About the University of Michigan
The University of Michigan has a chequered history, founded way back in 1817 on 26th August, in Detroit, Michigan, USA. As of 2020, students at the institution were representative of 82 counties in Michigan, 139 countries and 50 states of the USA. The University of Michigan acceptance rate is 26.1% as of 2020.
It is ranked one in terms of research volumes amongst all public research universities in the USA with $887 million in annual federally sponsored research in 2020 and more than 1,500 student participants in the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program. Research expenditure stood at a whopping $1.62 billion for the institution in 2019. The institution reported 503 new inventions in 2020, with 33 new startups.
It has 102 graduate programs in the top 10 tally of the country as per U.S. News & World Report (2020) and a 97% retention rate for first-year students.
Famous Alumni of the University of Michigan
Some famous alumni include Marc Gurman, Katie Bouman, David Barger, Darren Criss, Daniel Hogsta (Nobel Laureate), Barry Larkin, Benj Pasek, Jerry White (Nobel Laureate), Christopher Paul Curtin, Tom Brady, Gavin Creek, Charles Woodson, Jalen Rose and Lauren Weiner to name a few.
Address of University of Michigan
The address of the University of Michigan is 500, S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA.
Public/Private Status of University of Michigan
The University is a public institution.
QS World University Rankings and Other Rankings
The QS World University ranking is 23 for the University of Michigan. The University of Michigan ranking is number 3 for National Undergraduate Public Universities in the U.S. News & World Report in 2020. It is also ranked the number one in the best small college towns in America in 2019 by Wallethub and number one in the QS World University Rankings in 2019-20 for U.S. Public Universities. Times Higher Education ranked it at number 15 in its World Reputation Rankings for 2019.
Top Offered Courses by University of Michigan
The leading courses at the institution include Bachelor of Science Dental Hygiene along with MIM, MBA, BBA, M.E and Master of Public health etc. Other popular courses include economics, experimental psychology, business administration and management, computer and information sciences, mechanical engineering, behavioural neuroscience, political science and government and more. Local University of Michigan fees (tuition) are $15,948 (INR 11.91 lakh) while they are $52,266 (INR 39.05 lakh) for domestic tuition costs in 2019-20.
Required Exams for University of Michigan
Following examinations need to be cleared before seeking University of Michigan admissions:
- IELTS- Minimum scores of 6.0-7.0 across study levels.
- TOEFL iBT- Minimum score of 80.
- SAT(1340-1530 out of 1600)/ACT(31-34) score for UG admissions.
- GRE scores in the 50th percentile in all testing areas.
- GPA requirement of 3.8
University of Michigan Requirements for Admissions
- UG admissions require either the Coalition or Common Application.
- High school and other bachelor’s degree transcripts (depending on the study level) along with all academic mark sheets.
- High school report and a teacher evaluation for UG applicants.
- Scores in tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- Undergraduate degree for those applying to PG courses with a GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0.
- GRE scores.
- Three LORs (Letters of Recommendation).
Available Scholarships for University of Michigan
- Blavin (Paul and Amy) Scholars Fund
- Home for the Holidays Scholarship
- Armstrong (Chris) Scholarship
- Alumnae Council Scholarship
- EEOC/Ford Scholarship Program
- Iden (Thomas M.) Scholarship Trust
- General Motors Opportunity Scholarship
- King Jr. (Martin Luther) Scholarship
- Lee (Herbert H.) Scholarship
- MUSIC Matters Scholarship Fund
- LEO Union Scholarship
- Samson Fund
- Parsigian (Robert and Rose).
- SSGT Ergin V. Osman Scholarship Fund
- U-M Faculty and Staff Scholarship Fund
- Safran (Thomas) Family Scholarship
- Zelenock (Mary Kate) Memorial Scholarship
- Ernst (Robert and Deborah) Scholarship
- Camp Michigania Scholarship
- George (William Hamby and Libbie B.) Scholarship
- Harrison (Gus) Scholarship
- Gavett (George Irving) Scholarship
- Verdier Scholarship Fund
- Robbins (Frank E.) Memorial Scholarship)
- The University of Michigan Alumni of China Scholarship Fund
- Mack (Rev. Hw Am and Vm Ernst) Scholarship
Placements at University of Michigan
The University of Michigan offers quality and industry-oriented education that enables its graduates to earn top-level employment after completing their programs. Graduates get the benefits of 95% job placements and 95% of job satisfaction alongside as per the university’s reports. Salaries may vary depending upon the education level and the industry.
The main employment sectors include consulting (15%), financial services and banking (10%), technology (35%), and consumer goods and services (6%). The average salaries hover between $60,000-99,000 at the institution. Leading companies and corporates highly covet U-M students in industry and business sectors.
✓End to end Visa/Application support