Master in Science (MS) is a two-year course for graduates in the United States of America (USA), especially for those with undergraduate degrees in science or related fields. If we discuss eligibility for MS in the USA for Indian students, the criteria vary across universities and institutions.
Eligibility for MS in the USA for Indian students- Mandatory Criteria
Regarding the eligibility for MS in the USA, there are some mandatory requirements that you should keep in mind. They include the following:
- A three or four-year undergraduate (UG) degree in a relevant academic discipline. This is part of the non-negotiable criteria for MS in the USA. You need not always have a Bachelor of Science qualification to apply for MS programs.
- Your average GPA should be 3.0, equal to 65-70% or higher percentage in your UG course.
- You should provide proof of English language proficiency (tests like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE).
- Your GRE score should be a minimum of 290 or more.
- One of the most important requirements for masters in the USA is a Statement of Purpose (SOP) along with 2-3 LORs (letters of recommendation).
It is possible to improve your eligibility for MS in the USA for Indian students by submitting details of research projects/internships, published research papers, and proof of participation in leadership, social, or community initiatives.
Several documents are expected to be presented for applying to MS programs in the USA. Here’s taking a closer look at the same:
- Score sheets of English language proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS.
- Score sheets of standardized examinations such as GRE or GMAT.
- Two to three LORs (Letters of Recommendation).
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) or Application Essay, whichever is necessary.
- Resume or CV if needed.
- Official transcripts of your academic scores and mark sheets, including Classes X, XII, and your Bachelor’s course.
- Work experience certificates and documents, if needed.
- Photocopies of passport/ID.
- Photographs in the requisite size.
- Declaration for any added curricular participation and other information mentioned in the application form.
- WES Evaluation records if needed.
Here are the documents that you will need for the student visa:
- An international passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the completion date of the course in the USA.
- Acceptance at SEVP-approved institution and the I-20 Form.
- Receipt of SEVIS application fee payment.
- Non-immigrant visa application and DS-160 Form confirmation page.
- Photograph in the required size and format.
- Proof of funds for supporting tuition and living costs throughout your stay in the USA. You may have to provide your bank statements, details of scholarships received, and financial undertaking by your sponsor for meeting living and accommodation expenditure, etc.
- You will have to ensure that you leave the USA after completing your course. This can be provided through a return air ticket to your home country.
- You may also have to provide copies of your academic certificates, degrees, and diplomas if required by the authorities.
After completing the document submission procedure, you will have to proceed with the visa interview on the scheduled date. Make sure that you start preparing your application and visa documents well in advance. Check all the respective application dates carefully.
- Cost of studying engineering in USA for Indian students
- Study Options in the USA for Indian Students After 12th Commerce
- What is the acceptable study gap in the USA?
- Reasons to Study at Northern Arizona University (NAU)
- A guide on IELTS Score to study in the USA
- Here are 50 Interesting Facts about the USA
- A Guide to Settle in USA from India!
- Part-Time Job Options in the USA for International Students
- What to do if your F1 student visa to the USA gets rejected
- Spring intake in usa