Pursuing Masters of Science (MS) in information technology in USA can be a good idea if a candidate is passionate about the subject and wish to build a career in this field. Studying Information Technology (IT) in the United States of America (USA) can help you build a fruitful career, considering its global dominance in the technology sector. The USA is a global tech hub with its own Silicon Valley and leading tech-driven Fortune 500 companies. These factors make the US a great place to study for information technology aspirants.
Recommended Read: Study in USA
Top universities for MS in information technology in the USA
Here is a list of universities in the USA for MS in information technology.
- Arizona State University- The institution offers a 1.5-2 year MS in Information Technology program. The university has also tied up with Infosys to enhance students’ overall learning-based experiences. The program will also offer access to next-gen platforms like Wingspan. Those studying MS in information technology will get an opportunity to build highly advanced technological skills. The course covers enterprise databases, IT solutions, technical analysis of networks and systems, creating technical graphics, etc. Sub-courses include principles of computer and information technology, advanced information systems security, and software development for information technology. Tuition fees are approximately $26,200 ((INR 19,84,623 approx) per year.
- University of South Florida- This is another university where students can pursue MS in information technology in USA. The institution offers its own Masters of Science in Information Technology course.
- Valparaiso University- This university offers a master of science in information technology-computing course.
- Rivier University- This university offers an MBA in Information Technology Management.
Recommended Read: Reasons to Study at Northern Arizona University (NAU)
How to apply for Masters in Information Technology in USA?
Students can easily apply for MS in information technology at the official websites of universities. Visit the portals of universities and check the criteria for eligibility for MS in information technology in USA. If you are eligible, apply online with all requisite documents. Once you are done, pay the application fee and wait till the university intimates you about the status of your application. This can be tracked online.
Recommended Read: How to Get a Scholarship for MS in the USA?
Eligibility for MS in Information Technology
Eligibility guidelines may vary, depending upon the institution and course in question. Here’s taking a look at the same.
- Some institutions require GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) test scores. It is recommended that you score at least 161 and 150 on the Quantitative and Verbal sections of the test, respectively. The GRE is waived for applicants with undergraduate degrees from USA programs with ABET (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology) accreditation. This may also be waived for those with three years of professional or full-time experience in the USA.
- A minimum percentage will be required in your undergraduate course or a particular GPA.
- You should prove your English language proficiency by submitting either TOEFL or IELTS test scores. Minimum criteria vary across institutions. Usually, institutions insist on IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 80.
- Two to Three LORs (letters of recommendation).
- Statement of Purpose (SOP).
- Bachelor’s degree should be in computer science or any related field.
Recommended Read: MS in Data Analytics in USA
Admission Procedure & Documents Needed
The admission procedure involves the following steps:
- Apply online at the official websites of universities.
- Check eligibility criteria and then apply online.
- Submit all documents required with your application.
- Proceed to video or personal interviews if needed.
- Wait till you receive your official confirmation letter or letter of acceptance.
- Complete admission formalities and pay the admission deposit.
- Apply for your student visa by submitting all documents.
- Appear for the visa interview to complete the process.
Recommended Read: Spring Intake in USA- A Guide
University Application Documents Needed:
- Official academic transcripts and mark sheets.
- Score sheets of standardized examinations like GRE, TOELF, and IETLS.
- Valid passport copy.
- SOP (Statement of Purpose).
- 2-3 LORs (Letters of Recommendation).
- Proof of work experience wherever required.
More MS Courses in USA to Read:
Reasons to study MS in information technology in USA
There are many reasons why studying MS in information technology can be fruitful for your career:
- The USA is home to numerous leading universities in the subject, including some globally renowned. You will naturally appreciate learning from the best, with the brightest minds alongside you.
- You can expect great opportunities to research in the USA, along with taking up projects, internships, and other initiatives.
- The USA is the world’s biggest technological hub, home to leading technology majors and a flourishing IT sector.
- Vibrant and fulfilling campus life with plenty of activities.
Recommended Read: 50 Interesting Facts about the USA
Cost of Studying MS in Information Technology in USA
Depending on the institution and the course in question, you should be prepared to pay anywhere around $25-30,000 per year. This works out from roughly INR 18.58 lakh to INR 22.29 lakh on average. You will also have to factor in living costs around $15-20,000 per year or upwards. This equates to around INR 11.15 lakh to INR 14.86 lakh.
English Proficiency Test for International Students
International students have to sit for the TOEFL or IELTS to be eligible for admission into universities in the USA. The recommended scores are 80 in TOEFL and 6.5-7 in IETLS. PTE is another popular test of English proficiency that many universities in the USA accept.
More Resources to Read:
Jobs after MS in Information Technology in USA
After MS in information technology in the USA, there are several jobs for skilled graduates. MS graduates can expect an attractive starting salary in the USA after MS in information technology. This is because computer and information technology represent two of the fastest-growing career options in the country, with thousands of employment opportunities set to be created over the next decade. Career opportunities in science and technology are rapidly growing in the USA and average salaries may hover between $131-153,000 for the highest-paid professions like DevOps engineers, infrastructure architects, applications architects, technical program managers, enterprise architects, software development managers, etc.
Which universities are best for MS in information technology in the USA?
Several universities are recommended for those willing to pursue MS in information technology in the USA. Some of them include Arizona State University, Valparaiso University, University of South Florida, and Rivier University, to name a few. This course is available at numerous institutions throughout the country.
Is there any age limit for MS in the USA?
As per the prevailing guidelines, there are no age limits for those applying for MS degrees in the USA. There could be lower age limits depending upon the course, although the upper age limit is non-existent. This gives more flexibility and scope to candidates looking to catch up on their higher education even at a more advanced stage of life.
How can you study MS in the USA for free?
Technically you cannot study in the USA for free, although it is sometimes possible if you have suitable Government and private grants or scholarships. However, scholarship providers have certain criteria that you need to meet in this case. You should start applying for multiple scholarships to scale up your chances of getting accepted into these programs. Full tuition fee waivers on scholarships are often possible for academically brilliant aspirants.
What is the eligibility to study MS in the USA?
To be eligible to get admission into a university that offers MS degree in the USA, you should have studied a three or four-year bachelor’s course in a relevant subject. You should also have scored a GPA of 3 or at least 65-70% in your undergraduate course. You should have a GRE score suitable as per the university’s requirements where you have applied, along with meeting the English language proficiency score criteria (IELTS or TOEFL test scores).