There is a sizable demand for journalism courses in the USA, more so for the exciting future prospects in the field. Journalism covers several aspects of the news broadcast, entertainment and other industries, including anchoring, reporting, editing, management, production, and more. Media, mass communication and journalism are some of the biggest industries today in the USA.
Why pursue a course from the USA?
- Numerous reputed universities with globally recognized degrees.
- Thriving media and journalism industry with great job opportunities.
- Opportunities for internships and hands-on learning.
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates an increase in jobs for journalists and reporters by 12% between 2018 and 2028. Those with master’s degrees can earn $17,000 higher per annum than their bachelor’s counterparts.
Levels of Study
There are varying journalism courses in USA admission requirements with courses at both bachelors and masters levels. The former usually requires four years (BS or BA) while the latter usually takes 1-2 years.
Top Journalism Courses in USA Universities
Here are the top universities for the subject, along with an idea of the approximate journalism courses in USA fees.
QS World University Ranking 2022 (Communication & Media Studies)
University of Southern California
BA Journalism, MS Journalism and more
$63,468 (12-18 units for two semesters)
University of Texas at Austin
Journalism- Lower Division and Upper Division Courses
Master’s Program in Journalism
University of Pennsylvania
MOOC: English for Journalism or Journalistic Writing, Minor
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Undergraduate and Graduate Courses in Mass Communication
Michigan State University
BA, MA and PhD in Journalism
New York University
MA in Journalism
University of California Berkeley
Undergraduate Journalism Minor, Master’s of Journalism
University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Screen Studies
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Master of Science in Journalism
Eligibility for the course/ Who can take up this course
The journalism courses in USA eligibility requirements vary across institutions. Some of the general journalism courses in USA requirements include the following:
- English language proficiency scores (IELTS/TOEFL).
- Academic transcripts.
- Scores in standardized tests (SAT/PTE/GRE).
- 10+2 with physics and mathematics for bachelor’s courses and bachelors degree with at least 65-75% or B+ as the grade for masters programs.
- SOP, proof of funds, work samples if needed, health insurance documents, and personal essays.
- Letters of Recommendation.
Some specializations include broadcast (television, radio), print (magazines, newspapers), digital/online, and photojournalism.
Subjects You Study
Some of the common journalism courses in USA subjects include the following:
- Media law
- Digital storytelling
- Documentary journalism
- Journalism history
- Writing, editing, and reporting
- Journalism design and graphics
- Broadcast journalism
- Enterprise journalism
- Political journalism
- Sports journalism
- Mass communication
- Science and environmental journalism
Job prospects & Expected remuneration
Journalism always offers exciting future career prospects in the USA. Some of the top job positions include the following:
- Technical Writer
- Broadcast News Anchor
- Radio Commentator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Communications/Journalism Professor
Here are some job roles with their average salaries:
- Journalist- $50,000
- Video Producer- $60,000
- Communications Manager- $68,000
- News Anchor- $72,000
- Editor- $63,000
- News Reporter- $43,000
Can I study journalism in the USA?
Yes, you can study journalism in the USA, for the reputed universities teaching the course in the country, along with its excellent future career prospects. Journalism ensures a fulfilling career with ample growth opportunities.
Is the USA good for journalism?
The USA is one of the top countries to study journalism, and is home to several reputed universities for the subject. It is also home to a thriving media and communications industry, with ample opportunities for graduates.
✓End to end Visa/Application support