Peking University was founded as the Imperial University of Peking in 1898. The University was China’s first modern institute of higher education. It was renamed to the present name by order of the government of the Republic of China in 1912.
Today, it is one of the top public universities facilitating research in humanities and science. According to the QS World University Ranking® 2023, it holds a rank of #12 in the world.
The University’s main campus, known as “Yan Yuan,” welcomes students globally to provide cross-disciplinary education. It is home to more than 48,600 students, out of which nearly 2,500 are international students. Fifty-five schools and departments, sixty research entities, and ten affiliated hospitals make this institute a world-class educational institution.
There are over 12,600 faculty and staff members, including over 123 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
If you are wondering how to get admission in Peking University, continue reading to get all the details.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Peking University admission criteria for international students are straightforward. The undergraduate and graduate admission criteria are different.
You need to meet the following criteria for undergraduate courses:
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens
- Applicants must be between 17 to 23 years old before registration
- A full-time high school graduation degree is compulsory
For Master’s Degree:
- Hold a valid passport
- Have no criminal records
- Be of sound health both mentally and physically
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
Non-Chinese applicants must hold a degree from a University that has received accreditation from the Ministry of Education of China.
The admission requirements are different for each course, and applicants must meet the academic performance and language ability of the major they are applying for.
Every University requires the submission of certain documents for the successful application process. Peking University admission requirements require the following documents from applicants:
- A hard copy of the Peking University application form with a photograph affixed
- Original or notarized copies of graduation and degree certificates
- Official transcripts of academic achievement to date that highlights the name of the courses and standards achieved
- A personal statement that includes the research plan of 1500 words (For Master’s Degree)
- Abstract or table of contents of original academic publication (if any)
- Two recommendation letters from the professor or associate professor related to the major
- One photocopy of a valid passport
- Original copy of the language test scores
The templates for personal statements and recommendation letters should be downloaded from the University website. The recommendation letter should be original and written in Chinese or English.
Also, except for the recommendation letter, two sets of documents should be sent; one original set and another copy. Depending on the school or college you apply to, you may be required to send additional documents.
Applicants applying for a Master’s at Peking must undergo two examination stages. Those who successfully pass the preliminary round will sit for a comprehensive assessment organized by the department’s exam team.
All applicants must take the TOEFL iBT (100 points or above) or GRE tests for English-taught programs. Other certificates to prove their English language proficiency can be considered as well.
Some departments may require applicants to submit a certificate of Chinese language proficiency.
The University offers 130 undergraduate programs and 301 Ph.D. programs. The popular courses studied at these colleges include:
- Advanced Statistical Computation
- Artificial Intelligence
- Auditory Neuroscience
- Algorithm and Data Structure
- Applied Statistics
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- Arts Management
- Complex Geometry
- Geographic Information System Engineering
- Heritage Studies
- Industrial Ecology
- Nuclear Physics
How University Evaluates Applicants
The application of each student is reviewed carefully. The International Students Division reviews the application in the first stage. The basic qualifications are checked. If the application is passed, the materials will be forwarded to the Office of Graduate Administration of the respective school/department.
In the second stage, the respective school’s admission team gets the application materials reviewed by professional expert panels. Three factors are considered in this stage:
- Applicant’s professional background
- Academic achievements and qualifications
- Development potential of the applicant
The applications that make it through these rounds are selected for the examination. Other factors that are considered include:
- Personal qualities of the applicant
- Test scores
- Interview answers
Tips for Applying to University
There’s no guarantee that you will get admission even if you meet Peking University admission criteria. Here are a few tips that will help to give your best shot:
- Try to score excellent GPAs because academic excellence is one of the significant criteria for selection to prominent Universities.
- Ensure you have enough knowledge about the course you’re picking. This will help to ace your interviews.
- Be confident with your answers in the interview. Treat it like a conversation; do not stretch on one topic for too long.
- Make your mark with personal statements. Give your best and let the personal statements do all the talking.
- If you want to make it to Peking, apply for two subjects. This helps to have a fallback option.
- Lastly, do not lose hope if you do not make it. Consider applying to other top Universities.
The deadlines are essential to make it successfully to the University. Make sure you check the official website of the University to note down all important dates.
✓End to end Visa/Application support