Stanford University was established in the year 1885 by California senator Leland Stanford and his wife, Jane. This private research university is officially known as Leland Stanford Junior University and is situated at Stanford in California, near Palo Alto. The campus covers a sprawling 8,180 acres, making it one of the biggest in the USA, with a total capacity of more than 17,000 students. The address of Standford University is 450, Jane Stanford Way, Stanford, CA 94305.
The university is ranked #3 in the QS World University Rankings 2022. This article discusses Stanford University fees and other details about the university.
Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance at Stanford University is divided into the following components:
1. Tuition Fees.
2. Miscellaneous Fees (Administrative, educational and on-campus fees).
3. Costs of Living- Accommodation, Books and materials/supplies, meals, transportation, etc.
Stanford University is a private research university situated in Stanford, California, United States of America (USA). When it comes to the Stanford University fees for tuition, here is the quarterly cost (as of AY 2021-22).
|GRADUATE ENGINEERING 8,9,10-UNIT RATE|
GRADUATE 11-18 UNITS
|GRADUATE 8,9,10-UNIT RATE|
EACH GRADUATE UNIT ABOVE 18
|GRADUATE ENGINEERING 11-18 UNITS|
EACH GRADUATE ENGINEERING UNIT ABOVE 18
|GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (M.B.A. PROGRAM—SECOND YEAR)*|
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (M.B.A. PROGRAM—FIRST YEAR)*
|SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (M.D. PROGRAM)*|
GSB & LAW JOINT PROGRAM**
PERMIT FOR SERVICES ONLY (PSO)
|TGR (TERMINAL GRADUATE REGISTRATION)|
PERMIT TO ATTEND (PTA)***
|MEDICAL SCHOOL RESEARCH RATE|
Students should cautiously note these additional Stanford University fees and mark the ones they need to apply:
1. Graduation Quarterly Fee- $150
2. VSR Monthly Fee- $1,177
3. Campus Health Service Fee- $232 per quarter
4. Document Fee- $250 as a one-time charge
5. ASSU (Associated Students of Stanford University) Fees- $174 (UG)-$45 (PG)
6. Other special fees include the new student orientation fee, law student services fee, late study list charges ($200), laboratory fees, dissertation fees, fees for special courses, and service fees for international scholars.
Cost of Living
Along with the Stanford University fees, students will also have to afford the living costs. Here is a guide for the same.
Accommodation Costs (per quarter) for Undergraduate Students
|Costs||House Dues – Mixed Class (educational and social programming)|
House Dues – All Freshers
(educational and social programming)
Technology Charges (telephone and internet)
All locations except Mirrielees and co-op houses
|$3,722 per quarter||$130 per quarter||$160 per quarter||$78 per quarter|
|Co-op houses (576 Alvarado, Columbae, Enchanted Broccoli Forest, Hammarskjold, Kairos, Synergy, Terra)||$3,242 per quarter||$130 per quarter||N/A|
$78 per quarter
|$4,162 per quarter||$130 per quarter||N/A|
$78 per quarter
Additional costs include parking charges, costs of cable services, etc. Graduate students have to pay approximately $1,003-3,494 per month as accommodation costs, depending on the type of home, the number of rooms, location, etc.
Meal Costs for Students
1. Dining hall meal plans for students cost approximately $6,693 for three quarters or the entire session.
2. Students may also enjoy meals from $5.75 onwards at dining halls.
Summing up Living Costs
1. Accommodation- $20,955 per year
2. Food- $8,520 per year
3. Miscellaneous Costs- $8,740 per year
4. Books and Materials- $1,315 per year
5. Transportation Costs- $1,840 per year
6. Campus Health Service- $928 per year
7. Health Insurance- $6,192 per year
These are estimated living costs and may vary depending on your chosen accommodation, lifestyle preferences, etc. Students may have to spend approximately $48,490 per year in living costs.
Disclaimer! All course fees/salaries/expenses are indicative.