Looking for universities is an intimidating task. Pharmacology is a challenging and ever-evolving field, so you must look for top-tier universities to meet your expectations and future goals.
Pharmacology is the detailed study of drugs and how they affect the human body. With the help of this course, students learn how to research and invent new remedies for various physical and mental ailments. This subject includes the study of biology, chemistry, toxicology, and physiology.
The top universities for MS Pharmacology prepare their students with extensive research methodologies and the use of the latest research technology.
Specializations in Pharmacology
Pharmacology is a subject with a wide range of fields. An MS Pharmacology degree offers specializations in the areas listed below:
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Comparative Pharmacology
- Animal Pharmacology
Job Prospects after Completion of MS Pharmacology
MS Pharmacology is a vast degree that opens up doors for excellent opportunities. It is an ever-growing department that brings in several career options. Here are some of the employment scopes of a Pharmacology candidate, along with the expected salary as per various job sites:
- Research Scientist: USD 68,895
- Clinical Research Coordinator: USD 50,208
- Biological Science Laboratory Technician: USD 44,644
- Sr. Chemist: USD 81,472
- Research & Development Manager: USD 94,430
Top Universities of MS Pharmacology
University of Oxford
#1 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021: Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
- Status: Collegiate research university
MS Pharmacology at Oxford University is a one-year course taught from October to September. It includes three 10-week terms and a fourth summer term. The first term comprises lectures, tutorials, and practical work to provide students with the core knowledge of Pharmacology.
The cost structure of studying at Oxford University is as follows:
- Tuition fee: USD 34283
- Accommodation: USD 9795 – 11667
- Personal items: USD 1944 – 3745
- Study cost: USD 648 – 1440
- Social activities: USD 648 – 1728
The industry connections of MS pharmacology at Oxford University are as given below:
- Biotech Gate
- Syneos Health
- Life Sci advisors
- SV health investors
Here are a few alumni of Oxford University:
- Daniel C Anthony: Prof. of experimental Neuropathology
- Trevor Sharp: Prof. of Neuropharmacology
- Sridhar Vasudevan: Associate Prof. of Pharmacology and Drug Discovery
- Paolo Tamaro: Associate Prof. in Pharmacology
#2 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021: Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Status: Public research university
Monash University, located in Australia, ranks as the second top university for MS Pharmacology.
This master’s program for pharmacology teaches students about drug discovery and development pipeline. It includes a detailed investigation of the subjects mentioned below:
- Target identification
- Drug design and optimization
- Product formulation and analysis
- Clinical trials
- Regulatory processes
- Employability skills
In this course, the students deal with a wide range of learning methods like case studies, hypotheticals, and laboratory experience. This analysis method helps students identify and address critical issues and challenges in pharmaceutical and related industries.
The students are armed with hands-on experience in analytical, formulation, modeling, and other applicable practices of contemporary pharmaceutical science.
The cost structure of studying at Monash University is as follows:
- Tuition fee: USD 32,222 (The fee is likely to change annually)
- Accommodation: USD 166 – 209 (per week)
- Transport: USD 10 – 37 (per week)
- Food: USD 55 – 193 (per week)
- Entertainment: USD 55 – 103 (per week)
The industry links of Monash university:
- Comprehensive cancer center
- The Walter and Eliza Institute
- The Howard Florey Institute
- CSL limited
- The Ludwig Institute for cancer research
- CSIRO’s Division of Health Sciences
Alumni of Monash University:
- Brigid Mclerney: Pharma graduate, Outreach Pharmacist, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Kyall Homberg: Pharmacy graduate, Royal Melbourne Children’s Hospital
- Mei Hui Ma: Pharmacy graduate, Managing Director, The SKIN Pharmacy
#3 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021: Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Status: Private Ivy League Research University
At Harvard, the faculty of Pharmacology is committed to training the students about chemical approaches to forms and functions in biology. The main focus of research is to understand molecular mechanisms in biology and disease.
The students can benefit from para-curricular training resources, events, and training opportunities. Students enrolled in the graduate program can also participate in certificate programs. The area of concentration is as given below:
- Therapeutics certificate program
- Molecular mechanistic biology.
The cost structure of pursuing education at Harvard University is as listed below:
- Tuition fee: USD 67,610
- Books and supplies: USD 3,247
- Housing: USD 11,400
- Food: USD 5,610
- Miscellaneous: USD 4,906
The industry links of the university are:
- Kyowa Kirin
- Northpond Labs
Here are some of the alumni of Harvard University:
- Roger Adams: Pioneer organic chemist
- John Bartlett: Minister, Founder of Massachusetts General Hospital
- Hilary Blumberg: Professor of Psychiatric Neuroscience
University of Cambridge
#4 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021: Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Status: Collegiate public research institution
The University of Cambridge stands fourth in the top universities for MS Pharmacology. 15 to 20 students are accepted to this department every year. This course offers a student comprehensive facilities to study and research in purpose-built laboratories.
Here is a glance at a few areas that the research is based on:
- Investigation of mediators and mechanism of visceral pain in gastrointestinal diseases.
- Molecular and pharmacological regulation.
- Understanding epithelial cancer.
- Antimicrobial and anticancer drug resistance.
The cost structure of studying at the University of Cambridge is as follows:
- Tuition fee: USD 10952
- Living cost: USD 18332
The industry links of the University of Cambridge are as listed below:
- Clinical trials pharmacy
- Clinical trials unit
- UKCRF network
- Wolfson Brain Imaging Centre
Here are some of the alumni of the University of Cambridge:
- Tristan Bekinschtien: Biologist, neuroscientist
- Gilbert Smithson Adair: Protein scientist
- Sarah Bohdiek: Physicist
- Francis Aston: Physicist
University of Nottingham
#5 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021: Pharmacy & Pharmacology
- Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Status: Public research university
The University of Nottingham stands fifth in the top universities for MS Pharmacology. This course is provided as a one-year full-time course or two years full-time with one-year placement or two years part-time.
This program helps students develop the theoretical and practical skills required to pursue a pharmacology career. The students are taught the latest advances in commercial pharmacology science.
Here is a look at what the students study in this department:
- Cell Biology and physiology
- Biology of disease
- Research methods and Bioethics
The cost structure of studying at the University of Nottingham is:
- Tuition fee: USD 32375
The industry links of the University of Nottingham are as listed below:
- ONO Pharmaceuticals
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is Pharmacology a promising career?
Pharmacology offers several prospects in a research career and has vast opportunities in related fields.
Q2. Does pharmacology involve Chemistry?
It is a study of drugs and biology; hence it includes chemistry.
Q3. What is the best country to study pharmacology?
The best countries for Pharmacology are US and UK.
Q4. Are Pharmacology and Pharmacy the same?
Pharmacology focuses on the creation and study of drugs and their interaction with living beings, while Pharmacy work with patients to provide the drugs.