New Zealand is one of the most preferred study abroad destinations for international students to pursue master’s courses and research degrees. The island nation is not just known for its picturesque landscape and adventure quotient but is also home to some pioneering research institutions and world-class MS courses. Most MS courses offered at universities in New Zealand are two-year programs that combine theoretical knowledge with field experience. This helps students acquire skills to land global brands. Globally recognized universities and ranked education systems allow international students to opt for a lucrative career after MS in New Zealand. The study and living expenses can be quite affordable if planned well. New Zealand universities offer two intake cycles, July and February. Below are details of popular courses, costs, universities, eligibility, and admission requirements for MS in New Zealand for Indian students.
Read More: How to get student visa for New Zealand
Table of Contents
- List of universities for MS in New Zealand
- Why study Master’s in New Zealand
- Master’s course types in New Zealand
- Master’s cost and fee in New Zealand
- Admission requirements for MS in New Zealand
- Cost of MS in New Zealand for Indian students
- How to apply for MS in New Zealand?
- Job opportunities in New Zealand after MS
List of universities for MS in New Zealand
New Zealand has only eight universities, and notably, all of them are placed in the global top 3%. The institutes are well-reputed for their innovative teaching methodology and research capabilities. The country’s higher education system was ranked 16th in the world in the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2018. The top 8 universities in New Zealand for MS programs are listed below:
|Duration||Course||Fee structure (approx)|
|University of Auckland||2 years||MSc in Computer Science||INR 24 lakh|
|University of Otago||2 years||MS in Computer Science||INR 29.5 lakh|
|University of Massey||1.5 years||MS in Information Technology||INR 25- 31 lakh|
|Victoria University of Wellington||2 years||MS in Data Science||INR 40 lakh|
|University of Waikato||1-1.5 years||MSc in Computer Science||INR 20 lakh|
|University of Canterbury||1 year||MS in Applied Data Science||INR 24.5 lakh|
Why study Master’s in New Zealand
● Many research and development opportunities are available as the universities allow students to team up with faculty for projects, work on live projects, participate in internship and research assistant opportunities. An MSc or MS in New Zealand is highly work-oriented.
● New Zealand universities offer a wide range of MS specializations that makes it easy for international students to pursue their area of interest. Popular specializations offered are artificial intelligence, machine learning, engineering, data science, network, web development, data management, and spatial information technology. All these specializations are popular worldwide and generate many job opportunities.
● The course duration ranges from 1-2 years. The post-graduate work permit (PGWP) is flexible for master’s students in New Zealand, which can be of 1,2 or 3 years based on the program. The degrees are industry-oriented; therefore, the chances of employment are high.
● An MS in New Zealand for Indian students is affordable compared to other top study destinations. It would cost roughly between INR 15-35 lakh a year.
● There are several loans, scholarships, grants, and funding options for international students to affordable the study cost. Full funding and partial funding aids are available in New Zealand like ADB Scholarship University of Auckland and Wellington Master’s by Thesis Scholarship.
● Around eight major academic institutions have been recognized by the QS World University Rankings 2021 for their teaching excellence and quality programs. This makes for globally recognized degrees and good career opportunities.
● New Zealand is the second safest country in the world, according to the Global Peace Index, 2021. Hence, the university campuses are safe and secure.
● New Zealand is a culturally diversified country with a cultural heritage integrated into the education system. International students are warmly welcomed, and they get integrated into the rich culture with ease.
● Permanent residency opportunities are available for students with a job offer in hand and the ability to prove their intent to stay in the country.
● New Zealand offers a popular student card that gives scholars access to several offers and discounts across food, clothes, travel, entertainment, and airfares.
Master’s course types in New Zealand
New Zealand offers master’s in various disciplines for international students from all backgrounds. The eight prestigious universities offer specialized and research-oriented graduate and post-graduate courses for students worldwide. Students from STEM backgrounds as well as commerce and humanities can choose from a taught master’s degree or a research master’s. Most master’s programs are two years, where the first year is based on a theoretical approach, and the final year is invested in research and internship. Of all the postgraduate degrees, MSc or MS in New Zealand is the choicest among the Indian students. Some of the top master’s courses in New Zealand are listed below:
● Master in Computer Science
● Master in Business Analytics
● Master in Engineering
● Master of Architecture
● Master in Commerce
● MSc Nursing
● Master of Management
● Master of Professional accounting
● Public Health
● MS in Mechanical Engineering
● MS in Data Science
● MS in Animation
● MS in Engineering
● MS in Business and Management
● MS in Computer Science
● Master in Data Analytics
● Master in Psychology
● Master in Law
● Master in Information Technology
Read More: IELTS Score for New Zealand
Master’s cost and fee in New Zealand
An MS degree in New Zealand is a prestigious one with worldwide acceptance. This makes it easier for students to look for job opportunities in foreign markets. The affordability of the programs is an added attraction for Indian students. Also, the cost of MS in New Zealand will depend upon whether the student is studying in a public or private university. MS in New Zealand fees stays roughly between INR 15-35 lakhs a year depending upon the university and specialization.
Admission requirements for MS in New Zealand
Students need to meet the following eligibility for admission to master’s.
