The University of Memphis Admission 2023Memphis, USA
The University of Memphis was founded in the early years of the twentieth century, and it is a public research institute situated in the heart of Memphis, Tennessee. The University of Memphis has been educating students for more than a hundred years, and it presently has a diverse campus where students from more than eighty nationalities are getting educated.
The University of Memphis has a good faculty-to-student ratio of 1:16, and the university promises to make its students committed to the goals of community development and self-improvement at the same time.
The University offers 120 courses for its undergraduate students with minors in more than 82 disciplines. Apart from this, they have a total of 220 courses, some for those who just want to enhance their life skills without enrolling in the undergraduate or postgraduate program.
The acceptance rate is the number of students out of hundred applicants selected to be admitted to a university. According to the University of Memphis, the number of students who apply for their courses regularly exceeds the number of students who apply for the courses. They have an overall acceptance rate of 85%.
They are open to accepting transfer students who have completed a part of their undergraduate or graduate credits in some other college. They also allow dual admissions, that is, those students who want to apply for more than one major. And they are also open to people who just want to improve their life skills. All these factors make their programs highly competitive.
The University of Memphis has always ranked well in global indices for the best colleges. For instance, it has been ranked in the range of 1201-1400 according to the QS World University rankings. Likewise, it has been ranked 132 among the top public schools in the USA and 263 among 443 national universities by the US news and business report.
Apart from these overall rankings, the engineering and technology courses are very popular. And many of their engineering courses rank in the range of 401-500 according to the Times higher education rankings.
Acceptance Rate (General)
The University at present has more than twenty thousand students, and the University of Memphis acceptance rate is 85%. The university offers great support services for its prospective students who want to join any of its courses. Any new students who want to join this university can tour the campus every week. The prospective students can see for themselves the active campus life that the university has to offer.
Those students who cannot physically attend the university can take a virtual tour of the college by visiting the digital viewbook on the main webpage of the university. The university offers residential facilities for students who want to stay on campus. Apart from this, they offer scholarships to students who have a proven track record of excellence.
Undergraduate Acceptance Rate
The undergraduate acceptance rate for the University of Memphis is around 95%. This seems to be a high figure, but there is still great competition for the courses as this university offers excellent academics with great support services.
The university offers themed education to its first-year students. Fresh entrants to any undergraduate courses have to choose three subjects, and they get a themed education based on those subjects. The themes range from colonialism to the African civil war. Such themed education programs aim to give a broad outlook and open perspective to fresh students.
Postgraduate Acceptance Rate
Admission to postgraduate courses is also quite competitive. Some of their masters programs, like those in law, business administration, computer science, civil engineering, biology, and mechanical engineering, are highly competitive. They offer a wide variety of courses, and they often include new-age courses like bioinformatics in their curriculum, which makes their program all the more valuable.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
The admission process is fairly simple, and new students have to register and create a blue tiger account( membership ) account to start the admission process. Old students or dropouts can use their preexisting blue tiger accounts to start their readmission process.
If someone is wondering how to get admission to the University of Memphis, students must meet specific criteria. Read below to find out the University of Memphis admission criteria.
1. Transcripts for the last 3 years of high school
2. A GPA score of 2 or above for undergraduate courses and 3 or above for postgraduate courses
3. ACT or SAT scorecard. However, some courses, like the masters in business administration program, require a student to have a GMAT scorecard. GMAT scores are usually valid for 5 years from the date on which the test is taken. Students who have a GMAT score of at least 500 have a better chance of getting selected.
4. Certificate for language proficiency. Since English is the primary medium of communication at the University of Memphis, students who do not have English as their native language are supposed to take a language proficiency test like IELTS or TOEFL.
In order to register at the University of Memphis, you will need to submit some essential documents. Read further to find out the University of Memphis admission criteria.
1. Transcripts for the last three years in high school.
2. Letters of Recommendation ( some courses, like civil engineering, require three letters of recommendation) but most of the courses require two letters of recommendation
3. A personal essay is more like a statement of purpose (SOP).
4. ACT or SAT scorecard. GRE and GMAT scorecards for specific courses like business administration programs.
5. Language proficiency scorecard that is TOEFL or IELTS. ( this is not required for native English speakers)
6. The payment slip shows the payment of the admission fee of $25.
7. Bank statements showing the availability of funding for students who do not have scholarships.
Tests Required/Average Scores
The requirement for scorecards of standardized tests is course specific. However, for business administration programs, a minimum GMAT is essential, and most students who get selected have a score of above 700. Likewise, a minimum GRE score of 300 is considered competitive.
The most popular courses at the University of Memphis are programs in biology, law, computer science, chemical and mechanical engineering, accountancy, bioinformatics, etc. The university offers a wide range of courses, so there is something to suit everyone's interests. The university believes in educating its students for a competitive life beyond the classroom.
How University Evaluates Applicants?
The admission committee pays key attention to
- The GPA scores of the prospective student
- The scores in GMAT, SAT, and ACT however the weightage given to these scores depends on the major subject of study.
- The letters of recommendation
- The personal essay
Tips For Applying To A University
A good GPA is a positive factor; however, if someone does not have a great GPA, they can compensate for it by scoring exceptionally well on tests like SAT, GRE, etc. The personal essay is vital as it reflects the student's personality and helps the admission committee decide whether the student will be the right fit for a particular course.
The last date for applying for the spring session is the 1st of September, and the last date for applying for the fall session is the 1st of May.
All information provided on this page is for general use and upGrad Abroad is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Any action taken upon the information found on this website is strictly at your own risk.