The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) came into existence in July 1991. It is one of the largest public-status universities in Singapore, offering high-quality education in several sectors. Notably, NTU became an autonomous university in 2006 and is held high in regard amongst several international institutes.
Being a research-oriented institute, the Nanyang Technological University’s acceptance rate is naturally on the competitive spectrum. With over 24,000 full-time undergraduate and 9,500 graduate students, NTU chooses individuals with top-notch academic performances.
Hence, the Nanyang technological university admissions requirements are competitive. One can choose from a wide array and types of courses at NTU, classified into the following categories:
- Undergraduate programs
- Graduate programs
- Continuing education programs
- Double degree
- Special program
Scroll ahead to know more details about this remarkable technological institute.
Before knowing parameters like Nanyang technological university admission criteria, one must familiarize oneself with the rankings.
According to the popular Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) rankings 2023, NTU stands at an impressive #19 across the globe as per QS World University Rankings. Also, Times Higher Education positions this institute at #46 in its 2022 rankings.
These numbers are a testament to NTU’s stellar position as an esteemed global university.
Nanyang technological university acceptance rate (General)
As one can observe, the high rankings of NTU indicate tough Nanyang technological university admission criteria. According to the university, there are limited available spaces for academic courses. In addition, the admission points keep changing every year.
Hence, the acceptance rate of NTU keeps on fluctuating. Still, one must pay thorough attention to the requirements and eligibility criteria.
Nanyang Technological University- Admission/eligibility criteria
The question, ‘how to get admission in Nanyang technological university?’ is common among students. For this purpose, it is vital to note the admission criteria.
To acquire entry into undergraduate programs, students should fulfill the following parameters:
- Minimum 90% grades in all subjects in standard 12th (Exclusions: Home Science, Art, Fashion Design)
- Good JEE-Advanced ranking can prove helpful (Not mandatory)
- Acceptable grades in English proficiency tests (If English wasn’t the medium of learning)
On the other hand, students aspiring to pursue a Master’s level course need to match the following aspects:
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree (Minimum 1st Class Honors)
- Valid GATE, GRE, IELTS, or TOEFL scores
- Research proposal
- Work experience (Not mandatory)
Overall, the nature of Nanyang technological university admissions requirements is highly competitive.
At NTU, one must provide original transcripts of required documents. This way, the admission committee can evaluate a candidate thoroughly.
Here is the general list of documents that students need to apply to their desired program:
- Educational results (Marksheets)
- University transcript
- English proficiency test score sheet
- Letters of recommendation (Not mandatory)
- Statement of Purpose (For graduate courses)
Moreover, the list of documents for applying to NTU is generic and similar to most international universities. However, students need to provide English proficiency test scores only if the medium of instruction is not English.
Tests required/Average scores
To gain admission in undergraduate courses, a student should score at least 90% in English and other subjects. Also, if English was not the language of learning, here are the minimum scores for establishing linguistic proficiency:
- IGCSE O-level: Grade A
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 90
- SAT: 1,250
- PTE: 55
- ACT: 30
Indian students do not need to prepare and appear for the NTU entrance exam. In case of graduate requirements, students need to score the following minimum marks in respective exams:
- GRE: 319
- GATE: 90% and above
- TOEFL: 600
- TOEFL (iBT): 100
- IELTS: 6.5
So, it is evident that the Nanyang technological university admission criteria are competitive.
NTU has a glorious history of offering a top-notch education to local and international students. For instance, the university has five subject areas in the global top 10.
Here are the most popular subject domains at NTU:
- Material Science
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Communication and Media Studies
- Civil and Structural Engineering
Apart from these courses, the Nanyang Technological University is well-known for the following programs:
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Library and Information Management
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
So, students interested in technology can find a nurturing environment at this renowned institute.
How does the university evaluate applicants?
The Nanyang technological university admissions requirements and process is straightforward. Students need to apply online to the desired course from the comfort of their house.
Notably, the entire process is relatively self-explanatory. After paying the application fee, one should submit the required documents.
After the end of this process, the NTU admission committee follows the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) approach. First, the panel evaluates applicants based on scores and other relevant parameters.
Next, they shortlist the applicants for undergoing individual interviews in front of the Program Director. Also, candidates need to take part in a group team building stage. This interview aims to assess the following factors:
- Communication skills
- Ethical decision making
Hence, NTU follows a holistic approach to choosing the most deserving candidates.
Tips for applying to the Nanyang Technological University
Although NTU is challenging for admissions, students can still plan effectively for the application process.
For this purpose, one can follow these helpful tips:
- Create a concise resume: Avoid technical jargon and create a simplistic resume that is scannable and authentic
- Ensure verification of documents: Before submitting the required set of papers, ensure that all the information is accurate and up-to-the-point
- Keep an eye on the dates: NTU is quite particular about the application deadlines. Hence, students should always visit the official website and verify the essential dates
- Showcase your achievements: A good way to impress the admission committee is by uploading additional accomplishments like a good GRE scorecard. This way, students can compensate for factors like fewer internships or low grades in the undergraduate tenure
- Visit appropriate links: NTU has dedicated pages for the Office of Admissions, the Enquiry page, and scholarship pages containing official information. So, students should scan these pages before filing the application form
Overall, proper planning and thorough scanning of the official NTU website is crucial in the entire process.
The Nanyang Technological University divides the academic programs into different categories. Notably, the admission deadlines differ for every group.
Here are the important dates for one’s perusal:
- Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level: 19 March 2023
- Diploma: 01 to 21 February 2023
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 31 October 2022 to 21 February 2023
- High School Diploma: 01 December 2022 to 15 January 2023
- International Qualifications: 31 October 2022 to 21 February 2023
- Part–time Bachelor of Engineering: 01 December 2022 to 15 January 2023
For graduate programs, the last day to submit the documents for the August semester is 31 January. On the other hand, the final day for the January semester is 31 July.
✓End to end Visa/Application support