● English language proficiency tests are prerequisites for admission to MS in New Zealand universities. TOEFL and IELTS scores are accepted. Non-native English speakers need to take the test, and the minimum IELTS score requirement is 6 in New Zealand universities. The test scorecard is an important document that must be submitted with the application.
● GRE and GMAT scores are compulsory admissions for students taking admission in MS programs in New Zealand. However, some universities waive the GRE score requirement if the students have prior work experience and good GPA scores.
● Another must-have document is the Statement of Purpose (SOP). An SOP is a unique formal statement submitted by every international student stating the goals, expectations, and reasons behind choosing New Zealand, a particular university, and a master’s course. One can also talk about achievements and goals after completion of the course.
● Letter of Recommendation (LOR) is also an admission prerequisite. Minimum 2-3 LOR are essential for students to submit at the time of application. The letter of recommendation should be from past employers or educational faculty members.
● Documentation that comprises all the academic history, extra-curricular activities, and employment. Academic records of recently passed out exams from the respective institutions.
● A bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, and engineering with a score of 60% and above is important from a recognized board of study for respective disciplines.
● A full-time study of 15 years, where a student must complete their 10+2+3 without any study gaps.
Read More: Vidya Lakshmi Portal for Education Loan
Cost of MS in New Zealand for Indian students
For aspirants wishing to pursue their master’s degree in New Zealand, it is imperative to be aware of the cost involved. Apart from the course fee, students will also have to bear living expenses of around INR 1,50,000-1,75,000 monthly for accommodation, food, travel, phone and internet, and entertainment. Students can bring down this cost depending on their lifestyle and their city. International students can also get student cards that give them access to several offers and discounts across food, clothes, and travel. Living costs in New Zealand are high, but tuition fee is comparatively affordable.
How to apply for MS in New Zealand?
New Zealand universities offer two intakes, July and February, for international students. Students need to apply to the universities along with the application form, documents and pay the application fee. Every university has its process of application. It is always recommended to apply to more than 2-3 universities without completely depending upon a single university as the competition is huge. It is important to take note of the application deadlines and meet them. To successfully apply for MS in New Zealand, students need to meet all the academic requirements followed by an online entrance exam or interviews as required by the respective university. Some of the essential steps of applying to a university in New Zealand are:
● Choose the right university.
● Find the best MS specialization or course.
● Get information about the fee structure, along with the admission and entry requirements.
● It is important to meet the English language proficiency requirements.
● Gather all the documents that are required. Explore funding options well in advance to get a clear view of your financial situation.
Job opportunities in New Zealand after MS
New Zealand is a developed country with a robust job market and opportunities for MS graduates. There are ample opportunities and scope for STEM background students with an MS degree from the top 8 New Zealand universities. New Zealand offers PGWP opportunities for more than three years, depending upon the MS programs. The average salary offered initially to an MS graduate in New Zealand is approximately INR 11,20,296 to 22,10,000 yearly. MS in data science, engineering, and computer science are some of the best paying courses in New Zealand. Below are the popular job opportunities in New Zealand after MS –
● Computer Software Designer
● Data Scientist
● Mechanical Engineer
● Computer Operators
● IT Consultant
● Data Mining
● Computer System Specialist Supervisor
● Program Manager
● Data Analysis
● Quality Assurance Analyst
● Production Manager
● Project Manager
● Software Engineer
● Programmer Analyst
● Research Analyst
● Full-stack developer
● Web designer
● Database Manager
To apply for an MS degree in New Zealand and know more about study requirements, get in touch with the academic counselors of upGrad Abroad today.
Read More: What documents are required for PCC issuance
Is the GRE score compulsory to study MS in New Zealand?
A GRE score is compulsory for a few top educational institutions. However, many universities waive the GRE score requirement for deserving students with high GPA scores. Also, those with prior work experience can easily avoid the GRE score requirement. Work experience and exposure are an added advantage for MS courses in New Zealand. It is important to check the university admission requirements at the time of application.
What are the requirements for a master’s in New Zealand?
For master’s in New Zealand, international students need to have a full-time graduation degree with 60% minimum marks in a related course from a recognized board/university. Students must study the subject in graduation that they are planning for masters. Other requirements are GRE scores, English language proficiency test scores, funding, letter of recommendation, SOP, and any other document required by the university.
How much does it cost to study MS in New Zealand?
Studying in New Zealand is affordable compared to other ranked study abroad destinations, including the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. On average, studying MS in New Zealand will cost between INR 24,00,000 to INR 35,00,000. The cost also depends on the university and program. However, there are scholarship programs available for meritorious students that can offer partial and full funding.
Is New Zealand good for Indian students?
New Zealand is the second safest country with a ranked education system. The prestigious universities for masters make it a popular study abroad destination for Indian students. The fee structure is affordable, and the popular student card makes things feasible. Permanent residency and post-study work opportunities are also available for international students.
How much is the international tuition fee in New Zealand?
New Zealand has an affordable fee structure for international students. It is a renowned study abroad destination for postgraduate programs. For master’s, the fee structure is between INR 24-35 lakh. There are scholarship programs for meritorious international students for an affordable study opportunity in New Zealand.