MBBS in Singapore is a five-year educational degree. There are only two MBBS colleges in Singapore – Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine at the Nanyang University of Technology. NUS is ranked 11th globally, at 21st position for Medicine school category by QS World Rankings 2021. Despite being a high-end city, unemployment rates are almost non-existent, while funding options are also available for students.
Why Study MBBS in Singapore?
There are many reasons why MBBS in Singapore for Indian students is worth it:
- Singapore has a high rate of literacy, spending heavily on education. There are roughly 2.35 doctors in the city-state for every 1,000 individuals.
- Singapore has a higher employment rate which stands at almost 88%. The unemployment rate is just 2.2%.
- MBBS in Singapore for international students is more affordable, especially due to the availability of scholarships. Students have to stay back, work, and conveniently repay the loan amount.
- Permanent Residency (PR) – A whopping majority of candidates applying for permanent residency (PR) are successful in Singapore, with steady growth over the last few years.
- Singapore offers a safe environment with low crime rates, convenient public transportation, and top-notch public amenities.
- Multicultural community- Singapore is a cultural mix comprising traditions, cuisines, festivals, and more. It has four official languages: Malay, English, Chinese, and Tamil.
Top Universities for MBBS in Singapore
National University of Singapore
Nanyang University of Technology
School Offering MBBS
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
Annual Program Fees (in SGD)
S$61,850 (approximately INR 34.63 lakh)
S$70,500 (approximately INR 39.48 lakh)
2021 THE World University Rank
Eligibility for MBBS in Singapore
Eligibility criteria for NUS (National University of Singapore) include the following:
- Senior school diploma or Class XII.
- Successfully cleared UEE (University Entrance Examination).
- Senior school and high school completion certificates.
- Successfully obtained pass marks in five subjects, inclusive of English.
- Re-application via this route includes submission of a medical portfolio.
- 500-word personal statement.
- Co-curricular activity list.
- Two referees to be nominated who will complete the referee report online.
- Official high school or junior college certificate.
Eligibility Criteria for Nanyang Technological University
- Completion of twelve years of education or appearing for high school final year.
- NTU entrance examination passing score.
- 300-word personal statement.
- Test score in BMAT.
- Online referee report from at least two people.
- Pass a standardized set of vaccination and screening requirements as declared by the Singapore Ministry of Health.
- Interview of students who are shortlisted.
- Declaration of criminal records.
- Non-academic accomplishments.
- IELTS/TOEFL scores for demonstrating proficiency in the English language.
How to Apply for MBBS in Singapore and Official Requirements
Students completing high school diplomas can apply directly to this educational course. Students may apply directly through the official websites of the universities in Singapore.
Scholarships for MBBS in Singapore
Here are some of the available options:
MOE Tuition Grant Scheme- International students have eligibility for borrowing a loan amount after receiving the letter of invitation from the host educational institution. The borrower should sign the bond for three years and remain back after completing the course to repay the money for the grant. The deadline is dependent on the host institution.
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship- The ASEAN Scholarship helps repay the remainder of the tuition fees after the MOE scheme is sanctioned. Living costs are rough S$4206.42 (approx INR 2.36 lakh) and three institutions provide the same, namely the National Technical University (NTU), National University of Singapore (NUS), and Singapore Management University (SMU).
Dr Goh Keng Swee Scholarship- This Dr GKS Scholarship is available for those coming from Cambodia, Brunei, India, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, Taiwan, PRC, Philippines, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand. This is available at institutions like NTU, NUS, SUTD, SMU and applicants should have leadership attributes and extra-curricular accomplishments. The scholarship offers coverage for airfare, tuition costs and more.
Many other scholarships are available at institutions like the SMART Scholarship Program and NUS undergraduate scholarship. Applicants should have a GPA of 3.8 and higher, while the ACT score should be 31. The SAT score should also be 1430.
MBBS Jobs in Singapore- Key details
The average study cost per annum is S$28,004 (INR 15.68 lakh). Since you are paying a generous amount of fees, you can also expect generous returns in terms of job opportunities. S$97,299-1,11,184 per year is the average pay scale for physicians in the city-state. This works out from roughly INR 54.48 lakh to INR 62.26 lakh. Employment opportunities abound in the private and public healthcare sectors for skilled graduates.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the scope of MBBS in Singapore?
Singapore has always had an efficient healthcare system in place. In 2000, WHO ranked it as the sixth-best health system in the world. Bloomberg ranked Singapore’s healthcare system the most efficient in the world in 2014. Singapore was ranked 1st on the Global Food Security Index in 2019. This is an indicator of the lucrative careers MBBS graduates can have in Singapore. Starting salaries are handsome for physicians in general practice and senior specialist doctors alike. The healthcare facilities in the city-state are some of the highest-rated in the world.
Which English proficiency test is required to study MBBS in Singapore?
International students have to show their proficiency in the English language, by submitting IELTS/TOEFL scores. Average IELTS scores usually stand at 6.5 for getting admission into institutions.
MBBS in Singapore for Indian students fees amounts to how much?
The tuition costs in Singapore stand at roughly S$1,590-2,636 (INR 89,040-1.48 lakh) for students monthly. Added costs also stand at S$500 (INR 28,000) monthly.
Can Indian students do MBBS in Singapore?
Yes. Singapore allows international students, including Indians, to pursue MBBS. There are several reasons to pursue MBBS in Singapore including world-class education at affordable costs. The eligibility criteria include 10+2 education. The NTU entrance examination passing score is another criterion along with the test score in BMAT. A personal statement of 300-500 words is also needed, along with an online referee report from at least two individuals.
- Hotel Management Course in Singapore
- Ph.D. in Singapore: Universities, Fees & Scholarships
- MBA in Finance in Singapore
✓End to end Visa/Application support