Candidates who wish to grow in their careers in construction, project management and engineering show interest in pursuing a master’s in construction management in USA. The course is one to two years long. You should have a bachelor’s degree in construction management or any relevant field of study for the course. You can also opt for an MS or master’s in engineering (MEng) in construction management.
The cost of pursuing an MS in construction management in USA is around $23,000-82,000 or INR 17.11 lakhs to INR 61 lakhs. Average annual salaries for graduates are around $93,000 or INR 69.17 lakhs per year in this field. Universities have varying eligibility criteria, with students usually requiring scores of six-seven in IELTS or 60-100 in TOEFL.
Read More: What is the acceptable study gap in the USA?
Reasons for studying master’s in construction management in the USA:
While you may have waded into the construction management vs project management debate, here are some key reasons why you can consider the former:
● The USA has some of the highest-ranked universities for construction management, with an excellent scope of research and training.
● Demand for construction managers is expected to touch double-digit growth over the next decade, with close to 50,000 new jobs being created across sectors.
● 100+ institutions offer courses in construction engineering, science, and building science, among other niches.
● Median salaries for construction managers are handsome in the USA, with great prospects.
● This field has some of the lowest unemployment rates in the USA, as per studies.
Read More: Here are 50 Interesting Facts about the USA
Top universities for an MS in construction management in the USA:
You can narrow down your search process by filtering the USA’s top 20 universities in construction management. Here’s taking a closer look at some of them:
|Institution||Name of the Course||Course Tenure||Program Charges|
|Carnegie Mellon University or CMU||MS in Architecture Engineering and Construction Management or AECM||9-16 months||$46,000 or INR 34.44 lakhs|
|The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor||M.Eng in Construction Engineering and Management or Master of Science in Engineering with focus on construction engineering & management||8-12 months||$25,323.19 or INR 18.97 lakhs|
|Columbia University||MS in Construction Administration or Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics.||1.5-2 years||$2,346 (per credit) or INR 1.75 lakhs|
|New York University or NYU||MS in Construction Management||12 months||$22,699 (per semester) or INR 17.03 lakhs|
|University of Southern California||Master of Construction Management||2 years||$17,592 or INR 13.21 lakhs|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison||MS in Construction Engineering and Management||1 year||$25,417 or INR 19.09 lakhs|
|Purdue University||MS in Construction Management Technology||2 years||$29,898 (one academic year) or INR 22.45 lakhs|
|Michigan State University or MSU||MS in Construction Management||1 year||$875.75 (per credit) or INR 65,774|
|Vanderbilt University||MEng in Construction Management||16 months||$64,500 or INR 48.86 lakhs|
|Arizona State University or ASU||MS in Construction Management and Technology||1 year||$23,544 or INR 17.69 lakhs|
Costs of Study:
There are several costs that you should take into account. Some of them are listed below:
● $213 or INR 15,988 in GRE test charge.
● $185 or INR 13,887 in TOEFL costs.
● INR 14,700 to take IELTS.
● $75-100 or INR 5,579-7,438 in application costs.
● $160 or INR 12,012 for an F-1 student visa.
● $700 or INR 52,068 for airfare.
● $350 or INR 26,311 in SEVIS costs.
● $23,000-82,000 in tuition fees or INR 17.11 lakhs to INR 61 lakhs.
● $2,000 or INR 1.49 lakhs in health insurance costs per year.
● $9,600-14,400 or INR 7.14 lakhs to INR 10.71 lakhs in accommodation charges per year.
● $1,440-3,000 or INR 1.07-2.23 lakhs in yearly transportation costs.
● $2,000 or INR 1.49 lakhs in annual electricity and gas bills.
● $2,500 or INR 1.86 lakhs in yearly entertainment and leisure costs.
● $2,400 or INR 1.79 lakhs in study material costs per year.
● $3,000 or INR 2.23 lakhs in food and grocery costs per year.
These are the costs that you must budget for before planning your USA study program.
Recommended Read: Cost of studying engineering in USA for Indian students
Requirements for Admission:
The admission timeline is mostly in the spring and fall semesters. International students should wrap up all online applications within six-12 months before deadlines. Along with their application forms, they should also dispatch all necessary documents to their chosen universities.
Here are the eligibility guidelines for students:
● A bachelor’s degree is necessary, and that too in fields like construction management, science, mathematics, engineering or any other related discipline.
● A GPA score of 3 is vital on a four-point scale. It is usually equivalent to the B grade or 85% of marks.
● Universities may also require GRE and IELTS/TOEFL scores.
● The minimum IELTS score should be around 6.5 to 7.
● The minimum TOEFL score (iBT) requirement is 80-100.
● GRE scores of 156-165 are often necessary for both quantitative and verbal sections.
● While it is not mandatory, some institutions may insist on two or three years of professional experience.
More Resources to Read About USA:
● Filled-up application form.
● Two or three LORs (letters of recommendation).
● Receipt of application fee payment.
● Personal statement and official transcripts.
● CV or Resume, detailing your professional and educational journey to date.
● SOP or Statement of Purpose.
● Scores of GRE and tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
● Official proof of funds (bank statements and other documents).
