The Birbeck University London UK was founded in 1823 with the aim of helping citizens of London get quality education that changes their lives. The Birbeck University London will celebrate its 200th year in 2023. The university is a part of the University of London, celebrating 100 years of its association in 2019. The institution takes classes in the evening with students getting ample scope of work and internships during the daytime along with research and other academic pursuits.
The Birbeck University London ranking is 332 in the QS World University Rankings list and 351-400 in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022 tally.
The institution has its campus located in central London’s Bloomsbury with the best facilities for students. The campus is near other colleges of the University of London along with Chinatown, Covent Garden, Soho and the British Museum. Students get access to all student facilities at the University of London including its libraries and study zones along with Student Central and the Students’ Union.
The university is known for its expertise in research and has several research centres and institutions including along with groups, networks and societies. It has a dedicated Graduate Research School and Research Office along with BIRON, the online module for research.
The admission cycle is from mid-October onwards. Most courses will have closing dates for applicants. If there is no date mentioned, then you will find an interview date. Applications should be submitted at least two weeks before this date.
The Birbeck University London admission process involves the following aspects:
1. UG students may apply via UCAS.
2. PG students may directly apply at the university online.
3. PhD/M. Phil students can apply after finding a supervisor.
The Birbeck University London admission requirements include the following:
1. Undergraduate applicants should get at least 60-80% of marks in Class XII depending on their board. Acceptable qualifications include the HSC/ISC/AISSC and so on. Those with IB Diplomas or A- levels will also be considered.
2. Postgraduate applicants should get first division/first-class grades in their bachelor’s or undergraduate programs. The marks vary between 55-60% depending on the course.
The Birbeck University London acceptance rate is 67%. There are several undergraduate, postgraduate, and research-oriented courses like MPhil and PhD. Popular courses include art and architecture, accounting, art history, business studies, chemistry, computer science, digital media, data science, economics, finance, geology and management.
Students spend about 150 hours of learning for every 15-credit study module throughout 11 weeks.
Here are the 2022-23 term dates:
1. Autumn term: Monday 3 October 2022 to Friday 16 December 2022
2. Spring term: Monday 09 January 2023 to Friday 24 March 2023
3. Summer term: Monday 24 April 2023 to Friday 7 July 2023
The institution has pupils from 120+ countries. There are several extra-curricular pursuits available for students including competitive sports facilities, day trips, tours and more. There are walking tours organized for students along with various talks and student networks that they can be a part of. Students can also choose from numerous clubs covering everything from dance and sailing to polo and badminton.
Since the university is an evening-teaching institution most students volunteer, intern or work in the daytime. 95% of graduates find work within six months of graduation. The university has its own consultancy for recruitment, helping students find work and internship opportunities during their courses. The Careers Service is available for free to all students including assistance with resumes, workshops, events, online career management, resources and more under Birkbeck Futures. Students can access these services for up to three years after graduating. They also get several career coaching services while the mentoring pathways programme helps pair them with industry/professional mentors. The Ability programme enhances employability for graduates as well.
The institution has close ties with several companies including Byday, Glassdoor, Edaid, Civil Service Fast Stream, and The Digital Garage from Google to name a few. There is a dedicated UpSkill blueprint with several employer-driven networking and other events. Speakers include leading employers and leaders from various organisations. Talent is the in-house recruitment service, linking graduates to leading employers in the UK, helping them gain invaluable day-time work experience. It has found internships and job opportunities for 500+ students since 2015 onwards. The Handshake online career management platform also helps with internships, jobs and employer connections. Birkbeck Talent works as a specialist talent consultancy for employers as well. It also works with Santander for offering skilled interns for businesses.
The list of famous alumni includes the following names:
1. Sir Roger Scruton, Professor and writer.
2. JD Bernal, crystallographer.
3. Annie Besant- social activist and reformer.
4. TS Eliot, playwright, poet, critic and Nobel Prize winner.
5. George Birkbeck, College Founder, academician, doctor and philanthropist.
6. Siobhan Butterworth, ex-Legal Director, Guardian Newspapers Ltd.
7. Simon Bird, writer-actor-comedian.
8. Sir Arthur Wing Pinero, actor and director.
9. David Smith, Economics Editor, the Sunday Times.
10. Ben Walters, movie critic and journalist.
The Birbeck University London fees are approximately £13,350 (INR 13.35 lakh) per year for international students. Fees may vary depending on the course that is selected. You will require at least £12-13,000 (INR 12-13 lakh) per year in living costs, based on the university recommendations, covering food, accommodation, travel and other miscellaneous expenditure.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support