Master’s in information systems in Canada
The Master’s in Information Systems (MIS) in Canada combines information systems analysis and computer science with a resultant focus on business studies. The Master’s in information systems in Canada is, at its core, instructive and gives students an understanding and knowledge of the diverse and important topic of Information Systems.
- Clear All
Master of Science in Business Administration in Management Information Systems (MSCB)
The University of British Columbia, Canada
Aimed at students interested in research, the UBC MSc in Business Administration is a challenging and rigorous program designed to prepare students for a PhD program and a subsequent career in academia.
As an MSc student, you will not only become part of a rich and stimulating academic community with a strong research emphasis, but you will also enjoy the opportunity to work with the best research faculty in Canada.
Information Systems Security (MEng)
Concordia University, Canada
The MEng in Information Systems Security trains students to design, implement and manage the security of real-life information systems. Through applied research and academic coursework, you will examine the theories and practices currently used in the security of information systems. You will have access to state-of-the-art laboratories and research centres in a faculty whose areas of study include cyber forensics, database security and cryptography, among many other categories. Some examples of current research projects include quantitative models of network vulnerabilities, analysis and design of stream ciphers and security evaluations of open-source softwares.
INTAKE SESSIONSEP 2023
More courses at Concordia UniversityView All
Information Systems (MSc (Mgt))
University of Lethbridge, Canada
The Individualized Multidisciplinary major allows students to do research and works to facilitate critical dialogues across academic disciplinary areas. The program provides students with a range of theories and methods specific to their research interests and is designed to provide a unique graduate experience in the sciences.
Master of Information Systems Assurance Management
Concordia University of Edmonton, Canada
INTAKE SESSIONAUG 2023
More courses at Concordia University of EdmontonView All
In addition, the Master’s in information systems in Canada provides students with a solid and rooted foundation in MIS studies and teaches them the use of information systems in business platforms. The primary study done in the MIS program is the in-depth knowledge of the collaboration of human input and technology to produce better output for various business disciplines and utilizing this massive knowledge base for the advancement of businesses. This postgraduate degree spans one to two years, either part-time or full-time, and costs approximately CAD$10,000–25,000, along with living expenses.
Why study the course in Canada
Studying Master’s in information systems in Canada has innumerable benefits, as fourteen of the best universities in the world that provide the discipline are located in Canada.
- Quality Education: Master’s in information systems in Canada is the best option for students pursuing this discipline and making it a career choice. The degree is recognized globally. Canada houses top-of-the-chain universities. The various hands-on experience and practical explanations of the discipline are imparted to the students in these universities by experienced teachers.
- Career Opportunities: The discipline offered by Canadian universities is diverse. Master’s in information systems in Canada has a rewarding career growth of 30 to 40 %. For the students, the scope for research and further studies is also possible.
- International exposure: Toronto, the third largest technology hub in North America, offers exposure to various business and organizational platforms. In addition, the world of technology and business is open to students.
- Support for international students: with the university's strategic knowledge, international students get excellent career opportunities and placements. The universities provide all-around support to their international students.
- Cost-effectiveness: With scholarships and other privileges available, studying Master’s in information systems in Canada is cost-effective.
Master’s in Information Systems in Canada: Course Highlights
|Degree/ University||Duration||Average fees in CAD||Course Type||General Eligibility||Exam required|
|MS in Information Systems at Queen’s University of Kingston||1 - 2 years||15,096||Full-time|
|MS in Information Systems at Athabasca University||1 to 2 years||27,482||Full-time|
|MS in Information Systems at York University/MA in Information Systems and Technology||1- 2 years||31,375||Full-time||4-year Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field with 77-79% as average. Bachelor’s degree in any other field is allowed with work experience of 5 years. Other requirements include three LORs, a resume, a 1-2 page statement of interest, and a GRE score of 2,000 or more.|
|MS in Information Systems at Concordia University /MASc in Information Systems Security | MEng in Information Systems Security||1 - 2 years||28,710 | 29,925||Full-time|
|MS in Information Systems at UBC (University of British Columbia)/MS in Business Administration: Management Information Systems||1- 2 years||18,442||Full-time|
Types of Master’s in information systems in Canada
The universities in Canada provide the following degrees,
- MS in Information Systems: Canadian universities provide students with MS in information systems and other disciplines.
- MAS in Information Systems: the comprehensive and in-depth studies of information systems and other technical studies that are imparted to students give them a wide window of opportunities after graduation.
- MEng in Information Systems
- MA in Information Systems
Best universities for Master’s in information systems in Canada
The universities providing Master’s in information systems in Canada have specific mandatory requirements for native and international students. These requirements are as follows-
- Educational qualifications: 4-year undergraduate degree with an average of 77%. Two academic references are needed with a statement of interest and career objectives, a resume, GRE or GMAT test scores, an Undergraduate degree with 76% or Grade B+, and three academic references, etc.
- Standardized tests: Proof of ability to communicate in English. Students who do not speak English as a first language must submit one of the following: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.
- English language proficiency test: different universities require different scores for the English language proficiency test.
- Queen’s university- IELTS: 7.5 TOEFL: 100
- York university - IELTS: 7.0 TOEFL: 90
- Athabasca university - IELTS: 6.0 TOEFL: 80
- Concordia University - IELTS: 6.5 TOEFL: 85
- The University of British Columbia - IELTS: 7.0 TOEFL: 100
- Technical requirements: the technical requirements vary from university to university, but generally, a UG degree in any relevant or cognate discipline is required for admission.
