The University of Leeds is located at Woodhouse, Leeds, LS2 9JT in the United Kingdom. The University of Leeds UK is a public research institution that was founded in 1874 with the name Yorkshire College of Science. It fused with the Leeds School of Medicine in 1884 and became Yorkshire College. The University was formally set up in 1904 and is one of the country’s premier educational institutions. Ranking amongst the world’s top-100 institutions, the university is also a Russell Group member. It is also one of the top-5 most-targeted institutions for recruiters of graduate students in the country as per reports. Its affiliations include-
2. Association of MBAs
6. N8 Group
7. Russell Group
8. Santander Network
9. Universities UK
11. White Rose Consortium
The University of Leeds ranking is 127 in THE (Times Higher Education) World University Rankings for 2022. It has ranked 9th in the UK for business and economics courses and 65th in the world. It has also attained a ranking of 92 in the QS World University Rankings.
There is the central campus at Leeds in West Yorkshire with everything present here. The campus is within walking distance from the city centre as well. The university offers cutting-edge research facilities to students and faculty members. Some of the facilities include Bio-Imaging and Flow Cytometry, the Dental Translational and Clinical Research Unit, Cohen Geochemistry Laboratory, a driving simulator, grass harvester, plasma analysis, and the Institute of Process Research and Development. The language of instruction is English.
The admission cycle begins from 15th October of the year which is the UCAS deadline for specific programmes. The access to application deadlines is 4th November and the final deadline is 26th January. 24th February is the access deadline for some other courses with the final application decision deadline being 19th May. The guaranteed place deadline is 1st July while results are published by 18th August. 28th September is the beginning of the term. A full-time workload at Leeds is 60 credits per semester. You will need to pass around 120 credits if you’re an undergraduate or 180 credits if you’re a taught postgraduate.
The University of Leeds admission process involves the following:
1. You should apply for full-time programmes via UCAS. The code is L23.
2. Postgraduate students may directly apply via the Lifelong Learning Centre.
3. Applications begin in October for PG applicants.
4. Supporting documents include academic and official transcripts, English language proficiency proof, scanned copies of permits/visas, portfolio/CV/personal statement depending on the course and so on.
5. Some courses require academic references.
Here are the University of Leeds admission requirements:
1. Entry requirements vary according to the course.
2. Undergraduate degrees require a minimum IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL iBT 87 or even PTE 60. Other acceptable qualifications include Password Skills (6.0), Cambridge English (169), Trinity College London ISE (Pass in ISE II or higher), NCUK English Language Test (6.0) and more.
3. Master’s degrees require IELTS 6.5 and TOEFL iBT 92 or PTE 64. They also require Password Skills scores of 6.5 and accept other English language proficiency scores as well.
The University of Leeds’ acceptance rate is 64%. The institution offers more than 300 courses at the undergraduate level along with 200 taught postgraduate courses spanning the seven academic faculties. Popular courses include the following:
2. Accounting and Finance
3. Electronic and Electrical Engineering
4. Mechanical Engineering
6. Business and Management
Full-time students will require 60 credits for each semester, applying for 60-100 credits for every semester if some preferences are unavailable.
Here is the schedule for AY2021-22:
1. Autumn term: Monday 27 September to Friday 10 December 2021
2. Spring term: Monday 10 January to Friday 25 March 2022
3. Summer term: Monday 25 April to Friday 17 June 2022
Here are the details on the semesters:
1. Autumn semester: Classes start: Monday 27 September 2021. Teaching finishes: Friday 10 December 2021
2. Spring semester: Classes start: Monday 24 January 2022 (start dates may vary by School). Classes finish: Friday 6 May 2022
Extra-curriculars and student diversity
The institution has 12,000+ international students from 130 nations and offers a vibrant and multicultural environment for learners. More than 300 student societies and clubs are operated by the Leeds University Student Union, covering diverse aspects like football, theatre, carving and more!
The University offers career support services to its students, providing assistance with job search, CV writing, interviews and applications. The Careers Centre offers guidance, events, modules and start-up assistance. Students get help with enhancing their employability and finding work experience opportunities as well. There is an Employer Engagement Team that connects students to leading recruiters. The Careers Centre also has a drop-in service on a daily basis along with a job portal with numerous vacancies. Top employers here include Jaguar Land Rover, Accenture, Teach First, IBM, John Lewis, and Unilever among others.
Famous alumni at the university include the following:
1. Tori Burgess, theatre personality and actor.
2. Nancy Carroll, actor.
3. Burry Cryer OBE, comedian, writer and actor.
4. Jack Fox, actor.
5. Deborah Findlay, actor.
6. Emma Mackey, actor.
7. Jamie Laing, actor.
8. Alistair McGowan, pianist and impressionist.
9. Wayne McGregor, choreographer and art director.
The average University of Leeds fees are £9,250 (INR 9.25 lakh) for 2022-23 as set by the Government for full-time students hailing from the UK. International students will have to find their fees for specific courses by entering their chosen subject. There are other administrative costs as well. The average UG course fee is £25,250 (INR 25,00,000 approx) per year and for master’s the fee is £11,250 (INR 11,00,000 approx). Monthly rent in Leeds can range from £698 to £1144 and one may have to spend £700-800 on meals and utilities.
Disclaimer! All course fees/salaries/expenses are indicative.
Start Your Study Abroad
✓ Save upto 30Lakh ✓ No IELTS required
✓End to end Visa/Application support
✓End to end Visa/Application support