● Valid passport copy.
Recommended Reads: Study Options in the USA for Indian Students After 12th Commerce
Job opportunities after completing your course:
Doing an MS in construction management in the USA opens doors to attractive careers in various business sectors. Recruiters include MNCs, global consulting agencies, government organizations, construction companies, architecture and design companies, and infrastructural players. Demand has grown exponentially for skilled construction managers, while average salaries may range between $63,000-96,000 or INR 46.86 lakhs to INR 71.41 lakhs.
Available job roles include real estate manager, project manager, construction manager, assistant engineer, project engineer, construction scheduler, and construction estimator. Being one of the biggest global economies, the USA offers plenty of opportunities for construction management graduates.
Recommended Read: Part-Time Job Options in the USA for International Students
Here are the documents and requirements for student visas:
● Passport with validity extending to six months beyond your course tenure.
● Form I-20 and DS-160.
● Receipt of application fee payments.
● Original provisional certificate or mark sheet along with academic transcripts.
● Score sheets of tests like TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, and GMAT.
● Proof of returning home after the course, i.e., through return air tickets. Students should have funds for covering at least one year’s living and tuition costs in their bank accounts.
● Proof of funds through bank statements and information about scholarships and sponsors.
● Clearing the visa interview is also mandatory.
● You will have to complete the SEVIS I-901 online form while registering at the database for international visitors. Making SEVIS payments for the visa is also important.
The visa application procedure is not complex at all. You have to finish your application form, attach your photograph and print it out for the interview. Schedule your interview appointment at your nearest US Consulate or Embassy. Candidates within 14-79 should compulsorily arrive for their interviews. Make your application fee payment and compile all interview documents. Appear for the personal interview and pay the issuance charge once your visa has been approved.
There are multiple scholarships that you can apply for. Here are some of them:
|Obama Foundation Scholars Program||Given to those who have made a noticeable difference in the community and civil sectors.||Coverage for tuition costs, living expenditure, and learning materials.|
|Rotary Foundation Graduate Scholarship Program||Those coming from average or low-income nations.||$30,000 or INR 22.31 lakhs.|
|PEO International Peace Scholarship For Women||Given only to international candidates who are women.||$12,500 or INR 9.3 lakhs.|
|Vanderbilt Tuition Scholarship||Given to those pursuing MEng in Construction Management from Vanderbilt University||50% of the total tuition costs.|
|SOA Graduate Merit Scholarship||Given by the Carnegie Mellon University||Funding is partially given.|
|Civil Society Leadership Award||Those with a brilliant track record in academics.||Coverage for tuition costs, living costs, travel expenditure, and the monthly stipend.|
Apart from scholarships, international students can also apply for education loans or other funding. They may also look for part-time job opportunities to cover some of their tuition and living costs. Students are usually eligible to take up part-time jobs for up to 20 hours each week.
upGrad Abroad- A 360-Degree International Study Solution:
When you plan to study abroad, streamlining applications, tests, documentation, and other procedures can be a daunting task. It is where one of India’s foremost providers of education, upGrad, has come up with upGrad Abroad, offering the best global courses and educational programs to learners, along with comprehensive assistance.
upGrad Abroad has tied up with some of the world’s top universities for easing out admissions, eligibility, and other aspects. It enables students to get world-class academic learning and various benefits flexibly, hassle-free, and cost-effective.
upGrad Abroad offers both bachelors and masters courses tailored to meet current and evolving requirements in the global market, opening the door towards attractive and fulfilling careers for aspirants. Here are some of the key pointers worth noting about upGrad Abroad and why it makes for a good choice:
● You can get international degrees from home, courtesy of innovative learning models at upGrad Abroad. In this system, you can complete a couple of semesters of study at home (online) through a renowned university in India. After that, you can opt for both online or offline study models and obtain degrees from leading global universities.
● upGrad Abroad facilitates handsome savings on your education costs. The goal here is to enable quality global education without burning a hole in the wallets of aspirants. Students may save up to 80% of their tuition costs by studying at home in the first year and shifting abroad in the second year for offline classes. These courses will cost you only 1/10th of regular offline expenditure.
● Free webinars are frequently offered for ensuring a glimpse into available courses, institutions, jobs, and more.
● Fast-track courses help students save on study time, while upGrad Abroad also has unique courses that enable students to study abroad without IELTS.
● Interactive courses, mentorship, visa and scholarship assistance, and admission preparation are other services available.
● The upGrad team also helps you with documentation, essays, education loans, expenditure, and all other process steps.
● upGrad Abroad has also introduced UA Accelerator Programs available after Class XII or UG in fields like technology, data science, business administration, and cyber security. Expect savings up to INR 20 lakhs or more with these UA Accelerator Programs while getting all the support you need to pursue a global career.
● upGrad Abroad offers 24×7 question & answer facilities, podcasts, videos, reference texts, live lectures with industry personnel and faculty members, and coaching classes in smaller groups.
Studying abroad is no longer an unattainable dream if you have the necessary support, resources, and tools at hand. upGrad Abroad is an ideal platform for meeting your international education/career needs.