Courses and curricula vary according to the guidelines provided by the universities, and the structure and steps taken for course completion vary from university to university. The opportunities provided to students also vary accordingly,
QS World Ranking
Average Fees in CAD
Queen’s University, Kingston
January 9, 2023
Fall: March 1, 2023, | Winter: October 1, 2023
University of York
February 15, 2023
CAD 28,710 | 29,925
Fall: June 1, 2023
Winter: October 1, 2023
Summer: February 1, 2023
University of British Columbia
MS in Business Administration: Management Information Systems
No Dates have been Announced for the 2023 Batch
Course curriculum in Master’s in information systems in Canada
The students are taught in several methods, and many different curriculums give students intricate knowledge of information systems. Though the course work varies from the program offered in the universities, some general study methods are as follows,
Some of the most common subjects in the curriculum of Master’s in Information Systems in Canada are as follows:
- Research Methodology
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Advanced Web Mining
- Cloud Computing Systems
- Advanced Information Management
- Health Information Systems
- Applied Optimization in IS
- Blockchain and Financial Technologies
- Crypto-Protocol and Network Security
- Operating Systems Security
Eligibility criteria for Master’s in information systems in Canada
There are strict eligibility criteria for the Master’s in information systems in Canada, and most of the universities require a four-year bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject,
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- English proficiency test
- 4-year UG degree with an average of 77%
- Undergraduate degree in information systems, computer science, or a related area
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Undergraduate degree with minimum GPA listed by the institution.
- GMAT or GRE scores.
- IELTS or TOEFL scores.
Admission Requirements for Master’s in information systems in Canada
- Documents required: the admission process requires some important documents, which are listed below,
- Official transcripts and their scanned copies
- Proof of identification- Copy of passport
- Resume/ CV- detailing previous work experience and internships
- Proof of funds
- Optional GRE/ GMAT score
- Personal statement- outlining why you wish to study the course
- Interview- May be conducted by some popular universities.
- Scores of English proficiency test scores like PTE, TOEFL, and IELTS.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Completed application forms: all universities require completed online application forms with all details that are asked for.
- Transcripts: official transcripts and their copies are mandatory submissions for all Canadian universities.
- Standardized test scores: all standardized test scores like IELTS or equivalent are required.
- English language proficiency: English proficiency test scores like TOEFL and IELTS are required for international students whose first language is not English.
- Additional application materials: Some universities also ask applicants to submit a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and a CV or resume.
- Proof of identity: A copy of a passport or other government-issued proof of identity is required.
- Financial support documents: International students may need to submit financial support documents such as bank statements or a letter from a sponsor or guardian.
Exam requirements for Master’s in information systems in Canada
The study information systems in Canada have certain exam requirements for students applying to these universities; English language proficiency tests like IELTS and TOEFL are required for admission. GRE and GMAT scores are sometimes necessary.
Visa Requirements and work experience:
Along with completing the entry requirements, there are other requirements like the Visa requirements and documentation.
- Passport details
- A recent passport-size photograph
- Acceptance letter from a recognized UK institution
- Certificate of English language proficiency
- Proof of sufficient funds: 1,015 GBP (outside London) or 1,265 GBP (London)
- Proof of funds can be demonstrated with the help of bank statements, loan statements, or scholarship letters.
- Proof of Acceptance: Applicants enrolled at a designated learning institute (DLI) must submit a letter of acceptance along with the application.Proof of Identity: Applicants and family members who are accompanying them must submit the following documents as proof of identity:-
- A valid passport or travel document.
- Birth Certificate
Admission process for Master’s in information systems in Canada:
- Research Universities and Check the requirements: Comparing the courses offered and the compatibility with the applicant is necessary.
- Complete the application form: the online application forms must be completed with diligence.
- Submit the required documents: all necessary documents should be submitted properly and with proof.
- Submit additional application materials: if the university asks for additional documents like a CV, recommendations, and other documents should be submitted.
- Decision: After completing the application process, the university takes time to revert and let the students know about the admission. The university solely decides according to certain criteria.
Cost of studying Master’s in information systems in Canada:
There are many costs involved with studying Master’s in Information systems in Canada.
The costs vary according to the universities and the programs they offer; the pre-arrival costs include the program application fees—visa application fees. In addition, IELTS fees, airfare, and health insurance should be considered.
Different universities charge different fees and have varying fee structures. In addition, the living costs and food costs should all be considered and researched. Thus, the costs will depend on the varied situational programs and different university fee structures.
Scholarship for Master’s in information systems in Canada
There are different programs and scholarships given to students.
Award Details (CAD)
Canada Graduate Scholarships
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall aggregate of 75%, research potential, relevant work experiences
17,500 for 12 months
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
Enrolled full-time at Queen’s University and York University
AU Award for Graduate Studies
Enrolled in master’s programs at Athabasca University
Concordia Merit Scholarship
Enrolled full-time at Concordia University
Concordia International Tuition Award of Excellence
Enrolled full-time at Concordia University
Job Scope for Master’s in information systems in Canada:
The scope and opportunities for graduates of this discipline are immense and varied. The market for information systems graduates is huge and gaining momentum at an unimaginable pace, and the salaries vary from company to company. There is no shortage of job opportunities for professionals in Canada and worldwide, and companies and organizations are always looking for good and potential graduates. There are several job opportunities available after completing MS in MIS in Canada. Average salaries may range between CAD$78,000–150,000.
Average Annual Salary (in CAD)
Business Systems Analyst
CAD$58,000 – CAD$92,000
Information Security Manager
CAD$75,000 – CAD$127,000
Cyber Security Analyst
CAD$49,000 – CAD$86,000
Senior Solutions Architect
CAD$100,000 – CAD$162,000
Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst
CAD$57,000 – CAD$91,000
The Master of Information Systems degree in Canada offers a verified and internationally recognized certificate, so graduates will have plenty of work options in various industries and organizations after completing the degree.
All information provided on this page is for general use and upGrad Abroad is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Any action taken upon the information found on this website is strictly at your own risk.