Explore Courses

get your Green Card by paying a Supplemental fee

Updated on 05 May, 2023

upGrad Abroad Team

upGrad Abroad Team

upGrad abroad Editorial Team

The United States of America is proposing a bill to fast-track the Green Card process for legal immigrants. This move will help the United States (US) government to clear the Green Card backlog. Indians can get a green card by paying a supplemental fee to avoid the queue and procure permanent residency, if passed. 

As per the Representatives Judiciary Committee, an employed applicant with a priority date of more than two years before will have to pay a $5000 supplemental fee. For immigrant investors (EB-5), the applicants will have to pay $50,000. Applicants with family sponsored by any US citizen with priority date of more than two years before will have to pay $2500. This  move will help ‘legal dreamers’, also known as children of H-1B visa holders, to receive permanent citizenship for more or less than 18 years. However, if the priority date is not within the two years then a supplemental fee of $1,500 will have to be paid. The US earmarks one lakh Green Card for employed applicants every year. India has an enormous backlog with a waiting time of 84 years, as more than 7.4 lakhs applicants are awaiting in the EB3 and EB2 categories.

Also Read: All about the cost of studying in USA!

Reacting to the news, David Bier, Immigration Policy Analyst, Cato Institute tweeted, “Employment-based applicants can adjust if they have waited two years from their priority date… this is almost like abolishing the EB caps for adjustment applicants who can pay $5K. Awesome.”

In a series of tweets, David also mentioned, “Basically, this bill will help a few legal immigrants abroad indirectly, but the main purpose is the integration of existing immigrants. That’s a noble cause, but the immigration/migration part of immigration reform is just left out. No new pathways for workers, the same system.”

Must Read: Key Requirements for Studying in the USA

If the bill passes, the IT professionals will get massive relief as maximum Information Technology graduates immigrate from India to the US every year on H-1B visas. However, the law is not in action yet as it has to pass the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Judiciary Committee and then be signed by the President.

A permanent residency card or green card is a legal document issued to the immigrant as a  proof that they can reside in the United States of America permanently.

Further Read: Study in the USA from India | A guide to settle in USA from India!

Did you find this article helpful?

upGrad Abroad Team

upGrad abroad Editorial Team

We are a dedicated team of study-abroad experts, ensuring intensive research and comprehensive information in each of our blogs. With every piece written, we aim at simplifying the overseas education process for all. Our diverse experience as journalists, content writers, editors, content strategists, and marketers helps create the most relevant and authentic blogs for our readers.

See More

Refer Your Friend & Earn upto ₹15000

Help your friend upgrade to a Global Career and earn rewards together.