The Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) is a standard and mandatory test conducted by the college board. Any student who wishes to pursue undergraduate courses abroad is required to pass the SAT. The total duration of the exam is three hours (without an essay), and the test scores range between 400-1600. The exam tests students’ critical thinking and analysis, mathematical, and language skills. Before 2016, the SAT had a compulsory essay section; that section has now been made optional. Preparing with the best Math SAT books can help to ace the SAT math exam.
Table of Contents
Introduction to SAT Math Section
The Math section of the test includes a total of 58 questions, which are further categorized into three categories: calculator-allowed, non-calculator-allowed, and multiple-choice questions. The time allocated for this section is 80 minutes.
The main focus of the SAT Math Section is on Algebra (consisting of 19 questions), 17 Data Analysis and Problem-solving questions, and 16 questions on Advanced Maths. To thoroughly prepare for the SAT Math exam, you can take help and guidance from Math SAT books.
Keep on reading to find out the best math SAT prep books.
SAT Math Study Guide
A good strategy is needed to get through the competitive exams. Following is the SAT math study guide you should consider as a part of your strategy:
- As the old saying goes, ‘Practice makes a man perfect.’ Take as many practice tests as possible. By practicing, you will be able to find out your weak areas and work on them. Also, you will get an idea of the type of questions asked in the test. While taking the practice tests, keep a target score in mind; try to achieve that with every practice test.
- To ace the Math section, one of the most important aspects you must remember is formulas. Make sure you memorize the formulas thoroughly and understand them to use them effectively in the exam.
- Furthermore, while giving a practice test, keep a check on the clock. You must be able to complete the test in the given time.
- Review and understand each main topic of the Math test. For instance, to ace the Algebra questions, you need to understand the concept thoroughly and memorize the formulas and strategies used to solve Algebraic problems.
- Understand the type of Math questions that will be asked, whether it is Multiple choice questions or Grid-ins.
- The SAT exam analyzes the intricate and detailed orientation of the students; therefore, try to eliminate the common or silly mistakes.
Study Abroad Preparation Course
What does the Course include:
- 12 Weeks of Dedicated Coaching to Build a robust profile for Top 1% Universities
- SOP & Personal Statements For Academic Writing
- 25 hours of live online classes with mock tests for IELTS
- Visa, University Application & Submission
- Country-specific Support with Education loan Guidance
- International Faculty Masterclass
Top Math SAT Books for Preparation
Clearing the Math section of the Scholastic Assessment Test can get tough. However, with the assistance of the best Math SAT prep books, you can score with flying colors.
|Title of the book||Why this book||Price||Where to buy|
|The official SAT study guide||This is the official book created by the College Board. It consists of 8 practice tests and additional instructions and guidance related to the test.||Rs. 2750||Amazon|
|PWN the SAT: Math Guide||This book consists of over 200 math problems with unique techniques to help you ace your math section.||Rs. 2858||Amazon|
|Math Workout For the SAT||The Princeton Review curated this book with the unique selling proposition that it not only gives you various math problems but also acts as a guide to the questions designed to confuse you and how to avoid them.||Rs. 4885||Amazon|
Dr. John Chung's SAT Math: 63 Perfect Tips and 16 Complete Tests
|This book is made to help students excel in the math section of the SAT exam. With 63 concise tips, you can ace your exam.||Rs. 2669||Amazon|
|SAT Math Workbook||This book provides realistic questions asked in the SAT exam.||Rs. 1099||Amazon|
|SAT Math prep by Kaplan||This book has over 400 questions, covering every topic thoroughly.||Rs. 800||Amazon|
The College Board has given certain flexibility to the students when preparing for the test. They can prepare for the exam based on the deadlines for college applications. Additionally, there is no negative marking involved in the SAT exam. However, you need to stay alert while preparing for the exam and keep a check on your mistakes so as to avoid them during the exam. With good books and great determination, you can excel at the Math section of your test and get admission to your dream college.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difficulty level of the Math section of SAT?
The difficulty level of the SAT Math exam is generally that one would study in high school. However, it is vital to thoroughly understand the formulas and Math concepts to master this test.
How many questions should you get right in the Math SAT section to get a good score?
To get 800 on your Math section requires perfection; if you get 0 or 1 question wrong, you can score 800; however, if you get 2-3 wrong questions, you lose 10 points.
Is it important to use the best math SAT prep books?
Using the best math SAT prep books will help you brush up on your math skills, helping you in getting a good score. The books are curated with tips and tricks to help you better understand the topics.
How much time does it take to prepare for the SAT exam thoroughly?
It is advised to study for an average of 20-30 hours a week over two to three months to ace the SAT exam.