirements include the following:
- Proof of funds equivalent to tuition costs for the first year.
- Official bank statements and scholarship proof.
- Fill up the SEVIS I-901 form while registering with the global database of visitors.
- I-20 form given by the University for the F-1 visa.
- Pay the fees of $350 or INR 25,972 as the SEVIS charge.
Once you apply with all the documents, you will have to schedule your appointment for the visa interview at your nearest US Consulate or Embassy.
Read More: What is the acceptable study gap in the USA?
Available Scholarships for Students:
Studying in the USA can be expensive, although there are multiple scholarships for global students. Some of the best options include the following:
|Name of the Scholarship||Name of the Institution||Scholarship Amount/Coverage|
|Dean’s Pharmaceuticals Sciences Scholarships for International Students||University of Southern California||$5,000+ or INR 3.71 lakhs+|
|International Chancellor’s Graduate Scholarship||Rutger University||$14,000 or INR 10.39 lakhs|
|Fulbright Foreign Student Program||All||Coverage for flight fare, tuition and study costs, health insurance and stipend.|
|Global Excellence Scholarship||University of Minnesota||$10,000-$25,000 or INR 7.42 to INR 18.55 lakhs|
More Resources to Read About USA:
Is an Indian Pharmacy Degree Valid in the USA?
Pharmacy students may choose PharmD programs in the USA while registering as a pharmacist officially. PharmD graduates from India qualify for the NAPLEX (North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination) and FPGEE (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination) while registering as pharmacists after clearing the entrance examinations. You should also sit for the IELTS or TOEFL while getting the FPGEC (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee) certification. You can also sit for the pharmacy law examination.
What are the Courses After B Pharma in the USA?
You can pursue a Master of Science in Pharmacy Administration along with a Master of Arts in Clinical Medicine or Doctor of Pharmacy and Master of Business Administration. You can also choose a Master of Science in Pharmacology and Physiology or a Master of Science in Systems Medicine. Graduates may also decide to pursue PharmD courses in the USA before registering as licensed pharmacists. PharmD graduates can sit for the NAPLEX and FPGEE at this time as well.
Which Course is best after B Pharmacy in the USA?
The best course after B Pharmacy in the country includes several options like MS in Pharmacy and MBA in Pharma Business Management, MBA in Pharmaceutical Management, or MBA Pharma. MBA in General Management, PGDM in Pharmaceutical Management, and Master of Arts in Clinical Medicine are other options. You can also choose options like Master of Science in Pharmacy Administration, Master of Science in Pharmacology and Physiology, and Master of Science in Systems Medicine.
Master’s in Project Management in USA
Master’s in Biotechnology in USA
MS in Engineering Management in USA
Master’s in Psychology in USA
Master’s in Business Analytics in USA
Masters in Data Science in USA
Masters in Economics in USA
MS in MIS in USA