The University of Nebraska Kearney (UNK) is a public university situated in the city of Kearney, Nebraska, United States of America (USA). The university previously began as the Nebraska State Normal School in 1905 and took its present form several years later, in 1991.
The University of Nebraska Kearney, USA, founded in 1903, now offers 170 majors and multiple levels of programs – undergraduate, graduate, and pre-professional level courses. The current total undergraduate enrollment stands at 4,385 in the fall 2020 intake, while it has about 1,620 graduate students, making it a prevalent choice in the region.
The official mailing address for the university is 2504 9th Avenue, Kearney, USA 68849.
University of Nebraska, Kearney ranking is at #34 among the top public universities in the Midwest, as per the US News & World Report 2022. According to Times Higher Education 2019 rankings, the university ranks among the top 800 colleges in the USA.
University of Nebraska Kearney, USA, is spread across 501 acres. It comprises 49 buildings for the contiguous campus and other non-academic purposes. There are several residence halls on the UNK campus, such as Antelope Hall, Nester Hall, Centennial Towers West and Centennial Towers East.
The university campus also houses state-of-the-art classroom buildings with modern equipment. You will also find the UNK Health and Sports Center inside the campus, with all the locker facilities, athletic weight area, wrestling, martial arts, rest room facilities, and more.
Office of Research Development at the University of Nebraska Kearney provides personal consultations to students on their research and creative endeavors. The university focuses on a collaborative environment that provides resources and space required for top-notch research and creative activities.
The official language of instruction and research at the University of Nebraska Kearney, USA, is English.
The University of Nebraska Kearney offers 121 undergraduate majors, 21 pre-professional programs, and 54 graduate programs. In addition, you can also choose from 11 certificate programs. You can apply for admission to the University of Nebraska Kearney, USA, for the Fall, Spring, and Summer intakes. It is added benefit for students even if they miss an admission cycle.
Since there are multiple levels of study here, the University of Nebraska Kearney admission process varies accordingly. If you are an international student, you should start working on the admission process six months before the start date.
Preparing ahead of the admission deadline ensures you have enough time for credential evaluations, admission decisions, visa process, and accommodation setup, amongst other tasks. Prospective candidates must submit an online application, which can be easily found on the university website.
You will also be asked to pay an application fee of USD 45 for undergraduate applications and USD 50 for graduate applications. The University of Nebraska Kearney admission requirements include:
- SAT or ACT scores
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Essays demonstrating motivation for the program
- Recommendation letters
Usually, the admission decisions are based on the student’s academic records, making it moderately competitive to get into the school. University of Nebraska Kearney’s acceptance rate stands at 88%, out of which 69% of students are awarded scholarships.
In terms of the SAT/ACT scores, the university admits applicants with an SAT score between 960 and 1100, whereas the ACT score must be between 19 and 26.
The university academic calendar for the Fall semester of 2022 is as follows:
- July 15: Application for Fall graduation begins
- August 22 to December 16: The duration of the Fall semester of 2022
- August 26: Last day for registration and to drop a full-semester course for a 100% refund
- August 27: Late registration begins
- September 2: Last day to drop a course and receive a 75% refund
- September 22: Last day to submit tuition and fee without penalty
- December 12-15: Finals week
The list of holidays for Fall 2022 includes:
- September 5: Labor Day
- October 17-18: Fall break
- November 23: Student holiday
- November 24-27: Thanksgiving vacation
- December 23-January 2: Offices closed for holidays
The University of Nebraska at Kearney, USA, offers undergraduate, graduate, pre-professional, and certification programs. Here are some of the top courses according to the level of study.
BA, B.S. in Advertising and Public Relations
M.S. in Biology
Advanced Occupational Safety Professional Certificate
B.S. in Cyber Security Operations
M.A. ED in General Kinesiology and Sports Science
Health Information Management
Post-Bachelorette Transitional Certification Program
B.S in Information Networking and Telecommunications Comprehensive
Master of Business Administration, M.B. A
Medical Laboratory Science
Supply Chain Management Certificate
B.S. in Molecular Biology Comprehensive
M.A. in Public Communication
Software Quality Assurance Certificate
B.S. in Sports Management
ED. S in School Psychology
Professional Sales Certificate
Overall, the most popular courses at the University of Nebraska Kearney are:
- Business Administration and Management
- Operations Management and Supervision
- Biology/Biological Sciences
- Elementary Education and Teaching
- Parks, Recreation, and Leisure Studies
- Family and Consumer Economics and Related Services
- General Studies
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching
- Social Work.
The required credit hours for completing these courses will vary according to your study level. For instance, all the business courses at the university are taught at the Nebraska Business Honors Academy, which combines a rigorous curriculum with approximately 40 credit hours worth of cohort-based courses.
Read More About Leading Universities in USA:
The University of Nebraska Kearney, USA, allows students to explore their interests beyond academics. The Student Engagement Office offers numerous opportunities to do so with quality, inclusive programs, events, services, and, not forget, 180 student organizations.
Through these clubs and societies, you will connect with your peers, find community and support, and hone leadership skills – skills that will aid your post-graduation. Some of the featured clubs at the University of Nebraska Kearney, USA:
- Loper Programming and Activities Council
- Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Office of Student and Family Transitions
- Kearney Student Speech Language Hearing Association
The University of Nebraska Kearney truly believes in the importance of diversity and attracts over 300 international students to the university campus.
The Academic Advising and Career Development department at the University of Nebraska Kearney is responsible for supporting students’ individual career goals and integrating career development with academic advice. Some of the initiatives of this department for the well-being of student careers are
- Handshake – you receive the aid to complete or update your profile, search for the right jobs, visit virtual career events hosted by employers, talk via an appointment with a career advisor
- Extensive Interview – use a webcam to practice and prepare for online/video job interviews (the university has hundreds of pre-recorded questions and great tutorials)
- FOCUS 2 – take career assessments, understand what careers are associated with specific majors, and research occupations based on industry
- Resume critiques – send in your resume to email@example.com to receive feedback
The average starting salary of UNK graduates in the first year after passing school is USD 42,000. Some notable alumni of the university are:
- Tyrus, American wrestler
- Sean Covel, American producer
- Joba Chamberlain, professional baseball pitcher
- Daniel Kritenbrink, American diplomat
Knowing a university’s fee structure is essential before taking the decision to pursue a course. As per US News & World Report, the average in-state University of Nebraska Kearney fee is USD 7,940, whereas the out-of-state tuition fees are USD 15,320.
It is advised that you check the specific web page for your desired course at UNK to get an exact value for your program’s fees. Moreover, check the expenses apart from tuition to attain an approximate cost of attendance at the university for your reference.
✓End to end Visa/Application support